First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Product design and manufacturing engineer
After some very basic experimentation I would bet a cooler (including this fridge design) would be fine in the frunk at a campsite, ie parked. In that mode the frunk seems to stay at a consistent temp. It's when you start driving that things fall apart, that frunk get's very hot. I'd have to watch the Munro live video again, but there is something near the frunk that get plenty hot.

I hope to be proved wrong, as the design is slick, and the price is more than fair, a standard Domestic costs about the same.
People are already using electric coolers in the frunk without issue:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/vehicle-fridge-temperature-impact-in-frunk.5074/
Sponsored

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Haha good point! Honestly washing off after a day at the lake would be great, didn't think about that.
Yeah try TWO Chows at the beach. It's like four dogs worth of hair full of sand and salt water. Kidding aside there are lots of little things on a daily basis that you would never think of where having 12 gallons and a sprayer come in handy.

It also takes up space that is essentially wasted anyway.

Last edited:

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
The webbing and handles are designed to be used with user-provided cross beams like Arc of the Covenen... am I old? Empty about 20lbs, loaded: 40Q of gatorade would be 83.45 pounds (37.85kg) more.

The height to lift clear of the Frunk leading edge is probably a two-person job when full.
The handle actually is designed to be wide enough for a 2 x 4 to make it easier for those of us North of 50 to easily and safely load it if needed.

Speaking of being North of 50. I'm not all that great with the whole social media thing so any help form from you guys more comfortable with Redit and such spreading the word about this project would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

Johann

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
Product Manager
Interested in cooler and tank as well. great stuff!

TheRiviAnswer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Anyone else notice the front trunk gets really warm? The AC compressor or some thing else that gives off a lot of heat must be right below it. The bottom of the front trunk gets hot to the touch. Has this been taking into consideration when designing the refrigerator?

Sponsored

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3

r1s-owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer (Principal Architect)
This is beyond cool (ha!) and you can mark me down as someone that would be interested in knowing more as this progresses.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I'm interested already running an Iceco20 in the front and love it. The water I would be using for a shower is there a way to safely add a heater to the tank?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

How would you flush the water out of the tank does it all have to be pumped? with potable water i would want to dump and flush quite often 12G of water weight in the bottom of the frunk doesn't look like something I'm lifting out easily.

zgStevieD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & OneWheel XR
Occupation
Oilfield Trash
INTERESTED in both!

Sponsored

ryanpei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Ford F150 Hybrid
I'm in.
No plug, but willing to hook up to the "left behind" wiring.

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
EV's tend to appeal to tech-savvy people. What is $20K for you may be just a few hours of freetime for some of your customers. If you stick in a well documented chip like an esp32 and share basic details about the interface, there is a pretty good chance that a customer would jump in and build firmware and apps for fun.
An off the shelf battery powered BT temp sensor that works with smartthings or Apple/Google Home would have the same effect and be very cheap.

lorenv

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mazda 3 mini electric
Occupation
engineer
Another design thought for The water tank. Instead of pump, what about it being a pressurized tank. We do have The compressor. This should provide higher pressures and flow rates

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

@BoxGods, we don’t NEED one of these but the design and apparent quality sure make me want one! Really outstanding work from what I saw in the pics. We’re probably 6 to 9 months from delivery of our R1S, but if we do need a fridge/freezer I will buy to support you and your work. I could see this being used in the frunk or in the cargo area of an R1S.

:idea:

I may be able to justify it because it runs on 12v which means it can go from our current LR3 to our future Rivian to our (solar-charged) camper and back again. No waiting for the camper’s propane fridge to chill.
Sponsored