First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Product design and manufacturing engineer
How are the numbers looking for the fridge/freezer?
Slightly more than for the water tank. Last time I looked it was 72 or 73. So getting there. I think once people see us follow through on the water tank they will be less concerned.
Sponsored

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

What is the story with using a 12v fridge? (assuming you have a frunk 12v). Will the main battery recharge if it gets below a certain voltage? Does the 110 run off of the main battery or little 12v? If it is the larger pack, it would be preferable to use the fridge's 110 instead of 12v (even though less efficient) so as to not drain the 12v. In my 4Runner I put in an Optima battery that lets it run for several days without draining but the Rivian's two small batteries seem suspect.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
What is the story with using a 12v fridge? (assuming you have a frunk 12v). Will the main battery recharge if it gets below a certain voltage? Does the 110 run off of the main battery or little 12v? If it is the larger pack, it would be preferable to use the fridge's 110 instead of 12v (even though less efficient) so as to not drain the 12v. In my 4Runner I put in an Optima battery that lets it run for several days without draining but the Rivian's two small batteries seem suspect.
The 12v in the frunk here is only powered when the main pack is energized and topping off the 12v batteries, so there's not risk of draining the 12v batteries here.

The downside is you also need to keep the truck powered (e.g. via camp mode) to keep the fridge cool, or add a buffer battery somewhere in the loop.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

That is actually good. Id rather do camp mode then be stressed of running out the mini 12v batteries. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

The test print finally arrived! It is glorious!

Two thoughts for all the people eager to see it:
1. This is a 3D print for shape and fit. It has no hose ports.
2. This was printed in 4 sections, joined, and painted with white primer so the part fit would be more visible in pictures. The actual rotomolded production parts will be the blue shown in all the product renders.

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) 20221222_140725

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) 20221222_140732
Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) 20221222_140742

If you want to follow development progress the thread is here: https://rivian-aftermarket.proboards.com/thread/14/gallon-frunk-water-tank-sign

Last edited:

Sponsored

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
It looks like Duck is out of the country until mid January, so if there is an R1T owner in the Portland area that wants to help out with a test fit of the frunk tank test mule, please PM me or Jeff so we can schedule something. You can check out Jeff's new R1S and maybe have lunch or something =)

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Thanks to everyone that reached out to offer their R1T for test fitting the 12 gallon water tank--it is very much appreciated!

Jeff met with Snomad this evening and everything went well--the tank fits both the R1T and R1S like it was born there =)

I am hammering out all the final production tooling quotes and parts sourcing now and will be in touch with everyone that has signed up in the next week or so.

PROGRESS =)

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Is there a timeline on the fridge?

Heatth

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director of Ops and Tech
I'm late to the party but I'm in!

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

I am not sure if this was asked before. what happens with the extra weight in the front of the truck? will it sag down at any levels of the suspension because of added weight?

Sponsored

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I don't believe I have a 12v plug in my Frunk does someone have a photo of what that would look like maybe I am over looking it???

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I am not sure if this was asked before. what happens with the extra weight in the front of the truck? will it sag down at any levels of the suspension because of added weight?
There should be no sag issues. The truck auto levels to account for payload distribution.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Is there a timeline on the fridge?
We need to get to 150 sign-ups to start production on the cooler. We are currently at about 90.

If you;re interested you can sign up HERE.

We are about to start production on the 12 gallon frunk tank and shortly after the slide out utility tray. My hope is that once people see those projects completed they will be more comfortable signing up for the cooler.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
We need to get to 150 sign-ups to start production on the cooler. We are currently at about 90.

If you;re interested you can sign up HERE.

We are about to start production on the 12 gallon frunk tank and shortly after the slide out utility tray. My hope is that once people see those projects completed they will be more comfortable signing up for the cooler.
Have you considered moving to something like Kickstarter or Indiegogo where you can get a bit more visibility and harder commitments? That might help make things a bit more "real." The current sign up process is a bit uncertain + relatively high friction.
Sponsored