First Name
G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi S5 Cabriolet, 4 Wranglers
Occupation
Professional Email Deleter
has anyone found a portable charger or inverter that can charge the Rivian with the charging cable? I see some of them (anker, eco-flow) have some very powerful wattage ratings, and are being advertised as whole-home-backup solutions. The solar panel piece of those are interesting. I am sure I am missing something in the science of these devices but I wanted to check if anyone experienced them.
Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They don’t have the battery capacity to be useful for more than a few miles of charge. The only truly useful and portable charge solution is a gas generator.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
The problem here is battery capacity. Rivians get about 2 miles/kWh so you need a decent size battery to get any significant range. Say at least 20 kWh to get 40 miles.
There are some of the newer, larger portable battery stations which have large batteries (and add-on batteries) which might be able to work. It would be best if they would also have a 240v output for more efficient charging.
My home battery backup system (Outback Power Skybox) has 20 kWh of batteries and 5 kW 240volt output so would work in a pinch. I also have a "Beam" solar/battery installation at my office which has a 40 kWh battery and 5kW charging. This is also not very portable.
Something similar in a portable station would be heavy and expensive.

boxedlunch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Preorder R1S
Agree with all of the comments with a caveat:

There will definitely be edge cases where these types of "solar generator" devices can be useful. For example: A few 100W panels plus a few kW of battery would be great for light campsite use + topping off daily phantom drain losses when off-grid.
Sponsored