Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328i xDrive Sport Wagon
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Has anyone heard rumors on if the R1S will include a power rear window? This is one of the elements of the Toyota 4Runner than I love, and would like to see it on the R1S. Given what I saw with the lower rear window wiper, I don't think that is the case now, but would like to see them pivot and include this as an option.
Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I don't think so. Looking at promotion photos and videos it appears the rear window is attached to the top gate and not the drop bottom tailgate. Also I don't think either piece of the rear door have enough room to store the whole window.

However, I do love the split gate. The explorers used to have it in the early 2000s and I liked opening up the top of the rear gate, but still having the bottom closed so stuff didn't tumble out. This is even better since you can drop the tailgate to sit on or drop it 180 so you can reach in easier.

OP
OP

mpbaker2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

I don't think so. Looking at promotion photos and videos it appears the rear window is attached to the top gate and not the drop bottom tailgate. Also I don't think either piece of the rear door have enough room to store the whole window.

However, I do love the split gate. The explorers used to have it in the early 2000s and I liked opening up the top of the rear gate, but still having the bottom closed so stuff didn't tumble out. This is even better since you can drop the tailgate to sit on or drop it 180 so you can reach in easier.
Split gate would be a great option as well. The reason I am a big fan of the power rear window is for my dog who loves to have her head out of the car while driving when heading to the lake or farm, but we now have 2 little kids so need to keep her out of the back seat away from them. Having the top half of the split gate all of the way open isn't as effective. I tried that on my sports wagon and usually ends up shutting itself.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Has anyone heard rumors on if the R1S will include a power rear window? This is one of the elements of the Toyota 4Runner than I love, and would like to see it on the R1S. Given what I saw with the lower rear window wiper, I don't think that is the case now, but would like to see them pivot and include this as an option.
I highly doubt it will be an option, but I haven't heard any confirmation if it'll have it or not. Having that power rear window would be great though!

OP
OP

mpbaker2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Confirmed with a support team member that the hatch on the R1S is "a full powered clamshell tailgate but I haven't seen any images or details to suggest the window opens just yet."

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Confirmed with a support team member that the hatch on the R1S is "a full powered clamshell tailgate but I haven't seen any images or details to suggest the window opens just yet."
I've been waiting for 3 months for an email confirmation about that [classic, we'll get back to you on that]... it was the first question I asked before I even preordered. Maybe once get my R1S, I'll find out for sure...

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

I have a 2001 land cruiser with the split gate and it is one of my favorite features on the vehicle. Nice in the rain or snow to get gear on and off. Many a diaper and tire tube changed on the tailgate. it is a pain to load with the tailgate down though, so 180 drop will be nice for loading. My wife drives a sequoia with the power rear window and that is my favorite feature on that vehicle. Given the choice I would take the tailgate, my dog would say otherwise. I would have preferred they got innovative and had the power window with a slide out tailgate that retracts into the vehicle, but at least they went with the split gate.
Sponsored