Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I fully expect this to be processed like a recall and they'll issue it against every VIN with a powered tonneau just for simplicities sake. I also fully intend to request mine is replaced with the updated revision even though mine has never been problematic (used it today in fact) if for any reason they do not issue it against all VINs with a powered tonneau.

I believe this is a reasonable customer expectation and unlike many on these forums, I believe Rivian will ultimately do the 'right' thing.
Sponsored

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban

Gully

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, R1T
6k miles on mine that was delivered in June. If it gets really dirty I will not open it which is what heard is what causes the failure. Been camping and up to the slopes many times and have not had an issue. In other words, mine works too
Mine worked for 5 months until I took my truck in to get some squeaks taken care of in the suspension and when I picked it up it was jammed half open.

I was livid.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Fix may be coming, but I'm guessing it'll be a while until it gets to new prodution vehicles.

Sprout

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FE FG 21 ORP
Occupation
RADIAC tech
I will say I don’t know If dual motors will work (syncing issues) and having a long shaft going to the other side does seem to permit some flex which creates the potential for uneven stacking.
My thoughts: run the current motor with a shaft that goes to the center of the panels and engages a gear that then sends the drive to each side equally. If the shaft is equal length from that center engagement point the torque/twist should be equalized and prevent the potential for binding.
Modern electronics can do some amazing things.

Sponsored

pathfinder2

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 4runner, KS S18
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
I'm really hoping that someone with inside knowledge or influence could leak even a small tidbit of information about the powered tonneau. With the increasing number of people who may not see it as a useful feature, I'm worried that it might be overlooked or not prioritized. For those of us who consider it a critical feature, we may end up being left out in the cold. It would be great to get some clarity on this.

Sprout

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FE FG 21 ORP
Occupation
RADIAC tech
Agreed but I wonder if a simple mechanical fix is cheaper/easier than 2 motors with the necessary sensors/controller to prevent the cause of failure of the current design
More than likely cheaper/easier, but should that always be the deciding factor?

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
Fix what's out there, then add a retrofit option for the later models that shipped without...

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

More than likely cheaper/easier, but should that always be the deciding factor?
Probably "yes," if they both achieve the desired result. Longevity and ease/cost of repair/replacement should probably factor in as well.

Sponsored

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neon
Occupation
Employed
Other than Rivian being bad at dates, what's the reasoning? They've probably been working on this for almost a year. Depending on what the fix is it may not be that hard to develop and manufacture.
Try at least a year to ramp a product line.

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
Spoke to my guide about this about 2 weeks ago. From his knowledge, it will be a year before the powered tonneau cover will be released. Still in development, will need to tested, etc., prior to release. I will be getting a manual tonneau cover. It will be added to my order and shipped to me once they are available to ship. I will be taking delivery this week.
Hope this helps,

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Spoke to my guide about this about 2 weeks ago. From his knowledge, it will be a year before the powered tonneau cover will be released. Still in development, will need to tested, etc., prior to release. I will be getting a manual tonneau cover. It will be added to my order and shipped to me once they are available to ship. I will be taking delivery this week.
Hope this helps,
Did your guide say when the manual cover will be available?

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
Did your guide say when the manual cover will be available?
Maybe March. I will need to speak with him today. Much has happened since we last spoke. I will blame it on the R1 shop lol. The config I chose did not have the manual cover added so I will need to have my guide add it today. I will check back in when I have spoken with him.
Hope this helps,
tren01t

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I predict that we see a Tony email about “the powered tonneau update coming later in the year, but soon” in late March to early April.

I am starting to wonder if they should just cut their losses, reimburse the broken powered tonneau folks, and let the aftermarket fill the gap, as it were. Not saying that I want that to happen but it would give us all clarity right away and may be better for Rivian’s resource allocation.
Sponsored

Reactions: Guy