Sponsored

Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive)

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I can already see the carefully crafted e-mail coming from Tony regarding the “no charge“ redesigned powered tonneau cover. This change in policy will be error #2 for Rivian after the price hike fiasco last year.

I see Rivian backtracking on the redesigned powered tonneau cover for owners who have the $1800 option. Owners will most likely be offered a complimentary manual cover as a replacement. Those who elect to keep it will still have it covered under the generous factory warranty.

Why do I predict this? For two reasons. First, the expense for Rivian to redesign, manufacture and install a new powered bed cover for 10k plus trucks currently in the field would be cost prohibitive. The rumor is that Rivian is already selling all pre-orders at well below COGS.

Second, open the Rivian R1T “visualizer” and build out an R1T. Notice that Rivian has quietly removed the powered tonneau cover option. Only the $1800 manual bed cover is available.

Let the bitching begin…

Rivian R1T R1S Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive) 699F57B2-A12D-46AF-9C5C-9947D173E6BA
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I agree with you except for one part of what you said. That there is a real person named “Tony” who will craft said email and not a Normal High School intern using ChatGPT.

Otherwise I think you are correct and it will be a $hitshow when they announce it.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Agreed. I can already see the outcry from those with the temperamental powered tonneau cover option.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I wonder if any class action attorney types are going to jump on this one. Seems like low hanging fruit. The class has already suffered damages in paying for a non-functional item, in many cases for over a year. Lost resale value. Etc...

I am not saying that is a good thing....just curious.

And I do love my Rivian. The brand is awesome. Even with a janky tonneau cover. Still best truck I have ever owned. Not shitting on Rivian in anyway. All brands have issues. And I would buy another R1 in a heartbeat.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Rivian didn't quietly remove the powered tonneau cover option from the visualizer / configurator. They publicly announced the removal when they decided to halt production of the malfunctioning covers.

But I agree with your prediction, and have been suggesting this across forums and subreddits for close to a year now. Fixing all of those broken tonneau covers seems like a huge commitment of time and resources for Service Centers that are already having difficulty meeting the service demands of their local customer base.

I know the solution is complicated, which is probably why it has taken so long to receive clear communication on their direction forward. However, at this point, the only thing we can really do is hope for the best. To echo R1Tom, the R1T is hands-down, the best truck I have ever driven, and the powered tonneau is an awesome feature when it works. Rivian has exceeded expectations in so many ways that I am holding out hope that they will do so again.

Regardless of the ultimate outcome, I just hope Rivian clearly communicates their actionable strategy soon, so loyal, deserving customers can plan accordingly.

Sponsored

bmcenaney

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Sure doesn't seem like they "quietly" removed the powered tonneau from the configurator...

Rivian R1T R1S Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive) 1677116651784

Rivian R1T R1S Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive) 1677116857669

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Sure doesn't seem like they "quietly" removed the powered tonneau from the configurator...

1677116651784.png

1677116857669.png
Those are online text announcements. I think he wanted an audio message.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The answer from Rivian on Reddit today disputes this assumption. Again, not getting an answer is not the same as the answer is they are giving up on the tonneau cover. Rivian doesn’t share timelines or roadmaps but when they decide something they do announce it. There are literally no facts to support any assumption they are going to not redesign the cover.

Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
The answer from Rivian on Reddit today disputes this assumption. Again, not getting an answer is not the same as the answer is they are giving up on the tonneau cover. Rivian doesn’t share timelines or roadmaps but when they decide something they do announce it. There literally no facts to support any assumption they are going to not redesign the cover.
True, but what else is this forum good for if not to rehash the same baseless claims and speculations over and over again?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

While I do think that most of what you mentioned is very likely I do have other thoughts:

1. With what you mentioned about Rivian having to install a replacement for 10k vehicles, I don’t think it would be as cost prohibitive as it seems. This will not be handled as a recall and this also assumes all R1Ts with the power tonneau will fail. I am sure that a good amount of trucks have working covers (either they have been lucky or like me they don’t use it often). If Rivian can just repair these with a redesigned cover as a service bulletin if a service ticket for a failed tonneau is entered it can be addressed at that time. Assuming the actual redesign part is something they can or did work out already then implementing it shouldn’t be any more cost to them as it is to remove the powered tonneau and swap it for a manual one for existing owners.

2. I also doubt Rivian will outright abandon the powered tonneau, especially if competitors like the Cybertruck are going to offer one. Also I feel it’s not like them to just have a good amount of wasted space at the end of the bed. But also that’s not to say they will just deal with the existing trucks now and relaunch the powered tonneau in the future.

3. Lost revenue on future orders. I know that currently the manual tonneau is being offered for $1000 more than what the price increase ordered paid for the powered tonneau. But if they can raise the prices of the powered tonneau after the redesign perhaps that can be a way to recoup some of the investment in the redesign?

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
As a replacement for the tonneau?
As the subject title of Tony's Upgraded Power Replacement Tonneau Cover email.

OT, Imma gonna be at the Denver RSC with pitchforks and torches if your R1T aint delivered s00n.
Sponsored