Potential Truly Game Changing Tech - Nano Diamond Self Charging Batteries

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
My guess is they're not "discoverers" but they took something that's been around and developed it into a product that works, has been approved and is affordable. Makes it easy to add charging since almost everyone has a dryer socket/circuit.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Not following you here. The DryerBuddy has been around, works and is less expensive. So what have these fellows, cast as innovaters, contributed to the state of the art? Nothing that I can see except competition which is good, of course. I don't see how these "developers" are able to offer this product unless the patent(s) on the DryerBuddy have expired.

Two things that prospective Rivian buyers might want to know is that the DryerBuddy can be equipped with a watt hour meter. As a BEV owner you are going to be frequently asked "How much does it cost to charge it?" The watt hour meter keeps track of the power going to the car so you can answer that question.

Second is that the vehicle will most likely have functionality that lets you decide when you want the vehicle to start and end charging. This lets you take advantage of lower off hour rates if your utility offers them. In cold wheter it is a good idea to end charging just before you leave as charging warms the battery.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I hadn't heard of DryerBuddy or NeoCharge before today and yesterday. Good, there's more choice. For folks that might be installing chargers for their Rivians or other BEVs, either seems a viable option, especially since most homes have electric dryers and they're often located in or near garages. There's a U.S. tax credit of up to $1000 for installing a home charger before the end of this fiscal year. I guess my question is now, are there any disadvantages to sharing circuits with a dryer, aside from the fact you can't charge a BEV while using the dryer. (The NeoCharge people also sell a two vehicle charger with a timer, so you switch charging between vehicles.)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I guess my question is now, are there any disadvantages to sharing circuits with a dryer, aside from the fact you can't charge a BEV while using the dryer.
The obvious one is that it violates NEC which requires that EVSE be the only load on the circuit it is attached to.

I suppose the other one is that most dryers are on a 30A circuit so that you will get half the charging speed you would get with a dedicated 60A circuit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The NeoCharge units are UL/cUL listed, but as far as I can tell, Dryer Buddy is not.

The obvious one is that it violates NEC which requires that EVSE be the only load on the circuit it is attached to.
Rivian R1T R1S Potential Truly Game Changing Tech - Nano Diamond Self Charging Batteries 1599069704909

Rivian R1T R1S Potential Truly Game Changing Tech - Nano Diamond Self Charging Batteries 1599070035219

The NEV specifies that a circuit installed for an EVSE be dedicated, but makes provisions for using existing circuits that may have other loads as well.

The NeoCharge units appear to qualify as an automatic load management system, as do some models of the Dryer Buddy

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The intent of 625.40 is clear. If you use one of these devices you plainly remove the protection that 625.40 is designed to provide. If the outlet is installed (for the dryer) then there is no question of any inspector (except perhaps an insurance company inspector) ever looking at it and as an outlet installed for a clothes dryer, pre or post NEC2020, was not installed for the purpose of charging electric vehicles then you would have an argument in the case of denial of an insurance claim. The decision to adhere to 625.40's intent or work around it is up to the guy buying the system.

625.42 does not say that if you have an automatic load management system the requirement of .40 goes away. What it does say is that the installed EVSE must be rated as continuous and compatible with the load shedding gear. For example, a Tesla HPWC installed behind a Symphony 50A load shedding module would have to be set as if behind a 50 A breaker because the maximum it can draw is 40A when so set.

These devices are indeed load management devices. If the car's load exceeds what ever you set into the device as the current limit then the car's load is switched off. This is perhaps not the usual sense in which the term is used but technically it is load management but it does not have anything to do with .40.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
.41 states that other loads may supplied from the same feeder (and the formula to calculate circuit rating in that circumstance), which is in conflict with if you interpret .40 it as meaning any circuit used to charge an EV. If you you take .40 to mean actually installed for the purpose of charging an EV, then existing circuits can have other outlets and loads. If this was not the case, portable 120V EVSE could not be used on existing circuits (unless you for some reason had one with just a single outlet and no lights or anything else hardwired)

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Some interesting follow up to the original NDB article:

https://newatlas.com/energy/arkenlight-nuclear-diamond-batteries/

Includes discussion along the same lines we've had here regarding the scalability of the technology and predicted timelines of at least 20-50 years to potentially scale up to cell phone or BEV applications. What I found the most interesting though was the discussion of existing patents and the fact that they are not held by NDB. It will be interesting to see what NDB has to offer that is outside the scope of the existing patents.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Some interesting follow up to the original NDB article:

https://newatlas.com/energy/arkenlight-nuclear-diamond-batteries/

Includes discussion along the same lines we've had here regarding the scalability of the technology and predicted timelines of at least 20-50 years to potentially scale up to cell phone or BEV applications. What I found the most interesting though was the discussion of existing patents and the fact that they are not held by NDB. It will be interesting to see what NDB has to offer that is outside the scope of the existing patents.
Definitely brings the bold claims back down to reality a bit, thanks for sharing!
Sponsored