PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V??

Lil'O Annie

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy BoltEV, COMING SOON!! R1T LE/LG/FE
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Any recommendations for portable refrigerators to use in the Rivians?
AND, is there a 12V or 120V outlet in the front trunk--haven't been able to find info on that.
Advertisement

Seattleite

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicles
BMW X1, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Slacker
You might not want to put a fridge in the frunk unless there's good airflow, otherwise there'll be nowhere for the heat to go...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
There are several out there and as I have only used the one I am hardly qualified to offer a review. I can say that the ARB I have has been great both in the car and in the house (where we use it a supplemental fridge for soft drinks, beer etc.)

AND, is there a 12V or 120V outlet in the front trunk--haven't been able to find info on that.
I believe the answer to that is "both". This is something to think about a bit depending on the architecture of the fridge you buy. The ARB, for example, has a 12V compressor and a 120V power supply to produce 12V if you plug it in at home. Obviously in the car you want to use the 12V receptacles as overall the system is more efficient that way.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
You might not want to put a fridge in the frunk unless there's good airflow, otherwise there'll be nowhere for the heat to go...
The ARB uses 45 W when it is running and seems to be on about a 1/3 duty cycle so average consumption is 15 W. That's 51 BTU/hr. I'll bet that won't warm the frunk much.

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2013 BMW F800GS, 1969 Jeep CJ5
Occupation
Software Engineering
I believe front trunk is 12V only, bed is 120V only.

I have a dometic 95DZ that I plan to put in the frunk (if it fits - the latest shots have me nervous 😬). I'm not concerned about the ventilation - it may be a little harder on the compressor over time but it's worth it to me to have a sealed area that's still easy to access and leaves the bed free. (Lots of local campgrounds don't allow fridges in a non-secure compartment given grizzlies, and the Dometic is an inch or two too tall for the bed.)

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
There is definitely 12v in the frunk. (Located on little shelf towards the top front of the frunk off set to the drivers side) I saw it in April when I wasn't allowed to take interior pictures...lol. It was always my understanding that Rivian practically expected people to use the frunk with a fridge. At one point there was talk about custom fridges for the frunk but maybe that was wishful thinking.....

jessefive

First Name
Jesse
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I don't claim to know anything about portable fridges, but I did notice one in the MotorTrend tire article:

2022-Rivian-R1T-Spare-Tire-Explained-15.jpg

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Didn't Rivian say at one point that they were partnering with Dometic to make a custom fridge for the frunk? I swear I saw this somewhere..

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I'm sorry - You appear to be incorrect. That is clearly a table. :p

Ok yes - I bored..... at least next week there will be football on Sunday.

I don't claim to know anything about portable fridges, but I did notice one in the MotorTrend tire article:

2022-Rivian-R1T-Spare-Tire-Explained-15.jpg

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicles
2016 Range Rover Sport
Occupation
Network Engineer
I use a Dometic CFX3, and it’s great. Heavy once loaded, but a great dual zone option.

Definitely go 12V. It’s much more efficient. The nice thing anout the dometic is it has 2 ports, and can run off either. So if you need to bring it in, you can run off regular 110 outlet - or for our R1S’s, go frunk or cabin.

I just used mine again this past weekend, left it in the trunk with a Jackery 500. Didn’t notice any crazy heat output - but hard to notice when it’s 100+ in the car :)

If I had to purchase over, I’d probably go a little smaller fridge only and keep a separate yeti for clean ice. I mostly take 2 day trips. For longer overlands, the freezer would be fantastic though.

Though I will say, being able to
open up the freezer and have ice (not melty) and a syruppy bottle of vodka is pretty baller. Not to mention popsicles for the kiddos that don’t get all mushy and wet with traditional
coolers.

Advertisement

Advertisement