Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Can you share what manufacturer whitelabled this for you? I'd like to know for peace of mind. I've been meaning to get a portable 40A unit for my R1T and Mach-E.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Lot of money for very little benefit....

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

A few questions:

1. Is it UL-certified?

2. Will it support 120V, 30A using a TT-30 adapter? (that socket is available at most RV parks.)

3. Can the max amperage be lowered on the EVSE? (I'd also like to use this on my other EVs, one of which has no ability to lower amperage in-vehicle, so if I plug this in using a plug adapter to a 30A circuit, I want to be able to tell it to use less amperage, since I can't in-vehicle.)

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Hope you have liability insurance for when people plug this into a 40A NEMA 14-50 and expect it to not burn down their house. I'm pretty sure that's why Rivian limits their portable charger (included in your R1 purchase) to 32A.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Why even offer what already comes with each vehicle??

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Hope you have liability insurance for when people plug this into a 40A NEMA 14-50 and expect it to not burn down their house. I'm pretty sure that's why Rivian limits their portable charger (included in your R1 purchase) to 32A.
Rivian sells a 48 amp charger too :)

The Team 1EV charger is a-okay for Rivian.

Rivian R1T R1S Portable chargers for Rivian R1T / R1S have launched! 40amp fast charge 💪🏼 IMG_9231

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Why even offer what already comes with each vehicle??
It's not a necessity. But for the same reason Rivian sells them too - might leave on at home for charging and rather than roll it up and take it with you, buy another one to leave in the truck. Maybe you have two homes and want to leave one at each home. Or leave one at work. Etc.

Also, the 40amp charger from Team 1EV is faster charging than the the 32amp Rivian charger.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

A few questions:

1. Is it UL-certified?

2. Will it support 120V, 30A using a TT-30 adapter? (that socket is available at most RV parks.)

3. Can the max amperage be lowered on the EVSE? (I'd also like to use this on my other EVs, one of which has no ability to lower amperage in-vehicle, so if I plug this in using a plug adapter to a 30A circuit, I want to be able to tell it to use less amperage, since I can't in-vehicle.)
CE and TUV listed [these are European equivalents to UL]. UL is optional in US, but CE is mandatory in Europe.

Yes, you can use 120V, 30A using a TT-30. But you cannot exceed the output of the charger, ie the 16amp charger maxes at 16 and the 40 maxes at 40.

Yes, you can adjust max amperage on the charger - for sure.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
The Rivian portable charger can actually pull 34a despite being rated for 32a. I plugged it into a Nema 10-30 dryer outlet using an adapter, and the vehicle defaults to 34a. It charged like that for a couple hours before I realized it and knocked it down to 24a. The outlet was definitely hot though.

Why would a charging cable rated for 40a not be able to plug into a Nema 14-50 and pull 40a? What component in that system is out of parameter?

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Can you share what manufacturer whitelabled this for you? I'd like to know for peace of mind. I've been meaning to get a portable 40A unit for my R1T and Mach-E.

Team 1EV has done a good bit of durability testing on chargers, and we're happy to offer a 2yr warranty on these. This unit will work great for your R1T/Mach-E needs.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

If their NEMA 14-50 is only on a 40A breaker, then that's out of spec, and could burn down someone's house on *ANY* 40A EVSE. Of note - I have 40A wall-mounted EVSE connected to a 14-50 outlet in my house. That's "the standard" for wall-mount EVSEs that aren't hard-wired. 14-50 plug on 50A breaker running at 40A.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
If their NEMA 14-50 is only on a 40A breaker, then that's out of spec, and could burn down someone's house on *ANY* 40A EVSE.
Not so - code allows a NEMA 14-50 socket on a 40A breaker, because there is no standard 40A socket. This has been discussed over and over again on these forums by people wanting to install their own socket. IMO it's an extremely bad idea unless the outlet is inaccessible and dedicated to a specific appliance like a stove, but code does allow it.

And again, I believe that's why Rivian limits their portable charger to 32A (80% of 40A). I can't think of any other reason for that limit.

Regardless, if someone is to market and sell their own portable EVSE which automatically draws 40A when plugged into a NEMA 14-50, then I think that someone needs to either have a permanent warning sticker attached to the EVSE or carry a lot of liability insurance. The fact that the OP equates the 48A hardwired Rivian wall charger with his own portable plug-in EVSE to justify the 40A means he doesn't understand the basics here.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

If their NEMA 14-50 is only on a 40A breaker, then that's out of spec, and could burn down someone's house on *ANY* 40A EVSE. Of note - I have 40A wall-mounted EVSE connected to a 14-50 outlet in my house. That's "the standard" for wall-mount EVSEs that aren't hard-wired. 14-50 plug on 50A breaker running at 40A.

Correct, we recommend 50 amp circuit in order to charge at 40 amp.
Sponsored