Sponsored

Power Tonneau still configured. Now what?

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Hmm from the recent Dec Jan thread seemed like those who had it in place were told be their guide to either change it to manual or remove it or put the reservation on hold until the redesign is available again. Maybe in the above instances it was luck of the draw that motor and wiring was left in place.
This is accurate. If they are building our trucks now we have to choose manual or none and neither will be able to be retrofit for powered. They aren’t shipping us broken tonneaus that can be retrofit. WHICH IS SO FUXKING ANNOYING
Sponsored

tsylviaNH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Epic EVO, Epic HT
Occupation
Residential Architecture
I might be the only person who wasn’’t given the option to de-configure the powered tonneau, only to have the truck show up without the slats but WITH the motor and hardware installed.

Was told to wait until Jan/Feb when a fix might be in place. Going to be an interesting winter.
Ours came the same way. Hardware is there but the slats are missing. Not surprising since we literally took delivery at the same time and SC (Nov 8/SF). There have already been moments where having the cover would’ve been useful, hopefully they develop a fix Soon. Gear tunnel is super useful though…that’s pretty much become my default storage space.

Last edited:

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
Yep same situation. Guide call at 0800 EST tomorrow, Monday Nov.14. This will be my 1st question about having the PTC still selected. Will post when I find out.
So after much consternation, I decide to hold off on delivery until there is a fix for the PTC. Guide had no idea when it may be put back into production. So let's just hope it is s00n!

BCal55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
So after they killed the Power Tonneau I never went in and changed my config to manual. I got my delivery window yesterday and it’s a lot sooner than I thought (Feb-March 2023). My Power Tonneau still shows in my config and because the email sent yesterday states that if you update your config your delivery window will change to “processing,” I’ve not changed it. So now what? No chance I get a R1T with a power tonneau in Feb/March. So do I change it now, let my window go to “processing,” and hope my window come back after the January refresh? Or should I just keep it power tonneau in my config and hope Rivian is smart enough to offer me a manual/no tonneau come Feb/March? Has anyone updated their config to manual/no tonneau since the delivery window update yesterday? And if so, what happened?
I just updated my config on 11/11 from the powered tonneau to the manual tonneau by contacting my guide and my estimated delivery window hasn't changed. I asked him if leaving the powered tonneau selected would delay my delivery and he said the only way I would get a vehicle in the near term is if an existing order with the same configuration fell through.

As much as I love the idea of a powered tonneau cover I've decided the manual is a better option. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time and I don't have high hopes that even the updated design will last reliably for 5-10 years without regular fixing. Even with the design suggestions that Munro and Associates suggested in their teardown I think it will be failure prone and based on other videos it's not something that is easily user serviceable for an owner to fix.

Realistically I'd leave the cover closed almost all of the time and when I need to use the bed I can either leave the covers at home or stash them in the gear tunnel.

Last edited:

BCal55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Well that happened a lot faster than I thought. I just got a guide and an email to confirm my configuration. However, the Power cover is still selected. I can’t even change it without my guide now. Anyone in the same boat? I setup a meeting with my guide for next week so I should know for sure soon.

Also, what is the typical time to delivery once you lock in your config?
Let us know what your guide says, I'm curious if they force you to switch the config.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I know they
I just updated my config on 11/11 from the powered tonneau to the manual tonneau by contacting my guide and my estimated delivery window hasn't changed.
Interesting. Did you "confirm" your configuration? Or did they just change it and you have not "confirmed" yet?

BCal55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I know they

Interesting. Did you "confirm" your configuration? Or did they just change it and you have not "confirmed" yet?
I was matched with a VIN ~5 weeks ago but I asked to add a spare tire which reset the clock and I've been waiting to match with another one since then. My account currently shows "Configuration Confirmed" with the changes and an estimated delivery date of Jan-Feb 2023.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Let us know what your guide says, I'm curious if they force you to switch the config.
I had them switch to manual. they didn't force me, but did say doing so would mean a faster delivery.

While powered is my preference, I feel good about going manual. Other than the cool factor, I can't really think of any real need for it. If the cost was >2K I wouldn't even consider it. While I know they removed reference to converting the manual to a table, I'm thinking that is still very possible even as a dyi solution. Plus the peace of mind knowing it will never stop working. The manual might be best for me.

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
Our 2-nd R1T came with closed disconnected cover 2 weeks ago.
Our 1-st R1T is just 5 weeks old but it starts to make weird noises upon closing despite the tracks were sprayed with the recommended spray.
The noise never fails to induce full cringe mode. 3 months and my cover is still going - I try to leave 1-2 slats out when opening so the pressure on the spring isn't maxed out.

The 'redesign' is the addition of a second motor from what my recall service tech told me. Bizarre they didn't do this from day one.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

The noise never fails to induce full cringe mode. 3 months and my cover is still going - I try to leave 1-2 slats out when opening so the pressure on the spring isn't maxed out.

The 'redesign' is the addition of a second motor from what my recall service tech told me. Bizarre they didn't do this from day one.
I wish we had consistent info on what the redesign is going to be because I have heard from my Guide that a second motor is NOT the redesign.

This also follows from the Munro video - Sandy was in favor of a second motor, but his other associates were not - for the reason that it would require a change in packaging space which is already extremely tight. A second motor would involve potentially changing the Gear Tunnel and that is a non-starter. It also requires synchronization across both motors (and it has to be perfect each time) or the cover would keep jamming again.

Others here have cited a rolling cover design, like the Cybertruck, but the problem with that is that the roller design doesn't provide the same packaging efficiency as the slats which stack on top of each other. There isn't enough space to accommodate that without redesigning the Gear Tunnel.

Realistically - there isn't going to be a second motor. I think they are going to make the existing setup more robust with fewer (but not zero) failures.

Sponsored

Impatient

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX350
Actually I think it kind of does make sense for now. when They announced they probably had 100s of built or in progress R1Ts with Powered, and decided it was better to install a 10 cent dummy button and disable the future warranty liability. I imagine that’s temporary.
If there is a dummy one, how do you open the cover? manually push or pull?

canikony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Tesla Model Y Performance
So after much consternation, I decide to hold off on delivery until there is a fix for the PTC. Guide had no idea when it may be put back into production. So let's just hope it is s00n!
Same here. Just texted my guide that I will wait. She sounded fairly confident that it is supposed to arrive the first half of 2023, but we all know how that goes. I'm in no rush to get the truck and would rather get a later build with more revisions/fixes for some of the common issues anyway.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
Well even though I told my guide I was going to wait for PTC I went into my config this morning and it has been changed to a manual cover and my status shows ready for next steps. Trying to contact guide to find out what has happened.