Sponsored

Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Appreciate the not-at-all dramatic response. I expect you and I will agree to disagree, but the powered tonneau is not a core vehicle system and it's not integral to Rivian's long term success. It's a nice to have, creature comfort that is made less important by the locking storage in the frunk and gear tunnel. There is a reason that no OEM offers a power-retractable, sliding and stacking bed tonneau with their truck. Because it's really hard to design one that can survive the rigors of the real world, while also being remotely cost effective and space efficient. Properly solving the issue for both existing and future trucks will likely represent a non-trivial outlay of resources during their already very challenging manufacturing ramp. Which, maybe you haven't noticed, happens to be occurring during increasingly challenging economic conditions. I'm not saying they shouldn't fix your tonneau. They delivered you one, they should fix it. But I also don't think it's unreasonable for them to give you a manual tonneau if the repair is unable to resolve the issue.
My response is only as dramatic as the original assertion that I should ignore ky vehicle warranty.
Sponsored

rivpop

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
CIO
I can't help but jump in. My truck was delivered last July and the tonneau was busted when delivered. I just want something that works. It never has! Every person who comes up to look at the truck (quite a few folks) notices this cover sitting at an odd angle in the back of the truck and comments. Not a good look for Rivian. Love the truck but...
Just got my R1T delivered last week with the same situation (ordered with PTC and it came all janked up). Guide told me I could always buy the manual cover for $1800 if I want to cover my bed while I wait for a fix (not acknowledging that no one has seen the manual cover yet and no timeline for when they might be available, nor that the manual cover won't fit in the PTC tracks, etc.)

That said - other than continuing to wait, have you gotten any additional information or insight? Taking a page out of real-estate there could effectively be a hold-back where the amount paid is returned to you with a Due Bill for the amount when the PTC is made operable (either repaired or replaced).

rivpop

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
CIO
Appreciate the not-at-all dramatic response. I expect you and I will agree to disagree, but the powered tonneau is not a core vehicle system and it's not integral to Rivian's long term success. It's a nice to have, creature comfort that is made less important by the locking storage in the frunk and gear tunnel. There is a reason that no OEM offers a power-retractable, sliding and stacking bed tonneau with their truck. Because it's really hard to design one that can survive the rigors of the real world, while also being remotely cost effective and space efficient. Properly solving the issue for both existing and future trucks will likely represent a non-trivial outlay of resources during their already very challenging manufacturing ramp. Which, maybe you haven't noticed, happens to be occurring during increasingly challenging economic conditions. I'm not saying they shouldn't fix your tonneau. They delivered you one, they should fix it. But I also don't think it's unreasonable for them to give you a manual tonneau if the repair is unable to resolve the issue.
Have to say I'm in the disagree camp. Using a metaphor, customers effectively paid for a vacuum cleaner and got one that doesn't turn on, but it appears you are saying that in that situation getting a broom is a reasonable substitute.

It's not that a solution for a powered tonneau is impossible - it's a matter of priority for Rivian. There are electric hard cover tonneaus in the market (EGR Rolltrac, Pace Edwwards) so it's not like this is a first of its kind (other than the decision to go with a stacking slat vs rolling design that would seem at first glance to be more reliable and still support some decent weight on top.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Just got my R1T delivered last week with the same situation (ordered with PTC and it came all janked up).
What’s the build date? They stopped building trucks with the powdered cover months ago.

rivpop

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
CIO
What’s the build date? They stopped building trucks with the powdered cover months ago. Sponsored
VIN is <14000. I didnt check the build date but likely Aug/Sep 2022. I saw a few other PTCs in the shop but I wanted a Forest Edge interior.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
VIN is <14000. I didnt check the build date but likely Aug/Sep 2022. I saw a few other PTCs in the shop but I wanted a Forest Edge interior.
Ya mine is 9/22 129xx vin– I’m surprised you just got it last week. How is that possible!

rivpop

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
CIO
Ya mine is 9/22 129xx vin– I’m surprised you just got it last week. How is that possible!
Dunno, maybe they found some in the back of the factory. My guess is this was a sale that fell through last fall and they only made it available in the in early March. Again - total conjecture but I think likely.
Sponsored