Sponsored

Power out, R1T to the rescue, but for how long?

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was able to climb into my attic and get my heater going by running an extension cord. The gas heater was pulling about 750 watts, so about half what the truck had to give. I did see volts drop to 100, but everything (wifi, fridge) stayed on. I was about to head to home depot to upgrade to higher gauge extension cords, but 10 minutes later the power was back on. haha. Oh well at least I now know how to get everything up and running and can get prepared for next time. All in I lost 5% of my battery over ~12 hours. If I have the heater running, I'm sure that will at least double. I'm charging up now, but to 85% just in case...

That said, 99.9% of days I wouldn't even consider bothering with the heater here in LA. But going to suck when the power goes out in the summer (which is usually when the power goes out here) as I certainly wont have enough power to run the AC. Perhaps I'll find a very low powered portable AC and just gather the family in 1 small room. I had the power go out for several hours a couple years ago when it was > 110 degrees. That was way worse than last night at ~35 degrees with no heater.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
We just went through a similar experience up here in the Bay Area. We had no power for 52hrs, which was fun. We've never been without power for more than 4hrs in the previous 14yrs we've lived here, we're very much in an urban developed area and not on the fringe. Using the two 120v outlets in the truck I powered our fridge, tankless water heater (gas), furnace (gas), and some random small devices. At one point I unplugged the water heater to power a fan and my bike trainer (Wahoo KickR) so I could get in a workout. I mostly unplugged the w/h because I didn't want to daisy chain even more extension cords. Started with 64% battery, ended with 50% after 52hrs. No idea how close I was to maxing out the available power from the truck; the furnace and water heater are minor electrical loads seeing as they're gas. The fridge might not have needed much power since it was already cold? Either way it made a huge difference having hot water and heat. Not sure how much temperatures matter but it was uncommonly cold here with lows in the 30s with highs in the upper 40s. It would've been nice to able to reset the 24hr outlet timer via the app vs having to remember to go out to the truck to reset the clock. Obviously compass yellow R1T's offer more electrical power than all other colors so you should be good for several days ;).

IMG_3547.jpeg

IMG_3546.jpeg
That SUN bright Rivian yellow is like solar power hence more electrical power!
Sponsored