Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

FWIW I've had the same issue (90-100+ degree days) with the GO20 not maintaining 0 degrees in direct sunlight... but ultimately I think that's an expectations mismatch. It will still happily hold below freezing which is good enough for my use cases. This isn't a deep freezer or ice maker, it's to keep food from spoiling on a weeklong trip and to keep drinks cold.
Good to know it's not just me. I have a use case that requires it to be belo freezing. I'd love to see a solution with some vents. Maybe a hole (like a round deck cover on a boat) that can be opened and closed.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Good to know it's not just me. I have a use case that requires it to be belo freezing. I'd love to see a solution with some vents. Maybe a hole (like a round deck cover on a boat) that can be opened and closed.
Sure, but isn't 10 degrees well below freezing?

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Sure, but isn't 10 degrees well below freezing?
USDA and FDA guidelines say freezers should be 0 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. So while technically below freezing, it's not enough for freezing in the cooler. As a perfect example, I went to the park over the weekend and the cooler couldn't get below 14 degrees. I brought some popsicles to surprise the kids and instead of them being solid, they were almost mush. :(

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The freezing temp of water is 32F, but foods aren't pure water. The freezing point of some food items are as low as 0F -- although most aren't that low. It's perfectly safe to store any food at 10F. Indeed anything below 40F restricts the growth of bacteria sufficiently to remain safe.

You might have stuff thaw though, which is a real problem for something like popsicles, ice cream, etc. and which will lower the quality of food if stored in less than ideal temp long term.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Product design and manufacturing engineer
USDA and FDA guidelines say freezers should be 0 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. So while technically below freezing, it's not enough for freezing in the cooler. As a perfect example, I went to the park over the weekend and the cooler couldn't get below 14 degrees. I brought some popsicles to surprise the kids and instead of them being solid, they were almost mush. :(
Those recommendations also have a time component--as in long term freezer storage--think 3 to 6 months or more. Aka long term. Coolers like this are not meant for that kind of use.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Those recommendations also have a time component--as in long term freezer storage--think 3 to 6 months or more. Aka long term. Coolers like this are not meant for that kind of use.
Yeah, I guess this is what I'm getting at. 10-20 degrees is going to be fine to keep your frozen burger patties or salmon filets safe for a week of camping, or to keep frozen groceries intact during a long day of errands. It's probably not going to keep a pint of ice cream in ship shape for days on end, and you aren't going to flash-freeze the catch of the day in there... I guess that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I though it was implicitly understood that job #1 was to keep beers frosty anyway 😉

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Yeah, I guess this is what I'm getting at. 10-20 degrees is going to be fine to keep your frozen burger patties or salmon filets safe for a week of camping, or to keep frozen groceries intact during a long day of errands. It's probably not going to keep a pint of ice cream in ship shape for days on end, and you aren't going to flash-freeze the catch of the day in there... I guess that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I though it was implicitly understood that job #1 was to keep beers frosty anyway 😉
People seem to have a wide range of expectations around powered 12VDC coolers. Mine align with yours. These are not intended to work exactly like your home refrigerator or the chest freezer in your garage. Physics still apply. If you fill the cooler with room temperature items, set both sides to 0 degrees, then put it in your frunk and drive in the desert at 100F + the compressor and fans will run continuously for several days and struggle to get everything frozen to zero. There is only so much you can do with 75 watts of power in less than ideal conditions--aka not your climate controlled house.

If you plug the cooler in at home a few days before your trip and/or put pre-chilled items in it, set the freezer side to 20, (which is perfectly safe) and set the cooler side to 35, (also perfectly safe) you give the cooler a head start and it will not have to work as hard and draw as much off of your battery. If you can give it 2 or 3 days with the freezer set to 0 F that is even better because you're then banking some cold so to speak. Then set it back to 20 F when you are on truck power.

Tequila and Vodka are also nice chilled and they take up less space--I am all about efficiency =)

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The real question for me will be: How long will one of these freezer/cooler splits keep an ice cream sandwich frozen? There's a place in Bryson City, NC that has the absolute best handmade ice cream sandwiches, but I'm not always driving through Bryson City at lunch time. I'd really just like to buy 4 of those things and get 2 of them to lunch and the other 2 to after dinner.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
The real question for me will be: How long will one of these freezer/cooler splits keep an ice cream sandwich frozen? There's a place in Bryson City, NC that has the absolute best handmade ice cream sandwiches, but I'm not always driving through Bryson City at lunch time. I'd really just like to buy 4 of those things and get 2 of them to lunch and the other 2 to after dinner.
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a handmade Ice cream sandwich.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Any updates on how many left needed on the wait-list?
Sorry, I didn't see this. The Frunk Tank is already entering production so I assume you mean the cooler? The last time I looked it was just over 130. You can see / follow the latest counts for all the projects on the news chyron at the top of our forum home page HERE

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
A quick update on the 12 Gal Frunk Tank project. We just pulled the first sample part from the mold tooling and it looks awesome. As an FYI, the sample is in white to make any issues more visible--production parts will be the water tank blue shown in my earlier posts.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Looks great! Congrats. I'm bummed I missed the first pre-order. I hope there is another one soon.
Sponsored