Sponsored

Possibly first R1S delivered (probably to an employee)

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
As Rivian only has two consumer vehicles being released in the immediate future, I think it makes a lot more sense for them to spread out the positive publicity over time rather than to shoot their wad at the get-go; particularly since the R1S does not have any direct competition on the horizon (unlike the R1T).
That's correct. And the holidays are a busy time with distracted eyes and ears. I also don't expect the R1S to get quite as much media/review coverage, because it's 90% the R1T so there isn't much to review. If it's now finalized, I'd expect them to want to restart the media wave come January or February.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I've been wondering if they will drop a bunch of R1S news today to boost the narrative around the financials... I'd love to know more about what is coming to my driveway in March!

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Not that it means much, but I drove by the Irvine Headquarters the other day and they had an R1S this color loaded in a truck. I was hoping they were going to back it out, but apparently, they had just loaded it up.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I've been wondering if they will drop a bunch of R1S news today to boost the narrative around the financials... I'd love to know more about what is coming to my driveway in March!
Don't need to release R1S info for pre-call hype. They're going to have the Georgia factory announcement at 4pm EST today. That's much bigger than, "Hey, look at some details on the vehicle everyone knew was coming."

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Although I do have to wonder. I know there's a current media frenzy around the R1T. But it's quiet on the R1S front. Are they just that uncertain about the R1S ramp rate, and don't want to get people's hopes up? Don't want to cannibalize the spotlight from older brother?

If I were Rivian, I'd be shoving these down the throats of media outlets to get even more brand recognition and accolades. Carpe diem, and all that.
Don't want to cannibalize the spotlight from older brother?

There is always strategy around how / when you release information. They knew that MT was going to do Truck of the Year and they probably had a heads up on the Edmunds ratings coming out. You aren't going to try and compete with that news by putting out more information on the R1S.

They'll wait until that news settles (3rd party articles, reaction posts, etc). The next news cycle will start today with the earnings announcement. They could very well use R1S news as a "bright spot" if they feel like production numbers aren't good or preorders haven't accelerated.

If preorders are up then they might use this as the bright spot, and save R1S news for next week to keep the "rolling thunder" going. They certainly aren't shipping R1S's right now and not telling anyone about it, that's a wasted opportunity.

(By way of background: I've managed PR and product launches for multiple software products that pretty much anyone who's ever used a computer uses. So, that's where my hypothesis on their communications "strategy" comes from)

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
On the call today, RJ mentioned that the first two R1S went to him and Claire (is that his wife?). So not sure what this is.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

My guess is this isn't real. With how they promoted the R1T and won all these awards, my guess is they would wait until the new year to release any R1S, so that it would be in the running for awards next round and make all sorts of headlines.

Seeing one in the public is one thing, knowing it is a production vehicle is another.
they said they would deliver ~15 R1Ss before end of 2021 so it could def. be real.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

On the call today, RJ mentioned that the first two R1S went to him and Claire (is that his wife?). So not sure what this is.
Just for fun speculation, I would imagine the LA Silver one is for Claire since I remembering hearing on one of the Rivian Stories videos mentioning RJ thought Forest Green looked the best on R1S. Since most of the promotional material for R1S also uses Forest Green, I'm supposing that the first Forest Green R1S goes to RJ.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
My neighbor told me a few days ago that they (he works at the Irvine facility)were getting six grey (probably meant silver) unwrapped completed R1S for final testing. They would go from department to department and be taken home by various employees. He has brought home a few different camouflaged zebra wrapped R1S models, but was excited to finally drive one of the completed ones. Just my guess, but that silver one could be one of those. He did mention that they weren't at the leave parked in public stage yet, so he couldn't just drive it anywhere.
Sponsored

Last edited: