Sponsored

Porsche Taycan beats EPA rating in winter!

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I will never buy an ICE car again, so my garage will only have a Porsche, a Rivian, or maybe an Audi moving forward.
I am 100% confident that once I grow enough balls to tell my wife I am spending that much on a car, Aston Martin will be fully eclectic!
Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
As efficient as heatpumps are, they don't work very well, and take a long time to bring temps up when working in low temps. in residential applications they work great, they have practically an unlimited source of electricity, they can literally run all day and night to bring up and maintain temperatures. In an EV, electricity is limited, so if it can't heat up fast enough when needed, it's useless. That being said, in smaller battery packs and milder conditions they could work better, but probably due to the size of the battery Rivian is using, and the heat demand needed to bring all those cells up to temp quickly it probably isn't the most efficient way to go. Also of all people working at Rivian RJ should be well educated based on his degree with thermal dynamics and heat pumps, so they probably chose the right option. Just my opinion and experience from working with heat pumps though.
As I said in a previous post. In Chicago the heat pumps struggle in the winter. It can't keep up with the cabin temp and battery conditioning, and it does prioritize the cabin. You will drive 45 minutes, and almost no regen braking, and minimal power draw available to the driving experience isn't great.

Now, the R1 could have added a heat pump with an auxiliary heat source. There are many implementations, but the most common 2 are:
1- Aux heat to provide to the heat pump itself.
2- Aux heat that is mechanically separate but thermally linked. Basically a booster.

However, in a vehicle that would be a bit too complex to implement. Unless they provide the battery a separate thermal management system.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Denver Paulie, did you look at the Audi Etron GT at all? Would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Porsche is renowned for exceeding expectations across their product line ✅
Sponsored