Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I took my Rivian to eastern OR over the MLK holiday weekend. Late week rain and questionable mountain conditions sent me east to enjoy colder weather and light fluffy snow in the Elkorn Mountains, Anthony Lakes area.

Departed the Portland area mid afternoon Friday. Starting SOC ~100%. 20" AT tires with a ski rack on the back.

First charging stop at the EA station in Hermiston. I used the 350kW station and it worked perfectly delivery >215kW
Second charging stop at the EA station in Island City (La Grande). Another flawless stop using a 350kW charger. I did a slightly deeper charge here due to unknown charging options in Baker City where we had a hotel.

We stayed at the Best Western Sunridge Inn in Baker City. I had seen reports on PlugShare of a Nema 14-50 outlet at the hotel and the hotel listed EV charging as an amenity. Upon arrival I noticed a string of Tesla chargers in the parking lot, I asked the front desk about the reports of an outlet, she didn't know but said if I found it I could use it. I did find it on the side of one of the buildings near the playground. I had to drive up on the curve to get it to reach due to an older RV parked in the closest spot (permanently?) but I checked again with the front desk and they said no problem. Regardless this was clutch as it was capable of 7kW and more than met my overnight charging needs to get to and from the mountain for our daily adventures.

The drive up the mountain was the next obstacle, the base area of Anthony lakes is above 7000ft in elevation. The roads up where quite icy in places which led to a little sliding around a few corners but never lost control at all so the tires were more than up to the task

On the way home on Monday repeated in reverse. Charging to around 90% at the hotel and driving up to the mountain for a beauty of blue bird day in the backcountry then back down to the charger in Island City before heading home. Using the same 350kW chargers in Island City and Hermiston. Only deviation on the way home was a quick 5 min stop I needed in the EA station in Troutdale, one station here appeared not to work but was able to switch and top up quickly to get home.

Other note is left my car HVAC on while riding each day (either using pet or camp mode) to keep my dog comfy in the truck.

Sorry no grand snowy truck pictures in this post but please do enjoy a couple of shots from the last day up in the Elkorns.
Rivian R1T R1S Portland to Eastern OR and the Elkorn Mountains in my R1T D13305B7-552F-49AF-85F9-7DB5D3A4E2FA

Rivian R1T R1S Portland to Eastern OR and the Elkorn Mountains in my R1T 4BB8B4B0-AAAF-4BBB-889B-B348374F42AE

Rivian R1T R1S Portland to Eastern OR and the Elkorn Mountains in my R1T AB1AD9A5-5CFC-4E69-9D7A-C7EB77592D96
Sponsored

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
Nice! That's how it's supposed to work! And presumably will improve over time. Hopefully the charging infrastructure improves at a faster rate than EVs sold.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Great post JJ! Driven thru the Blue Mountains many times and have seen the Anthony Lakes sign. Never knew that area was so beautiful.
Curious if you kept track of the SOC % drop using petmode for 3 hours and what the approx outside temp range was during that time.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Great post JJ! Driven thru the Blue Mountains many times and have seen the Anthony Lakes sign. Never knew that area was so beautiful.
Curious if you kept track of the SOC % drop using petmode for 3 hours and what the approx outside temp range was during that time.
Yeah I was surprised by a few things on this trip, very cool area. I'd like to go back in the summer to check out some of the forest roads around there.

I haven't really done any logging of energy use using pet/camp mode but having used it at least a dozen times sitting near 20F while I was riding, the energy loss has never been that significant.

BendR1S

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Subaru Outback
I took my Rivian to eastern OR over the MLK holiday weekend. Late week rain and questionable mountain conditions sent me east to enjoy colder weather and light fluffy snow in the Elkorn Mountains, Anthony Lakes area.

Departed the Portland area mid afternoon Friday. Starting SOC ~100%. 20" AT tires with a ski rack on the back.

First charging stop at the EA station in Hermiston. I used the 350kW station and it worked perfectly delivery >215kW
Second charging stop at the EA station in Island City (La Grande). Another flawless stop using a 350kW charger. I did a slightly deeper charge here due to unknown charging options in Baker City where we had a hotel.

We stayed at the Best Western Sunridge Inn in Baker City. I had seen reports on PlugShare of a Nema 14-50 outlet at the hotel and the hotel listed EV charging as an amenity. Upon arrival I noticed a string of Tesla chargers in the parking lot, I asked the front desk about the reports of an outlet, she didn't know but said if I found it I could use it. I did find it on the side of one of the buildings near the playground. I had to drive up on the curve to get it to reach due to an older RV parked in the closest spot (permanently?) but I checked again with the front desk and they said no problem. Regardless this was clutch as it was capable of 7kW and more than met my overnight charging needs to get to and from the mountain for our daily adventures.

The drive up the mountain was the next obstacle, the base area of Anthony lakes is above 7000ft in elevation. The roads up where quite icy in places which led to a little sliding around a few corners but never lost control at all so the tires were more than up to the task

On the way home on Monday repeated in reverse. Charging to around 90% at the hotel and driving up to the mountain for a beauty of blue bird day in the backcountry then back down to the charger in Island City before heading home. Using the same 350kW chargers in Island City and Hermiston. Only deviation on the way home was a quick 5 min stop I needed in the EA station in Troutdale, one station here appeared not to work but was able to switch and top up quickly to get home.

Other note is left my car HVAC on while riding each day (either using pet or camp mode) to keep my dog comfy in the truck.

Sorry no grand snowy truck pictures in this post but please do enjoy a couple of shots from the last day up in the Elkorns.
D13305B7-552F-49AF-85F9-7DB5D3A4E2FA.jpeg

4BB8B4B0-AAAF-4BBB-889B-B348374F42AE.jpeg

AB1AD9A5-5CFC-4E69-9D7A-C7EB77592D96.jpeg
This is awesome! I'm waiting for my Rivian (sigh, of course) in Bend, but would love some intel on the skiing! Seems like an awesome trip!!! Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I find it a bit silly that Tesla didn't install at least a few destination chargers at a HOTEL.

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
I find it a bit silly that Tesla didn't install at least a few destination chargers at a HOTEL.
Tesla doesn't install destination chargers. Typically locations will contact Tesla and they will usually offer the wall connectors (charger) at a discount; the location will pay to install them.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Tesla doesn't install destination chargers. Typically locations will contact Tesla and they will usually offer the wall connectors (charger) at a discount; the location will pay to install them.
That's typically the case.

But, there are some exceptions which are nice for times where you don't need or want a very quick charge.

One example is Vancouver Mall. Not sure what drove the decision to install them, but they're there.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...uver-wa-ne-vancouver-mall-drive.181269/page-4

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect

But, there are some exceptions which are nice for times where you don't need or want a very quick charge.
I'm not following. What does that have to do with my comment?

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
You claimed that Tesla doesn't install Destination chargers.

That claim for the most part is true.

But, there are exceptions where you'll see X number of destination chargers next to a Tesla Supercharger.

Those I found handy when I had my Tesla, and obviously they're really handy for a Rivian owner if one has an adapter.

Sponsored

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
You claimed that Tesla doesn't install Destination chargers.

That claim for the most part is true.
agreed.
But, there are exceptions where you'll see X number of destination chargers next to a Tesla Supercharger.

Those I found handy when I had my Tesla, and obviously they're really handy for a Rivian owner if one has an adapter.
What does this have to do with my comment?

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
agreed.

What does this have to do with my comment?
You claimed that Tesla doesn't install Destination Chargers.

Which for the most part is a valid claim, but it doesn't seem to be true for cases that involve a destination charger at a Tesla Supercharger location.

This location is a Supercharger location, and as a hotel it would be nice to have a few destination chargers for hotel guests.

I didn't see the "typically" you mention later in your comment as watering down at all the original statement that Tesla doesn't install destination chargers.

Last edited:

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
You claimed that Tesla doesn't install Destination Chargers.

Which for the most part is a valid claim, but it doesn't seem to be true for all cases.
Maybe you are having a conversation with someone else. I responded to:
Which you then went on to say:

Again. What does this have to do with my original comment?

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe you are having a conversation with someone else. I responded to:

Which you then went on to say:

Again. What does this have to do with my original comment?
You said "Tesla doesn't install destination chargers".

The person I'm having a conversation with is not necessary you, but my own perceptions and understanding of human nature. Where I felt that the entire reason you clicked Post Reply was that you felt like this was true to a highly significant degree.

Unless you have some special insider knowledge we're both observers.

If you had an observation of seeing Destination chargers in a row with Tesla Superchargers you probably would have responded differently to my post.

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
You said "Tesla doesn't install destination chargers".
I did.

The person I'm having a conversation with is not necessary you, but my own perceptions and understanding of human nature. Where I felt that the entire reason you clicked Post Reply was that you felt like this was true to a highly significant degree.

Unless you have some special insider knowledge we're both observers.
No.

If you had an observation of seeing Destination chargers in a row with Tesla Superchargers you probably would have responded differently to my post.
It is irrelevant to the conversation about your post:
Now you could have responded that you have seen Tesla install destination chargers with superchargers and that could have been the end of it.

Instead you responded:

To which I replied:
You responded, but because you go back and edit after I responded to try to add context after the fact you are having a conversation with someone other than I.
Sponsored