Sponsored

Possible Accessory Costs - How much will my R1T really be?

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Hopper, Not sure if you're pulling my leg or not, but from what we've been told, the spare will be included only if required by your state. If not required, it is an option you can elect.
Is the option free if it's included for some?
Sponsored

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Since RJ posted a Yakima/Rivian branded tent on his Twitter page, we can now guesstimate the tent is $1500+.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

What? It doesn’t come with a spare tire? Holy crap!
You obviously have never owned an EV. I have never seen an EV that came with a spare. Most don't even have places for them. Thankfully Rivian does but if you want it, you gotta cough up the cash.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Since RJ posted a Yakima/Rivian branded tent on his Twitter page, we can now guesstimate the tent is $1500+.
But the whole time before that it was a Tepui + Rivian tent...So how knows until they actually release that data...

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
But the whole time before that it was a Tepui + Rivian tent...So how knows until they actually release that data...
This is fairly definitive evidence that they are going with Yakima...

Rivian R1T R1S Possible Accessory Costs - How much will my R1T really be? 1616954641367

The Team Yellow folks should be happy

Given this, it is also likely that Yakima will be supplying the crossbars. Possible they went with a different vendor, but my money would be on Yakima.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
This is fairly definitive evidence that they are going with Yakima...

1616954641367.png

The Team Yellow folks should be happy

Given this, it is also likely that Yakima will be supplying the crossbars. Possible they went with a different vendor, but my money would be on Yakima.
And now we do the Balki Bartokomous dance of joy.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
You obviously have never owned an EV. I have never seen an EV that came with a spare. Most don't even have places for them. Thankfully Rivian does but if you want it, you gotta cough up the cash.
You are correct. I’ve never owned an EV.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Is the option free if it's included for some?
Luckily I now live in the People’s Republic of New York where spare tires are required to be included.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Maybe the 'deal' with Tepui fell thru or it is another option they will offer.
Hopefully the Yakima 'deal' includes something around their racks (bikes, snow boards, etc).

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Not installing an EVSE at home makes owning an EV more expensive (almost always) and certainly inconvenient.
fwiw I’ve had a Tesla for three years and never needed anything besides the mobile charger (installing an EVSE in my house would be prohibitively expensive).

A regular 110V outlet has no problem replenishing my 30-40 mile daily commute overnight, and I make up for any overages on weekends. When I need to do longer drives (skidays, road trips, etc) I can always supercharge or top off at a ChargePoint.

EVSEs are very nice, but depending on your daily driving, it may well not be necessary.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
fwiw I’ve had a Tesla for three years and never needed anything besides the mobile charger (installing an EVSE in my house would be prohibitively expensive).

A regular 110V outlet has no problem replenishing my 30-40 mile daily commute overnight, and I make up for any overages on weekends. When I need to do longer drives (skidays, road trips, etc) I can always supercharge or top off at a ChargePoint.

EVSEs are very nice, but depending on your daily driving, it may well not be necessary.
For some this will be the case. But remember that the Rivian will get significantly fewer miles on an overnight charge than your Model Y - maybe 20 to 25 miles overnight on 120V.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Tesla consumes fewer Watts per mile than an R1T/R1S will need. It's a safe estimate that the R1T/R1S will consume, on average, around 425-450W per mile. At these figures, the 135kWh pack would have a range of 300-317 miles and the 180kWh pack would have a range of 400-423 miles.

An EVSE (even at only Level 1) is considered a "continuous load" and therefore the circuit should only be loaded to 80% of its current rating. A standard residential 120V outlet is commonly on a 15A circuit breaker, so we must de-rate to 12A, which means it's only safe to pull 1,440W. According to the IEEE, Level 1 EVSEs average efficiency is 83.8%, which means you'd only put approximately 1,206.72Wh into the Rivian's battery packs, per hour, via Level 1 charging.

This means that you're only going to replenish approximately 2.68 - 2.84 miles of range per hour charging on a 120V circuit. It would take you a little over 14 hours to replenish a 40 mile daily commute.

If that works for you, then great. I doubt that is sustainable for most people, however.

To put that into perspective, if you installed the Rivian (or equivalent) L2 EVSE you'd replenish 40 miles of range in approximately 100-105 minutes.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I've never before seen an EV that was marketed to the "adventure" crowd, designed from the start to operate well off-road. Having the OEM outfit such a vehicle from the outset to be easily recovered during such target market offroad adventuring seems like table stakes.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Not sure it means Yakima couldn't make them for Rivian but Rivian definitely designed their crossbars in-house.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I've never before seen an EV that was marketed to the "adventure" crowd, designed from the start to operate well off-road. Having the OEM outfit such a vehicle from the outset to be easily recovered during such target market offroad adventuring seems like table stakes.
Sure, but what is the percentage of owners that will actually adventure? I am not talking about going to State Parks or trips to a KOA, but Overlanding or off-roading on OHV, BLM, or Forest Service land?
Sponsored