Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I predict that we see a Tony email about “the powered tonneau update coming later in the year, but soon” in late March to early April.

I am starting to wonder if they should just cut their losses, reimburse the broken powered tonneau folks, and let the aftermarket fill the gap, as it were. Not saying that I want that to happen but it would give us all clarity right away and may be better for Rivian’s resource allocation.
I am wondering the same. Pay compensation out to the 16k who have the powered cover and then stop all work on it.
It is a cool feature but the recall will take a long time to work through and cost a lot. Then if they continue for new builds in 2024 they open themselves up to warranty claims going forward.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I am wondering the same. Pay compensation out to the 16k who have the powered cover and then stop all work on it.
It is a cool feature but the recall will take a long time to work through and cost a lot. Then if they continue for new builds in 2024 they open themselves up to warranty claims going forward.
Stockholder Me: Yes!
Truck Owner Me: NO!

SmileyDude

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2021 Ford Mach-E Select
Hoping they will allow people like myself who had a powered tonneau cover downgraded to a manual one have the option to get the new powered one instead. I would much rather have a powered one (though either would be better than what I have right now...)

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I am starting to wonder if they should just cut their losses, reimburse the broken powered tonneau folks, and let the aftermarket fill the gap, as it were. Not saying that I want that to happen but it would give us all clarity right away and may be better for Rivian’s resource allocation.
Just because the Rivian fix doesn't align with someone else's arbitrary expected timeframe is complete hysterics. They are a capable enough company to allocate resources in multiple areas.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Just dropped my truck ant the service center and got some new water cooler talk from the service manager that should stir the pot! He said he’s heard the powered cover is currently in durability testing and he believes it’s gonna be like a roll gate design. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Just dropped my truck ant the service center and got some new water cooler talk from the service manager that should stir the pot! He said he’s heard the powered cover is currently in durability testing and he believes it’s gonna be like a roll gate design. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Occupation
IT
Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau Permanent Fix Coming in March?! "Rivian called - Permanent fix expected in March" -- per The Kilowatts 9qj7fmy0sdpo9nkj4hzo5gt90ib48neqxeco62p7&rid=giphy

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
What is a "roll gate" tonneau cover?

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That would be interesting just not sure how they could get one designed as stiff as the current one is when closed that would be able to roll into that existing space. 🤷🏻

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
No. It rolls instead of stacks. Still powered.
Ah - yes - my mind went to something like the Retrax I had on my Raptor. They indeed do roll instead of stack. FWIW - I also had a powered Retrax at one point that died within a year and was subsequently replaced by the manual version.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T