Sponsored

Post from COO of Snow Peak (Rivian Camp Kitchen)

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
This was news to me from the article:

"For a limited time, Rivian customers preordering an R1T with a Camp Kitchen will receive the Snow Peak Kitchen Set included in the purchase price. To learn more about the Snow Peak Kitchen Set, visit the Rivian configurator."

I might be misremembering but I thought they had just decided to eat the cost. Didn't know it was just a temporary promotion...

I've viewed the camp kitchen as a pretty neat (but super expensive) nice-to-have that I might consider buying down the road. The "free" kitchen set (along with any additional warranty coverage) could be a compelling reason to get it at time of purchase.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

"For a limited time, Rivian customers preordering an R1T with a Camp Kitchen will receive the Snow Peak Kitchen Set included in the purchase price. To learn more about the Snow Peak Kitchen Set, visit the Rivian configurator."

I might be misremembering but I thought they had just decided to eat the cost. Didn't know it was just a temporary promotion...

I've viewed the camp kitchen as a pretty neat (but super expensive) nice-to-have that I might consider buying down the road. The "free" kitchen set (along with any additional warranty coverage) could be a compelling reason to get it at time of purchase.
If you add up the price of the snow peak items, the dometic stove, the gear shuttle option, etc. it becomes compelling in a hurry. We’ve ticked the box.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
We’ve ticked the box.
Same... combined with a roof/bed top tent for us and it frees up a bunch of "crap" I otherwise need to store, pack, and repack after we are done camping.

Plus... it has a sink (not just a water basin).

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Caveat here - there's no drain, so it is basically just a collapsible water basin with a faucet and tank conveniently located alongside. You'll have to remove it to dump it out. Not sure if that's what you meant by "sink" but just wanted to clarify.

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

Yes, Rivian has had that language in the Kitchen description for some time. I thought the price was crazy at first and showed it to my wife who is the penny pincher. We have camped for years...when she saw the kitchen she thought it was brilliant and started making a verbal list of when we would use it...when we are traveling between camping grounds, breakfast & dinner each day, etc. We are always outside cooking. Again, this is why I really need a test drive and hands-on with an R1T.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same... combined with a roof/bed top tent for us and it frees up a bunch of "crap" I otherwise need to store, pack, and repack after we are done camping.

we’re very much looking forward to not worrying about if something is in the camping kitchen Box, or forgetting fuel for the stove.
it should come in handy for general roadtrip use as well. I’ve setup a camp stove on a rest stop picnic table or 3. ?

Caveat here - there's no drain, so it is basically just a collapsible water basin with a faucet and tank conveniently located alongside. You'll have to remove it to dump it out. Not sure if that's what you meant by "sink" but just wanted to clarify.
Of note you can get collapsible “sinks” of the same size with a drain in them.
it’s easier to just dump it out in the bushes etc though than deal with capturing grey water

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Of note you can get collapsible “sinks” of the same size with a drain in them.
it’s easier to just dump it out in the bushes etc though than deal with capturing grey water
Agreed. Not worried about the drain, actually prefer not having to deal with capturing the grey waste water.

The big seller for me with the sink is the pressurized and controlled waterflow.

...and yeah, not having to make sure everything is cleaned, fueled/restocked, packed... and then wrestling it into the car. This strikes me as easy to clean and store when not in use, and easy to load up when we head out for a trip.

(AKA. I'm fine being a bit lazy if it saves me hassle)

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If you add up the price of the snow peak items, the dometic stove, the gear shuttle option, etc. it becomes compelling in a hurry. We’ve ticked the box.
To my surprise, the adventure accessories are all kinda reasonably priced. I always assume accessories are where all the money's made, but I wonder if Rivian wants to get lots of accessories out in the wild to help build the adventure brand. We already know the kitchen pricing is temporarily discounted (since it includes the snow peak set), but I wonder if other accessories will increase in price later too.

Or maybe they just want to focus on membership as their key revenue source and aren't trying to maximize profit on one-off hardware.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To my surprise, the adventure accessories are all kinda reasonably priced. I always assume accessories are where all the money's made, but I wonder if Rivian wants to get lots of accessories out in the wild to help build the adventure brand. We already know the kitchen pricing is temporarily discounted (since it includes the snow peak set), but I wonder if other accessories will increase in price later too.

Or maybe they just want to focus on membership as their key revenue source and aren't trying to maximize profit on one-off hardware.
make no mistake, there’s certainly still lots of margin in the accessories at their prices, which are indeed reasonable. Has me looking at crossbars even though I probably won‘t put a bike rack etc on. ?

It‘s also fairly typical for things to cost less when ordered with a vehicle than if purchased after the fact from the parts counter.

Sponsored

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

dont know if anyone else will agree with me, but i think they should offer the kitchen as modular purchase where you can purchase it complete or just the module or modules you want. maybe design different pieces for different uses. I for one would be more interested in the cooktop part alone. would be cool if maybe they would make some blank modules too, where its just the blank cabinet where you can make it into whatever you need it for.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dont know if anyone else will agree with me, but i think they should offer the kitchen as modular purchase where you can purchase it complete or just the module or modules you want. maybe design different pieces for different uses. I for one would be more interested in the cooktop part alone. would be cool if maybe they would make some blank modules too, where its just the blank cabinet where you can make it into whatever you need it for.
probably, like most vehicles, you can buy whatever you want after the fact. Won’t be cheap.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
probably, like most vehicles, you can buy whatever you want after the fact. Won’t be cheap.
And warranty is only two years for accessories purchased after delivery of the vehicle I believe.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
This will probably start as they are ramped up, but keeping the options limited as you start out makes things easier for manufacturing, I'd bet future release years will be more options as we go along. Starting out though you want to keep things limited.

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
I've actually been taking accessories off of my LE preorder. It looks like the tax credit is only good for vehicles $74k and lower. Over 74k, no tax credit. Bummer . . Looks like I'm losing the skid pads and tow hooks and I'll get a spare wheel/tire later as well.
Sponsored