Sponsored

PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V??

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
I'm still waiting for an email back from CS with the floor dimensions but will share them when I do.

Rivian R1T R1S PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V?? 1633628424278
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I haven't seen an angle that shows the front side of the frunk, but if we go off the depth of the platform being 14.6" and the platform not being long enough to extend past that 14.6" when flipped up, the space there is skinnier than that. Even dometic's smallest powered coolers seem like they might be too large, except for the CFX3 25, which is tiny.
Don't forget the platform folds in half when it flips up ?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Don't forget the platform folds in half when it flips up ?
I didn't notice that, you're right. That's a little more promising then. Still have my doubts that the raise stuff below the platform is going to be large enough for my dometic

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Finally found some photos! Nabbed from the Jalopnik review. The area in the front is being taken up by the air flow path from the radiators.
Rivian R1T R1S PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V?? 1633630747197
Rivian R1T R1S PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V?? 1633630746498

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Finally found some photos! Nabbed from the Jalopnik review. The area in the front is being taken up by the air flow path from the radiators.
1633630747197.png
1633630746498.png
That's not terribly promising...

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's not terribly promising...
It sure isn't. If Rivian wasn't a brand new manufacturer, I'd probably be okay with trying to make modifications to the frunk area, but I really don't want to run afoul of potential warranty issues.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Yep, looks like a non starter for a deeper frunk.

At least I think REI will still let me return it... will keep my fingers crossed for a better option that fits in the bed or upper frunk space at some point. Unfortunately many campsites around here require all food storage to be locked in the vehicle due to aggressive bears, so anything taller than the tonneau cover is a non starter.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Yep, looks like a non starter for a deeper frunk.

At least I think REI will still let me return it... will keep my fingers crossed for a better option that fits in the bed or upper frunk space at some point. Unfortunately many campsites around here require all food storage to be locked in the vehicle due to aggressive bears, so anything taller than the tonneau cover is a non starter.
What?

No no no... keep the nice cooler. It just rides in the cab.

The kids... the kids go in the frunk now...

That said, yeah, I'm scratching my head what to do here. Mine is a tad too tall for the bed as well with the cover closed, and I'm super sure won't fit in the frunk now.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I do find it strange that Rivian didn't think through this issue and offer an electric cooler as part of their adventure gear at launch that fits the vehicle. What's a camp kitchen for without camp food to cook?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I do find it strange that Rivian didn't think through this issue and offer an electric cooler as part of their adventure gear at launch that fits the vehicle. What's a camp kitchen for without camp food to cook?
They mentioned having a custom one made, when they were showing the prototype kitchen at overland expo 2019.

Might be something ongoing with dometic.

Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I’m with you on this one. It looks like they had to redesign the floor of the frunk since they showed the fridge in there back in 2019. Pretty clear from the most recent photos that there’s no room for a 12v fridge there anymore. The bed isn‘t a great alternative since it’s so shallow and only the smallest fridges will fit under the closed bed cover. Since the spare access is through the bed top, putting some kind of slider in seems out of the question too. No 12v access in the bed either (I know there is 110v but it’s not ideal.) It’s hard to believe that they didn’t think of this considering how much focus has been on cooking with the camp kitchen. Cant really fix this with an over the air update like Driver+.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’m with you on this one. It looks like they had to redesign the floor of the frunk since they showed the fridge in there back in 2019. Pretty clear from the most recent photos that there’s no room for a 12v fridge there anymore. The bed isn‘t a great alternative since it’s so shallow and only the smallest fridges will fit under the closed bed cover. Since the spare access is through the bed top, putting some kind of slider in seems out of the question too. No 12v access in the bed either (I know there is 110v but it’s not ideal.) It’s hard to believe that they didn’t think of this considering how much focus has been on cooking with the camp kitchen. Cant really fix this with an over the air update like Driver+.
Probably necessary engineering changes to make the vehicle functional at 110°F pulling a fully loaded trailer up a mountain. I just feel really misled by the measurements they gave out without including photos of the space.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

They mentioned having a custom one made, when they were showing the prototype kitchen at overland expo 2019.

Might be something ongoing with dometic.
I sent an e-mail off to dometic yesterday asking them about it and if they had any plans in the future to produce something that would work. Haven't heard back yet but I'll post if I do.

Reactions: Zac

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Even if they have something planned, it's probably impacted by the same design changes as we are. It may still arrive later.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I sent an e-mail off to dometic yesterday asking them about it and if they had any plans in the future to produce something that would work. Haven't heard back yet but I'll post if I do.
They probably won’t tell you if they do. Most companies don’t comment on future product for obvious reasons.
Sponsored