Sponsored

PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V??

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Yeah, there are a couple factors for me:
  • Very few fridge models will fit under the tonneau cover. This is a requirement for me (many campsites in grizzly-danger areas require all food to be locked inside a vehicle or bear canister, and an open bed is just begging for lots of dust ingress and potential theft in overland/road tripping).
  • The layout of the bed (particularly the spare tire cover) makes it look like a fridge slide would be pretty tricky. Without that it's going to be a pain to get into a fridge in the bed even assuming you sort out the height issue, especially if e.g. I have a tent on the bed rails.
  • The bed is pretty small - I'd rather be able to fully utilize it for other bulky options like mountain bikes, camping gear, dog crates, etc. without giving up the fridge.
That said, I'd settle for a great solution to either - it just seems like right now we have at best a mediocre solution with small fridges in the bed. Another inch would solve so many problems!
It is absolutely killing me to discover that the ARB Elements fridge is (drumroll) 0.1 inches too tall for the published bed-to-tonneau dimensions. That's close enough that I wonder if you could make it up by removing some feet or sanding some trim off the top of the fridge... or if it might even fall into a margin for error or within the flex tolerance of the tonneau.

Anyone have one of those that they might be able to try at a taste drive?
Sponsored

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Hit up Tom on cheaprvliving YouTube channel made famous by the film Nomadland. He recommends several affordable options. Go 12v it will use less energy since using 110V AC means use of Rivian onboard inverter which chews up more energy.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Go with a good cooler , or just fill the frunk w ice (don't forget the drain plug )

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Go with a good cooler , or just fill the frunk w ice (don't forget the drain plug )
Most “good coolers” are similarly tall.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Most “good coolers” are similarly tall.
so , you are saying no 'good' cooler' will fit in an R1T ? . A regular 'ol Coleman from walmart if keep out of direct sunlight will surpass the 'needs' of 99% of those living the adventure. bbbut wait , I need the capability , right ??

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
so , you are saying no 'good' cooler' will fit in an R1T ? . A regular 'ol Coleman from walmart if keep out of direct sunlight will surpass the 'needs' of 99% of those living the adventure. bbbut wait , I need the capability , right ??
Stop huffing all the nitrous, mr. Dentist.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

It doesn't look like there's a 12V outlet in the bed area (only in the frunk, cab and gear tunnel), so even if you wanted to put a fridge in the bed with the cover open, you have to re-route a 12V connection, or use a separate power source.
1633568192952.png
Definitely surprised Rivian didn't include more outlets in the frunk and bed. Ford I think has 4 110/120 outlets in both. 110 would be very useful in the frunk for a lot of people. Bed, being the largest space, should have at least a couple, plus a 12V outlet for things that might need to be charged while travelling. I guess you can by a 1 to 3 adapter to make one into 3 and could get a 110 to 12v adapter too, but that's kind of hokey.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Depending on how big of one you need, if you get the gear tunnel shuttle, I like the idea of finding a lower profile one that will fit in there and be accessible through the pass-thru opening in the back seat. When you need it at a camp site, slide it out. Otherwise, good for storing drinks that the kids can access for you while driving. Seems like there are many portable refrigerators that would fit in there and offer a lot of flexibility for use. Sealed from the elements and a good filler for the middle space of the tunnel. Just my 2 cents.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

There are several out there and as I have only used the one I am hardly qualified to offer a review. I can say that the ARB I have has been great both in the car and in the house (where we use it a supplemental fridge for soft drinks, beer etc.)
Holy schnikey - this is genius. Every holiday season we struggle to find enough fridge space for various dishes. Guess I'm ordering an ARB (or similar) soon (I'm getting an R1S so the size thing is not as much of a concern).

Sponsored

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

I have one currently in my current car (4Runner) that is very convenient. But, 19 inches tall. DOH. This is the only one that I have found that will fit under the tonneau cover, but not sure of the brand.
Rivian R1T R1S PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V?? 1648831475327

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I have one currently in my current car (4Runner) that is very convenient. But, 19 inches tall. DOH. This is the only one that I have found that will fit under the tonneau cover, but not sure of the brand.
1648831475327.png
This looks promising! Anyone have any experience with Bodega car refrigerators?
Sponsored