Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Seems the alarm may not be functioning as desired but the locks probably are functioning as required by law.

" S4.3 Door Locks. Each door shall be equipped with at least one locking device which, when engaged, shall prevent operation of the exterior door handle or other exterior latch release control and which has an operating means and a lock release/engagement device located within the interior of the vehicle. "
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.206
Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Garage door opener works upon breaking into the car.

I was able to trigger a visual alarm by sitting on the floor, having wife lock doors from outside with fob, and waiting until the gear guard animation played on the screen.

Then I opened the door and the exterior lights started flashing, but no audio.

All options in center screen were available to me including unlock , which released the gear guard cable in the bed.

Gear guard does not have an alarm event recorded.

I also found some interesting items in the service menu.

This may indicate that the audible alarm is off.

ADFDEA21-C4F5-4DEF-8B41-EDC84C9A27F9.jpeg

316597E5-5307-4DD8-B2B4-ABECD6E569E0.jpeg
Ok, I was told it doesn't work. They need to fix this.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Is there a shock sensor if someone were to hit the window?

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
Tested mine and verified, no alarm. I think this is a huge security flaw. The fact that the Rivian has computer controlled switches for everything means this should be an easy fix. When the truck is locked, it should be on lockdown, including the center console. Nothing should work besides the safety releases inside the bed and frunk. The only thing the screen should do is show live video of the cameras and of course the truck should flash and honk like hell to draw attention if a door is opened while the truck is locked, even in pet mode. Glass break sensors are really cheap and reliable, but I don' know if the truck has one.

Update: Ticket submitted. Also taking my truck in for service later this month and will address it with them if Rivian hasn't contacted me about the issue. If you submit a ticket, please don't forget to mention the center console buttons should be disabled when the truck is broken into. I may leave some personal items in the there I do not want in the hands of a criminal. Thanks.

I hope if implemented in some fashion, this particular part is made optional. I'd rather leave nothing valuable in there and give them free access to check, then have them break it open to check. I would put my personal items in the gear tunnel which would hopefully remain locked in the setting of a break in.

Sponsored

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
Lots of good desired and expected behaviors here, so far.

Pardon me if I missed it but I haven't seen a recommendation to have at least an option for lock action to close all the windows or a windows down warning in app on lock. I think I'd like this for a lot of reasons including not accidentally leaving window(s) open in the rain overnight.

Every Audi I've had since 2000 has been able to do this. IIRC, this could be made the default behavior with single click of the fob lock button after some tweaks to the configs by dealer or via OBD-II and some software. By default, you could lock without rolling windows up and would only have windows go up on lock if you held key fob button. I know there's additional considerations with R1 including PAAK, auto locking, etc.

Other safeguards need to be in place, for sure, in case entry is gained to locked vehicle by any means including smashed window, hack, etc. Having some association between window state and locking might have prevented this low hanging fruit.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Umm....not happy to see this post. Man, Rivian has their hands full.
Not discounting the issue but regarding garage door access I thought I would share we've put our garage door openers on a wifi and timer controlled outlet so that there is no power to opener at night.

Garage door release also modified so it can't be hooked by a crook.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Not discounting the issue but regarding garage door access I thought I would share we've put our garage door openers on a wifi and timer controlled outlet so that there is no power to opener at night.

Garage door release also modified so it can't be hooked by a crook.
I've done the zip tie hack but the openers on a wifi timer is genius, i'm going to do that this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

For the people suggesting don't leave a window down. They don't know how you break into a car I have done this for years as part of my job you use an air bag between the door and a long bar to pull the door handle very easy as soon as that happens the vehicle alarm should be saying "WTF WTF HELP I'm being broke into!" instead it sounds like its turning on all the screens and saying ""Welcome what would you like to take today".

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

This was my concern with the garage door opener too. If someone smashes my windows then they have access to be able to get into my garage.
Literally why I have not programmed my doors yet!

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Just bumping this up for more exposure
Thanks for bring this to light in the 1st place! I just had a mobile SC visit to address a trim issue, but told the guys about forum findings and they seemed taken back a bit…one even owns a R1T…so we all ran several test break-in scenarios and none sounded an alarm (hint: there isn’t one) some flashing signal lights…but that’s it! And just as previously stated, the truck basically says what can I do for you! (Gives access to EVERYTHING!)

I asked them if they had heard rumblings of this issue…nope! Well, they have now! I told them about the forum discussions and the need to address this at the highest level…ASAP!

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thanks for bring this to light in the 1st place! I just had a mobile SC visit to address a trim issue, but told the guys about forum findings and they seemed taken back a bit…one even owns a R1T…so we all ran several test break-in scenarios and none sounded an alarm (hint: there isn’t one) some flashing signal lights…but that’s it! And just as previously stated, the truck basically says what can I do for you! (Gives access to EVERYTHING!)

I asked them if they had heard rumblings of this issue…nope! Well, they have now! I told them about the forum discussions and the need to address this at the highest level…ASAP!
Please keep the crew on the loop if updates come your way...
Sponsored