Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
We post about our projects on several different forums and I can't ask people from other forums to join here to sign up. It would not be fair to the people that run those forums.

It is also easier to have one location where I can post progress updates for each project so everyone knows exactly where we are. I know it is an extra step, and I know your time is valuable. I just don't know of another way is fair to everyone.
You could do it like 99.9% of other companies do it, have a webpage with a box where you put your email address in and hit submit. Then, periodically, you send out email update blasts.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Can anyone who’s taken recent delivery confirm whether the 12v outlet wiring is still there behind the frunk wall? I’m interested in the cooler/ water tank but I don’t want to order the powered cooler only to find out Rivian stopped adding the wiring.

The thread confirming the wiring was there was over a month ago now and was posted immediately after Rivian deleted the outlet. They have now had time to stop adding the wiring during the production process If that was their goal.

I would still sign up for the non powered version if this is the case. Just want to choose the right one.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Product design and manufacturing engineer
Can anyone who’s taken recent delivery confirm whether the 12v outlet wiring is still there behind the frunk wall? I’m interested in the cooler/ water tank but I don’t want to order the powered cooler only to find out Rivian stopped adding the wiring.

The thread confirming the wiring was there was over a month ago now and was posted immediately after Rivian deleted the outlet. They have now had time to stop adding the wiring during the production process If that was their goal.

I would still sign up for the non powered version if this is the case. Just want to choose the right one.
I don't think Rivian could actually remove that leg / branch of the wire bundle as it is the 13.6V loop that powers the light cluster--turn signals and head lights. IOW they originally powered the 12VDC frunk plug off of an existing and necessary leg of the wiring harness that can't be removed.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
You could do it like 99.9% of other companies do it, have a webpage with a box where you put your email address in and hit submit. Then, periodically, you send out email update blasts.
Excellent idea! I went ahead and added an email link to each items sign up page for those that would prefer to just use email. No site registration required.

Simple. Elegant. Problem solved. Thanks Future Truck =)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don't think Rivian could actually remove that leg / branch of the wire bundle as it is the 13.6V loop that powers the light cluster--turn signals and head lights. IOW they originally powered the 12VDC frunk plug off of an existing and necessary leg of the wiring harness that can't be removed.
That makes sense. Someone with a 12xxx VIN actually confirmed it’s still there as well.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...none-in-frunk-for-r1t.8716/page-9#post-236384

Sponsored

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
I made a structural revision to the water tank body.

Originally there was a single center 3 inch deep "rib" that stiffened the top and worked as a baffle to keep water from sloshing while cornering. I changed it to a pair of top to bottom columns--it would maybe be more accurate to call them "support walls"--that still work as baffles but now provide more structure for heavy items resting on top of the tank.

The change likely cost us 1/4 gallon of total capacity--from 12.5 down to 12.25 gallons--but worth it IMO as it will stiffen up the tank quite a bit.

I am including some images of the change below. If you're not 100% clear on how the support walls work internally, just let me know and I can add a cross section view.

Unless anyone has suggestions for other changes they might like to see, it is looking like we are about ready to 3D print a prototype and test the fit.

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) 188

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) 189

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) 190

lorenv

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mazda 3 mini electric
Occupation
engineer
Minor point, but a question regarding your depressions for the locking posts on the upper cooler. Currently you have 2 pucks in-line with each other. Would a third indent/mount point for the upper cooler provide better support? A triangular shape between the 3 mount points. Sorry for readers the mech-eng geek out on support points. but really interested in the concept and the crowd-funding aspect of this design process

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Minor point, but a question regarding your depressions for the locking posts on the upper cooler. Currently you have 2 pucks in-line with each other. Would a third indent/mount point for the upper cooler provide better support? A triangular shape between the 3 mount points. Sorry for readers the mech-eng geek out on support points. but really interested in the concept and the crowd-funding aspect of this design process
Loren, thanks for the input. I actually did start out with four pucks initially.

There were several considerations that went into the location and number of pucks. Use cases both in the frunk and in the truck bed under the bed cover, on a boat or in an RV etc. and eventually I determined that there was no single configuration that worked for every possible use scenario.

In the case of the frunk there will be people that place the cooler on top of the 12 gallon tank and also those that don't have the tank and place it on the cargo shelf. Because of where the cargo shelf hinges / folds, two pucks was the most practical.

A single puck will prevent the cooler from sliding in any direction along the X and Y axis, and two will prevent rotation, so I am not sure if there is any added benefit to having a third. I also tried to "work through" how people would physically put the cooler into the frunk and it felt like there would always be a bit of "heft it in there" and then slide it into position--something that would be easier to do if the two pucks were in a row closer to the front edge of the frunk.

Lastly, the cooler itself has six puck locations so it can be adapted to pretty much any location--as mentioned, in the truck or a boat or RV. So if you want to use more than two for shelf mounting, you can. But two is enough. Especially as widely spaced as they are relative to the cooler width.

I should also mention that the pucks are designed ONLY to locate the cooler and prevent it sliding around and blocking either the front or rear air intake/outlets. NOT to physically lock it down. In the event of a front impact locking the cooler into the trucks structure--one that is designed to collapse and absorb energy--could potentially strengthen or stiffen both that crumple zone and the cooler. Something we obviously don't want. That is also why the 3mm aluminum front/bottom/rear panel is made in three parts and not one.

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) cool-box-01

Last edited:

lorenv

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mazda 3 mini electric
Occupation
engineer
Sounds good. I would think 4 puck indentations would allow flexibility for future designed modules (half height or half width) to lock into.

Overlanding Bar " B [=0===0=] ZE"
Gun Safe " SH [=0===0=] T
Grocery Bins " F [=0===0=] D

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Sounds good. I would think 4 puck indentations would allow flexibility for future designed modules (half height or half width) to lock into.

Overlanding Bar " B [=0===0=] ZE"
Gun Safe " SH [=0===0=] T
Grocery Bins " F [=0===0=] D
Yeah 4 indentations would be enough for good multi-use "modularity". I really only added the center left and center right as stiffeners...and for symmetry with the 60 Quart ice chest version =)

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) cool-60qt-11

Sponsored

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

I'd sign up but am not going to make yet another forum id. Is there a mailing list or something that I can put my name on?

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
I'd sign up but am not going to make yet another forum id. Is there a mailing list or something that I can put my name on?

There is an email link on each products page =)

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

There is an email link on each products page =)
yeah I found that after posting this, you have to go into the forum and click the appropriate thread. signed up for one, thanks.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
***UPDATE***

Thanks for all the support guys =)

We are coming up on 70 group members signed up for the 12 gallon frunk tank which is enough to get going on 3D printing a test article. I've ordered a large format FDM printer big enough to print the water tank in just four pieces.

Hopefully it will only take a few days to dial in the new printer. I will keep you guys updated on how it is progressing.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

***UPDATE***

Thanks for all the support guys =)

We are coming up on 70 group members signed up for the 12 gallon frunk tank which is enough to get going on 3D printing a test article. I've ordered a large format FDM printer big enough to print the water tank in just four pieces.

Hopefully it will only take a few days to dial in the new printer. I will keep you guys updated on how it is progressing.
How are the numbers looking for the fridge/freezer?
Sponsored