Possible Skid Guard sighting in Rivian Video

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I just watched the Long Weekend video and noticed something missing vs the model showed in the previously posted Patagonia the LA video. I grabbed a screenshot below to highlight the feature, and you can see what I'm talking about throughout the Patagonia to LA video from a few different angles.

At first it reminded me of deployable running boards, but the more I look at it I think it may be the underbody skid plate. What do you think? I haven't seen it on any other vehicles, but maybe I'll now have to go back and look.

Rivian R1T R1S Possible Skid Guard sighting in Rivian Video 1614113794277
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This came up back when the Patagonia to Now video first came out. While we don't know anything 100%, I am fairly certain this will be an extra cost accessory. If it were part of the Adventure package "reinforced underbody shield" I would have expected it to show up in the configurator just like the front bumper tow hooks which appear/disappear when switching between Adventure/Expore packages.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This came up back when the Patagonia to Now video first came out. While we don't know anything 100%, I am fairly certain this will be an extra cost accessory. If it were part of the Adventure package "reinforced underbody shield" I would have expected it to show up in the configurator just like the front bumper tow hooks which appear/disappear when switching between Adventure/Expore packages.
Lots of manufacturer's have incomplete visuals in their configurators.

Barring evidence to the contrary, I'd assume that's the skid plate that's part of the Adventure package.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Lots of manufacturer's have incomplete visuals in their configurators.

Barring evidence to the contrary, I'd assume that's the skid plate that's part of the Adventure package.
Prepare to be disappointed. :)

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Given that the truck in the Long Weekend video had the front tow hooks, it clearly had the Off-Road Upgrade and therefore the "reinforced underbody shield". This would be additional evidence that the rock rails/sliders, running boards or whatever they end up being are an accessory item.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Given that the truck in the Long Weekend video had the front tow hooks, it clearly had the Off-Road Upgrade and therefore the "reinforced underbody shield". This would be additional evidence that the rock rails/sliders, running boards or whatever they end up being are an accessory item.
Maybe. You could be right.

Consider, however, that Rivian has "removed" a lot of features, and they have probably made several permutations of R1Ts with configurations that will not exactly match what goes to production.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I emailed Rivian about this, here is what I finally got back:

While I was not able to get any information on your photo, I can share that we’re developing and testing a variety of accessories that my eventually become Rivian Adventure Products. We’re excited to be developing accessories for the activities that matter to our preorder community and we’ll be sharing more closer to the start of production!
Read into that what you will.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
"we'll be sharing more closer to the start of production!"

They really need to delete that from all responses at this point, it's worn out and useless. We're now a few short months from production...how much closer can we get before they start to share details. F.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
GM is right up front about what they are offering:

Rivian R1T R1S Possible Skid Guard sighting in Rivian Video 1614279048049

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
They really need to delete that from all responses at this point, it's worn out and useless. We're now a few short months from production...how much closer can we get before they start to share details. F.
It's getting really old.

If you go back to some of the older footage/events, they stated that production would begin in October in order to meet the December delivery deadline.

If you extrapolate that out to the now June timeline, production should begin in April. That's one month and a few days from now.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
It feels like they are so cautious about not being Tesla in terms of initial launch promises that they aren’t revealing nearly enough details on accessories and features for a ravenous preorder crowd and even for regular folks who are becoming curious as news and preorder holders increasingly shine the light on a vehicle that should have an easy time marketing itself. (Dang. Sorry long sentence. We English teachers are the worst.)

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

"we'll be sharing more closer to the start of production!"
They really need to delete that from all responses at this point, it's worn out and useless.
Hypothetical: sometime in late June phone rings, "Hello, this is Rivian vehicle sales calling to finalize your adventure vehicle purchase. I show yours schedule for production completion in 3 days ready for delivery or pickup this Friday. Furthermore, I'm happy to finally tell you that our '300-mi. battery' achieved nearly two hundred miles in official EPA testing - but it did score just shy of 300 miles in the Alpine downhill simulation. We're somewhat pleased to say IIHS scored a 3-Star crash rating making us as good as a Dodge Durango and better than the Journey! I note that your selected 'Launch Green' color - a great choice I might add. While I cannot show you the actual paint color I can tell you that it's much darker than pea soup - and reminds me of last time I ate at the streetside taco stand (if you catch my meaning) butt with metallic. Let's discuss your purchase options: you can wire cash, we accept the Chase 'Sapphire Reserve' card or the 'Centurion' from American Express; for a modest $1,000 fee I can provide you with the VIN now and you can try to get a loan, or if you're an Amazon Prime member you can apply for a new Prime-Rivian Rewards Visa with a $50,000 credit line at 3-day introductory rate of 0.9% (rising to 29.9% compounded hourly, and only if your credit score is above 798 and satisfy all other 'prestigiously well-qualified' criteria). You may test drive your vehicle after payment and if not completely satisfied sell it to somebody else. You can pick up your vehicle here with a complimentary factory tour for only a $5,000 extra-charge (travel, lodging and required Covid negative test not included). Or an Amazon driver can deliver it personally to your home with a minimum $5,000 purchase of vehicle accessories, like our Camp Kitchen or deployable side-steps that you can evaluate on your new vehicle after purchase. So how would you like to proceed..... "

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
My conclusion is that the LE features are locked in and it is what you see on the website. I suspect they are not going to have many additional options avialable until after the end of the year for non-LE versions. They are likely concerned about announcing future features and then see LE reservation holders cancel and push out their orders. So I think we will not see many updates on options until after LE deliveries start.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Hypothetical: sometime in late June phone rings, "Hello, this is Rivian vehicle sales calling to finalize your adventure vehicle purchase. I show yours schedule for production completion in 3 days ready for delivery or pickup this Friday. Furthermore, I'm happy to finally tell you that our '300-mi. battery' achieved nearly two hundred miles in official EPA testing - but it did score just shy of 300 miles in the Alpine downhill simulation. We're somewhat pleased to say IIHS scored a 3-Star crash rating making us as good as a Dodge Durango and better than the Journey! I note that your selected 'Launch Green' color - a great choice I might add. While I cannot show you the actual paint color I can tell you that it's much darker than pea soup - and reminds me of last time I ate at the streetside taco stand (if you catch my meaning) butt with metallic. Let's discuss your purchase options: you can wire cash, we accept the Chase 'Sapphire Reserve' card or the 'Centurion' from American Express; for a modest $1,000 fee I can provide you with the VIN now and you can try to get a loan, or if you're an Amazon Prime member you can apply for a new Prime-Rivian Rewards Visa with a $50,000 credit line at 3-day introductory rate of 0.9% (rising in 24 hrs to 29.9% compounded hourly, and only if your credit score is above 798 and you satisfy all other 'prestigiously well-qualified' criteria). You may test drive your vehicle after payment and if not completely satisfied sell it to somebody else. You can pick up your vehicle here with a complimentary factory tour for only a $5,000 extra-charge (travel, lodging and required Covid negative test not included). Or an Amazon driver can deliver it personally to you with a minimum $5,000 purchase of vehicle accessories, like our Camp Kitchen or deployed side-steps that you can evaluate on your new vehicle after purchase. So how would you like to proceed..... "

Rivian R1T R1S Possible Skid Guard sighting in Rivian Video source
Sponsored