Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I did some searching on the forum and the R1T manual but couldn’t find anything about this.

The power controlled HVAC vents on the dash always struck me as overkill...

:idea:

Unless they’re tied to the driver profile. Does anyone know if this is the case? This is not mentioned in the profile setting part of the manual: just driver seat position, steering wheel, mirror, and media presets.

Being able to have the vents change to the position I like when I start the vehicle would make this a useful feature to me since our household is split between air towards face and air on either side of BUT NOT ON the face.

While I don’t expect this as a day 1 feature, it would be nice to have following an OTA update.
Sponsored

EdA

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Tesla Model S (formerly)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Best bet is to tweet RJ directly or something like that

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I did some searching on the forum and the R1T manual but couldn’t find anything about this.

The power controlled HVAC vents on the dash always struck me as overkill...

:idea:

Unless they’re tied to the driver profile. Does anyone know if this is the case? This is not mentioned in the profile setting part of the manual: just driver seat position, steering wheel, mirror, and media presets.

Being able to have the vents change to the position I like when I start the vehicle would make this a useful feature to me since our household is split between air towards face and air on either side of BUT NOT ON the face.

While I don’t expect this as a day 1 feature, it would be nice to have following an OTA update.
What sort of *animal* points them directly to their FACE?!?! ?

Rivian R1T R1S Power vents on dash possibility? 1635252953063

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I prefer the A/C pointed towards my crotch... But with ventilated seats I may be able to also keep my pits nice and fresh.
Wow this devolved quickly!
I hope they give them the ability to oscillate like my buddys old Mazda used to do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I hope they give them the ability to oscillate like my buddys old Mazda used to do.
We were talking about this during a road trip last week: it would be cool if you could set them to oscillate up and down, left and right, or both. We have a mini-split HVAC unit which gives those three choices in addition to just staying still. The only potential problem is the mechanism wearing out if the duty cycle doesn’t account for this much use. Maybe design the oscillation to be slow, like have it take 5 minutes for a cycle instead of as quickly as possible.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
We were talking about this during a road trip last week: it would be cool if you could set them to oscillate up and down, left and right, or both. We have a mini-split HVAC unit which gives those three choices in addition to just staying still. The only potential problem is the mechanism wearing out if the duty cycle doesn’t account for this much use. Maybe design the oscillation to be slow, like have it take 5 minutes for a cycle instead of as quickly as possible.
I mean Mazda had it figured out in like 1996 we could just call them. Can't be that hard Mazda could barely design a way for the same car to stop reliably, or turn at speed without understeer, or... well you get the point.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Cabin is small enough that oscillation (especially slow) isn't really needed. Oscillation helps smaller fans cover larger spaces.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I mean Mazda had it figured out in like 1996 we could just call them. Can't be that hard Mazda could barely design a way for the same car to stop reliably, or turn at speed without understeer, or... well you get the point.
They had it in like 1989. A friend of mine in high school had a 929, and it had oscillating vents.

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Cabin is small enough that oscillation (especially slow) isn't really needed. Oscillation helps smaller fans cover larger spaces.
To be fair, I think it's a little late to bring need into the discussion of a vehicle which tends to be more about want. We don't need multi-zone climate control when manual HVAC (or just heat and ventilation) would fulfill the technical needs of most drivers.

Some people want air on their faces. Some people want air on their torso. Some people may find it refreshing for the air to move around a bit, almost like a less-random artificial breeze, and want that.

If Rivian can address all of the other infotainment issues which will surely pop up in a new product and they are looking for another feature to add, I'd take that over a whoopee cushion feature. Most importantly, if they can do it without prematurely wearing out the adjust motors, I can't imagine the code to accomplish it would take a lot, and there seems to be enough screen real estate to accommodate more buttons.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If Rivian can address all of the other infotainment issues which will surely pop up in a new product and they are looking for another feature to add
Okay, sure... But that has to be at the bottom of a really long list, right?

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Okay, sure... But that has to be at the bottom of a really long list, right?
Absolutely! That’s why I wrote, with new emphasis added, “If Rivian can address all of the other infotainment issues…”
Sponsored