First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
This is for those that don't want to be stuck with their bed either open or closed. I want it closed for efficiency but the ability to open it up if I want to toss a motorcycle back there from time to time, and I don't want to have to bring it to Rivian each time I want to change it. It's is pretty simple. See the thread on how to get the slats in or out of the storage bay to start with. You'll need all slats out:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/diy-tonneau-repairs-anyone-try-to-do-this-yet.6208/

Once you have all slats out of the storage bay and resting in the rails, there are retainer caps on the rails toward the tailgate (mine are already removed but you get the idea):
Rivian R1T R1S Powered to Manual Tonneau Bed Cover Conversion -- DIY how-to with photos 20221028_091335

Rivian R1T R1S Powered to Manual Tonneau Bed Cover Conversion -- DIY how-to with photos 20221028_091339

There are two very small torx on top of the cap. They're not hard to remove, I actually used a small allen key to remove them with no stripping. But here lies the rub; there is also one torx on the bottom of the retainer that is basically impossible to get to without ripping everything apart. So I grabbed my need nose and gave it a twist, it snapped off pretty easily. I'll deal with the consequences of that, if there are any, when Rivian has a permanent fix.
Rivian R1T R1S Powered to Manual Tonneau Bed Cover Conversion -- DIY how-to with photos 20221028_091639

Now the slats slide easily in and out and are held in place by the tailgate. You can remove them all and store in the gear tunnel. When you re-install them, make sure to snap each to the last for a tight fit.
Rivian R1T R1S Powered to Manual Tonneau Bed Cover Conversion -- DIY how-to with photos 20221028_091433

Personally I think this should be what Rivian does for us at the SC. Having the tonneau either stuck closed or open isn't a particularly good solution and this was very easy to accomplish.
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

McGrubber attacks again

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Are the rail channels the same for powered and manual? I wonder...

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Are the rail channels the same for powered and manual? I wonder...
I get the feeling thats a yes. What I read on the manual was that you basically do the same thing, but they're just less, larger slats.

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
McGrubber attacks again
You're not lying. I had my whole bed ripped apart about 75 miles and 48 hours into ownership because I needed a truck to move with with the bed OPEN. I'm sure it's all held together now by about 25% of the factory clips.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

You're not lying. I had my whole bed ripped apart about 75 miles and 48 hours into ownership because I needed a truck to move with with the bed OPEN. I'm sure it's all held together now by about 25% of the factory clips.
It's fine...probably only needs 10% of those clips.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I lot of people has said this won't be the case, but I have the same feeling you do.
Honestly I would have taken the extra six inches used up by the storage bay and this type of manual system over the auto system in the first place.

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Honestly I would have taken the extra six inches used up by the storage bay and this type of manual system over the auto system in the first place.
I've had no problem waiting for OC to come out, and when it did I switched to auto (from manual) for a very short time. After about two weeks I was like, "nope this is not worth it" and switched back to manual. Doubt I've changed my place in line, but glad manual is an option before my delivery.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I've had no problem waiting for OC to come out, and when it did I switched to auto (from manual) for a very short time. After about two weeks I was like, "nope this is not worth it" and switched back to manual. Doubt I've changed my place in line, but glad manual is an option before my delivery.
I would have done the same BUT the manual still has the storage locker in the front of the bed as best as I can tell, it just goes unused. I'm happy enough with my jank setup and the truck in my driveway.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Great find on this. I'm hopeful that someone will come up with some good aftermarket manual options that use the factory tracks. I know there was originally talk that the manual cover would also be able to double as a table, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. An aftermarket 2 or 3 panel solution that does double as a table would be pretty cool though.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
So I'm trying to understand exactly what you've done here. Have you broken off those two rear-end pieces that stop the panels from sliding out the back? And, now you can slide panels in and out manually as you need?

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
So I'm trying to understand exactly what you've done here. Have you broken off those two rear-end pieces that stop the panels from sliding out the back? And, now you can slide panels in and out manually as you need?
Unscrewed the torx from the top of the end caps and broke off the bottom tab because I didn't feel like ripping apart the walls of the bed to get to the last torx on each side.
Sponsored