Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It's literally in your quoted email...

We want you to know we are aware of the issue and are working on a solution and a process for replacing existing tonneau covers.

They are replacing all current powered tonneaus, working or not. Timing is one thing, but if you have an existing tonneau, functional or non, it will be replaced at some point.
Given Rivian‘s history of poor communication, you might be reading into this too much.
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Given Rivian‘s history of poor communication, you might be reading into this too much.
It's been backed up by service advisors, guides, etc.

Yes, Rivian's communication has been awful in a lot of ways, but this is not one of them. I don't know how they could be more clear than saying we're working on a solution and process for replacing existing tonneau covers.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It's literally in your quoted email...

We want you to know we are aware of the issue and are working on a solution and a process for replacing existing tonneau covers.

They are replacing all current powered tonneaus, working or not. Timing is one thing, but if you have an existing tonneau, functional or non, it will be replaced at some point.
Correct, but it does not explicitly say it will be replaced with a powered one which was my point. Certainly that would have been the goal, but it's not promised and the "solution" could be the manual one and a credit which would still be within the bounds of this language. Not to mention it also says "working on...." which also means nothing is promised with regards to reaching a solution, other than they are working on it.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
You are reading this completely different than I am. They are “working on a solution and a process for replacing existing tonneau covers“. If you are reading this to mean their solution is to stick us with a faulty design that doesn’t work then I think you are being overly pessimistic. I fully intend to hold them to the warranty I have and the only reasonable reading of the email.
No, that's not my interpretation. My interpretation is only what it literally says. It says they are working on a solution. What that solution will be is not defined. All of the below would be solutions (whether anyone agrees with them as being satisfactory is beside the point):

- new powered design

They "worked" on a comprehensive solution to replace with another powered, but were unsuccessful, leading to one of these options:
- manual tonneau replacement, with or without partial credit
- no tonneau, likely with a full credit
- do nothing and just keep repairing existing ones under warranty and stop producing any powered ones indefinitely

Based purely on their communication, all of those are possible.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Correct, but it does not explicitly say it will be replaced with a powered one which was my point. Certainly that would have been the goal, but it's not promised and the "solution" could be the manual one and a credit which would still be within the bounds of this language. Not to mention it also says "working on...." which also means nothing is promised with regards to reaching a solution, other than they are working on it.
The FAQ linked in that Tony email says it:

What will change about the powered tonneau cover design?
The updated design addresses subcomponent design issues and improves the tonneau cover's robustness against manufacturing build variations. The look and function of the new design is the same.
I'm not saying that can't/won't change, but as of now the official Rivian position is you will be receiving a replacement powered tonneau.

Sponsored

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
No, that's not my interpretation. My interpretation is only what it literally says. It says they are working on a solution. What that solution will be is not defined. All of the below would be solutions (whether anyone agrees with them as being satisfactory is beside the point):

- new powered design

They "worked" on a comprehensive solution to replace with another powered, but were unsuccessful, leading to one of these options:
- manual tonneau replacement, with or without partial credit
- no tonneau, likely with a full credit
- do nothing and just keep repairing existing ones under warranty and stop producing any powered ones indefinitely

Based purely on their communication, all of those are possible.
I understand that there may be several solutions to the problem. I would only dispute the do nothing approach as a legitimate option. It makes no sense for them to constantly repair the existing inventory.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
The FAQ linked in that Tony email says it:

I'm not saying that can't/won't change, but as of now the official Rivian position is you will be receiving a replacement powered tonneau.
I had not seen that part, only the email. That certainly moves the needle toward there being a powered replacement ultimately.

It also somewhat confirms what has been theorized/rumored that it's not necessarily a matter of time with anyone's tonneau breaking, it's a matter of variability/consistency in the build, so you either have a defective one bound to fail, or you have a good one that could last 15 years. And they potentially know which is which based on VIN. In which case it's within the realm of possibility some with still working (good?) ones won't be replaced, at least at first. Just throwing that out for those that rush to their local SC for a replacement and are told they have to wait.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I understand that there may be several solutions to the problem. I would only dispute the do nothing approach as a legitimate option. It makes no sense for them to constantly repair the existing inventory.
Agreed, it most likely does not. I only included ones consistent with the language, not consistent with reason.

However, the FAQ certainly suggests the first option is overwhelmingly likely. But until they say here is the new design, it's just the most likely outcome, not the promised one.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I had not seen that part, only the email. That certainly moves the needle toward there being a powered replacement ultimately.

It also somewhat confirms what has been theorized/rumored that it's not necessarily a matter of time with anyone's tonneau breaking, it's a matter of variability/consistency in the build, so you either have a defective one bound to fail, or you have a good one that could last 15 years. And they potentially know which is which based on VIN. In which case it's within the realm of possibility some with still working (good?) ones won't be replaced, at least at first. Just throwing that out for those that rush to their local SC for a replacement and are told they have to wait.
My guess is the "some" portion of the heading on that page likely excludes those who buy an R1T once the new design is integrated into the production line. My powered tonneau hasn't had any issues at all, and I still got the email stating it would be replaced.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
My guess is the "some" portion of the heading on that page likely excludes those who buy an R1T once the new design is integrated into the production line. My powered tonneau hasn't had any issues at all, and I still got the email stating it would be replaced.
As did I.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Plus let's not all forget.....perfectly working covers, have the potential, to stop working at any moment, due to a unique binding situation, etc... and are covered (pun intended) for the duration of the bumper to bumper warranty period.

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
Im guessing the solution is in March they launch the manual cover and send us all poor broken souls one for free. Lol

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
As easy as it is for my CNC machine to become out of step with itself using a dual motor single track setup for the Y axis, I'd be weary of the dual motor setup unless it was self correcting somehow.

I think a mechanically linked solution would probably be best (stiffer rod with less torsion, or some other similar setup?)
100% true. More complexity will not make this system more reliable.

achanster

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450H
Occupation
VP
Misconception is they all fail, mines works perfectly for 10 months.
6k miles on mine that was delivered in June. If it gets really dirty I will not open it which is what heard is what causes the failure. Been camping and up to the slopes many times and have not had an issue. In other words, mine works too
Sponsored