Sponsored

Porsche Taycan beats EPA rating in winter!

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

What suburb is that? It was -16F here!
I'm out in Downers Grove. I didn't wake up till 9am lol, not sure how cold it was earlier than that. Windchill was worse.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

The Taycan is incredible and far more efficient at moving people than the R1T with it's extra 2000 pounds. But I assume most people buying the R1T are buying it because they need a pickup truck form factor so the inefficiency is a tradeoff for function.
I'll be honest, the main reason I'm going R1T over the Taycan because of my budget. The most impressive thing about the Taycan isn't its 0-60 or charge times, its how fast the price balloons with just a few a few options.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Related to this, I have real concerns over the R1T/R1S in winter. I don't know why there isn't a heat pump and I think it could really be a problem. It's quite proven at this point that heat pumps drastically improve the function of EV batteries in cold weather, relating to both efficiency and charging, and just an odd decision not to have one on these cars.

Time will tell.
Not in my climate they don’t.

heat pumps fall off a cliff around -25c

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Not in my climate they don’t.

heat pumps fall off a cliff around -25c
That must be some premium one of a kind heat pump you are describing there lol Heat pumps become crap below 40, the good ones, can go to about 25. I haven't really seen any compact heatpump that operates below that limit, let alone being efficient.

I am glad the R1 does not have heat pumps, keeping up with large vehicle at freezing temps will be impossible. We'd have to plug auxiliary heaters to the 120v!

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm out in Downers Grove. I didn't wake up till 9am lol, not sure how cold it was earlier than that. Windchill was worse.
I am like 5 minutes south of you, but yeah around 9am things were easier lol At 6am it was brutal!

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'll be honest, the main reason I'm going R1T over the Taycan because of my budget. The most impressive thing about the Taycan isn't its 0-60 or charge times, its how fast the price balloons with just a few a few options.
My minimum acceptable build on the Taycan is 137K... wtf! And that's with stock paint, interior and wheels!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That must be some premium one of a kind heat pump you are describing there lol Heat pumps become crap below 40, the good ones, can go to about 25. I haven't really seen any compact heatpump that operates below that limit, let alone being efficient.

I am glad the R1 does not have heat pumps, keeping up with large vehicle at freezing temps will be impossible. We'd have to plug auxiliary heaters to the 120v!
Modern air source heat pumps(think ductless mini split) will work ok down to -25

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Related to this, I have real concerns over the R1T/R1S in winter. I don't know why there isn't a heat pump and I think it could really be a problem. It's quite proven at this point that heat pumps drastically improve the function of EV batteries in cold weather, relating to both efficiency and charging, and just an odd decision not to have one on these cars.

Time will tell.
If the resistive heater pulls 4kw peak, that's about 3% an hour at full blast constantly. I'm more worried about being able to get the battery itself preconditioned prior to leaving in the cold than I am heating the cabin with a heater. And getting the battery to precondition for DCFC.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
My minimum acceptable build on the Taycan is 137K... wtf! And that's with stock paint, interior and wheels!

Yes, but it is one of those rare vehicles that checks just about every box you want. It drives better than 99% of vehicles on the road, it charges faster than all but one EV, and it is flexible enough of a vehicle to be a great road trip car or a daily driver.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not, but after two Model S', a Model X, and an Audi e-Tron, it is the best EV I have ever driven.

I love my Taycan, but I also have an R1T on order since it balances out the Taycan for being able to go off road and enjoying more remote places in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.

Rivian R1T R1S Porsche Taycan beats EPA rating in winter! life-moves-pretty-fast-if-you-dont-stop-and-look-around-for-a-while-you-could-miss-it-ferris-b

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes, but it is one of those rare vehicles that checks just about every box you want. It drives better than 99% of vehicles on the road, it charges faster than all but one EV, and it is flexible enough of a vehicle to be a great road trip car or a daily driver.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not, but after two Model S', a Model X, and an Audi e-Tron, it is the best EV I have ever driven.

I love my Taycan, but I also have an R1T on order since it balances out the Taycan for being able to go off road and enjoying more remote places in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.

life-moves-pretty-fast-if-you-dont-stop-and-look-around-for-a-while-you-could-miss-it-ferris-b...jpg
Oh, I think its not just the best EV, but one of the best vehicles around. I drove the base RWD, and its fantastic. It feels more like a 911 in Panamera clothing, but if I am spending that much money (If I really want to buy one, It will be around 180k), it would have to be an Aston Martin.

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Modern air source heat pumps(think ductless mini split) will work ok down to -25
But those aren't small. I have a Mitsubishi unit in one of my offices, rated to -25, but it really struggles around -10. But that is neat if they could package something similar and make it more portable! As far as I could tell from the model 3, if you did not precondition your battery before you leave ( in Chicago weather ) it will almost never get up there because the heat pump has to work on both. The cabin wasn't too bad, but the battery never got to full potential even though we drove about 45 minutes.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But those aren't small. I have a Mitsubishi unit in one of my offices, rated to -25, but it really struggles around -10. But that is neat if they could package something similar and make it more portable! As far as I could tell from the model 3, if you did not precondition your battery before you leave ( in Chicago weather ) it will almost never get up there because the heat pump has to work on both. The cabin wasn't too bad, but the battery never got to full potential even though we drove about 45 minutes.
Prezactly!

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Oh, I think its not just the best EV, but one of the best vehicles around. I drove the base RWD, and its fantastic. It feels more like a 911 in Panamera clothing, but if I am spending that much money (If I really want to buy one, It will be around 180k), it would have to be an Aston Martin.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I will never buy an ICE car again, so my garage will only have a Porsche, a Rivian, or maybe an Audi moving forward.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

Time will tell.
As efficient as heatpumps are, they don't work very well, and take a long time to bring temps up when working in low temps. in residential applications they work great, they have practically an unlimited source of electricity, they can literally run all day and night to bring up and maintain temperatures. In an EV, electricity is limited, so if it can't heat up fast enough when needed, it's useless. That being said, in smaller battery packs and milder conditions they could work better, but probably due to the size of the battery Rivian is using, and the heat demand needed to bring all those cells up to temp quickly it probably isn't the most efficient way to go. Also of all people working at Rivian RJ should be well educated based on his degree with thermal dynamics and heat pumps, so they probably chose the right option. Just my opinion and experience from working with heat pumps though.

Last edited: