Sponsored

Power out, R1T to the rescue, but for how long?

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So we are having some heavy storms in LA. Power has been out for a few hours and the estimated time for it to come back on is 12 to 24 hours. I’m not even 2 weeks into ownership and my R1T is saving me. I’ve got an extension cord running into the house. The only house on the street with lights, working fridge, and high speed internet. The issue is I didn’t charge today and I’m sitting at about 45% charge. More than enough power technically, but I’m still a bit worried about going to bed and waking up to a dead truck. I know you can set a timer for the outlets, but what about a % charge minimum? I couldn’t find it in the menus. i know the lightning has it. I wouldn’t want to go below 20%.
Rivian R1T R1S Power out, R1T to the rescue, but for how long? 5F3BC906-BF83-4A6D-9C40-FEE4254F8152
Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I had the same issue in the last storm. Was pretty much maxing out the 1500w available and used only 7% in my 17-18 hour outage.

I purposely charged my truck up last night, just in case.

Last edited:

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
1-2kw/h is a reasonable consumption rate for a house. A powerwall is only 13.5 kWh after all

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The thing about connecting the truck to the entire house vs being forced to just run the most important things is the battery will last a lot longer in the latter situation. We'd get 3-4 days tops on a full Rivian battery running the whole house, but if all we are running is the heat and fridge, it's easily double/triple that amount of time. It just sucks to have to go reset the outlet timer once a day.

tsylviaNH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Epic EVO, Epic HT
Occupation
Residential Architecture
We just went through a similar experience up here in the Bay Area. We had no power for 52hrs, which was fun. We've never been without power for more than 4hrs in the previous 14yrs we've lived here, we're very much in an urban developed area and not on the fringe. Using the two 120v outlets in the truck I powered our fridge, tankless water heater (gas), furnace (gas), and some random small devices. At one point I unplugged the water heater to power a fan and my bike trainer (Wahoo KickR) so I could get in a workout. I mostly unplugged the w/h because I didn't want to daisy chain even more extension cords. Started with 64% battery, ended with 50% after 52hrs. No idea how close I was to maxing out the available power from the truck; the furnace and water heater are minor electrical loads seeing as they're gas. The fridge might not have needed much power since it was already cold? Either way it made a huge difference having hot water and heat. Not sure how much temperatures matter but it was uncommonly cold here with lows in the 30s with highs in the upper 40s. It would've been nice to able to reset the 24hr outlet timer via the app vs having to remember to go out to the truck to reset the clock. Obviously compass yellow R1T's offer more electrical power than all other colors so you should be good for several days ;).

Rivian R1T R1S Power out, R1T to the rescue, but for how long? IMG_3547

Rivian R1T R1S Power out, R1T to the rescue, but for how long? IMG_3546

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Has anyone looked at Rivian's 120V inverter output waveform on a scope? Not all inverters are created equally and some modern equipment (boiler ECM circulator pumps, etc..) have issues with badly formed "sine" waves.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Lost about 4% battery last 12 hours. mostly some lamps, fridge, WiFi, and Expresso machine. I’ve not looked at how to power my gas heater yet. Was a cold night for sure. If it’s not back up after lunch I’ll look at options to get the heater going. In the meantime I have our gas fireplace going. This is likely the longest I’ve gone without power so crazy timing with getting the R1T ~10 days ago.

tsylviaNH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Epic EVO, Epic HT
Occupation
Residential Architecture
Lost about 4% battery last 12 hours. mostly some lamps, fridge, WiFi, and Expresso machine. I’ve not looked at how to power my gas heater yet. Was a cold night for sure. If it’s not back up after lunch I’ll look at options to get the heater going. In the meantime I have our gas fireplace going. This is likely the longest I’ve gone without power so crazy timing with getting the R1T ~10 days ago.
Seems about in line with what we experience, 7-8% a day. We didn’t power any lamps which probably helped. Mind the one issue of powering your house with the truck is…you can’t real use the truck to drive anywhere. My wife had our other vehicle so I ended up walking to work both days, luckily it’s only 4miles round trip. I suppose I could have powered up our Wi-Fi and worked from home, but the office had power and I don’t mind the walk.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Sponsored

R1Tmcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

How did you go about running the cables to all of these? Do you have an extension cord from the truck to a central power strip that daisy chains more extension cords from there?

Trying to picture the best way to prepare for these situations myself and what I'd need to have on hand.

Stay warm over there!

tsylviaNH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Epic EVO, Epic HT
Occupation
Residential Architecture
This is basically what I did. The truck has 2 outlets in the bed. I ran one extension cord direct to the fridge since I figured this was the biggest load. The other was a power strip where I daisy chained 2 separate cords to the w/h, furnace, and one additional for small device charging. Not saying this is the best way, but it seemed to work.

How did you go about running the cables to all of these? Do you have an extension cord from the truck to a central power strip that daisy chains more extension cords from there?

Trying to picture the best way to prepare for these situations myself and what I'd need to have on hand.

Stay warm over there!

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Stay warm over there!
I have something similar to this, but a different brand/model. Ran it through the garage and into the house, then branched from there. That said, I was not prepared and already have some ideas to streamline.

1. Get a couple more of these type of extension cord reels for a couple of rooms. (rather than the lower gauge extension cords i was using)
2. Install a non-grid powered outlet in the house that can be powered by the truck, so I don't have to crack the door to the garage open all night
3. Get a new watt meter so I understand exactly what each appliance is pulling and adjust accordingly

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
it did not escape my notice that Ops and yours are both Compass Yellow that saved the day--Go Team CY.
Sponsored