Sponsored

Porsche releases $134,650 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo, is slower than R1T at half the price!

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Rivian R1T R1S Porsche releases $134,650 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo, is slower than R1T at half the price! 2022-Porsche-Taycan-GTS-Sport-Turismo-front-low

Porsche releases $134,650 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo, great looking car but isn't it funny that it's exactly twice the price of a base R1T, and 0.5 seconds slower in the 0-60? Even if the Rivian 0-60 numbers are a little exaggerated, at worst the R1T does it in 3.5 which ties the Taycan....

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/11/17/porsche-taycan-gts-sport-turismo-la-auto-show/#slide-2362714

"As for performance, here is where the Taycan differs from other models' GTS versions. Normally, they skew closer to the S, with only a modest increase in output. The Taycan, however, basically splits the atypically enormous gap between 4S (462 horsepower) and Turbo (670 hp) with a combined output of 590 hp. This is accomplished by adding just the larger rear motor of the Turbo, and results in a 0-60 time, with Launch Control, of 3.5 seconds."
Sponsored

Shaka

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Reservation
Porsche releases $134,650 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo, great looking car but isn't it funny that it's exactly twice the price of a base R1T, and 0.5 seconds slower in the 0-60? Even if the Rivian 0-60 numbers are a little exaggerated, at worst the R1T does it in 3.5 which ties the Taycan....
Not really all that ‘funny’ — just physics. And really, two very different vehicles. I’ve owned 2x Porsche Taycan, and no other EV comes close to the handling mannerisms of the Porsche. Closest match so far to date would be either the Audi eTron GT (driven, not owned), or Polestar 2 PP (own Right now). But I’ve had my fair share of EV SUVs (Wranlger 4XE, Model X and Y Tesla, Audi eTron SUV, etc)— and all of those vehicles would slide off the road in a spirited drive or go half the speed.

So yes, in a straight line, the two may be close. Though… Edmunds recently tested the R1T and they were only able to get 3.5 seconds- a far cry from the 3.0 seconds that Rivian claims. So where Rivian seems ot have over promised and under achieved, most Porsche tests results are the other way around.

It is hilarious that the Rivian at 3.5 seconds will smash some serious kit — a lot of really nice/fast cars out there will get spanked by the rivian truck/SUV. Let’s just hope you don’t have to also turn at the same time ;) … I’m stoked for my forthcoming Rivian, but I don’t think it’ll ever replace my sports cars/sedans Too.

Arthur Itiz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mercedes a220, 2021 Mercedes gla250
I'm not clear on what the appeal is to these 'elite' car manufacturers is anymore. It certainly can't be how quick they are, since consumer electric vehicle manufacturers as a whole can obtain the same, if not faster 0-60 times for far less cash.

The Porsche above has launch control and still only manages 3.5 seconds. The R1T/R1S doesn't have launch control (yet) and can do that. Along with tow 11,000 pounds, haul 1700 pounds, go off road as good/better than a jeep, tour the town in style, AND be an everyday commuter!

Seriously, what do these car manufacturers offer over the other manufacturers that justify double the prices?

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Seriously, what do these car manufacturers offer over the other manufacturers that justify double the prices?
I’ve shown myself willing to pay for a 6 figure wagon, and might do so again. For wagon fans, this car alone is seriously lustworthy.

Sponsored

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I'm not clear on what the appeal is to these 'elite' car manufacturers is anymore. It certainly can't be how quick they are, since consumer electric vehicle manufacturers as a whole can obtain the same, if not faster 0-60 times for far less cash.

The Porsche above has launch control and still only manages 3.5 seconds. The R1T/R1S doesn't have launch control (yet) and can do that. Along with tow 11,000 pounds, haul 1700 pounds, go off road as good/better than a jeep, tour the town in style, AND be an everyday commuter!

Uhhh, because people want luxury goods and like to drive great handling cars?

Arthur Itiz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Uhhh, because people want luxury goods and like to drive great handling cars?
From all accounts the R1T is fairly luxurious and handles pretty nicely. I'm not saying it's up to Porsche in those areas, but I don't think it lags behind so far as to justify double the price. At least from my point of view.

If I can pull up next to this car at a stop light and stay with it until the next light, I'm going to laugh all the way to Lowes to pick up a load of lumber. Yeah sure it's going to beat me on a road with a lot of curves.

I guess it's just that I don't have money to throw away on a car like this just to be able to say 'it handles better than your R1T in corners!'

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

RVAir

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche 911 GTS
Occupation
Dentist, air show pilot

Steering feel, handling, reliability( yet to proven in Rivian), and driving pleasure are far beyond those of other manufacturers. Drive any new Porsche and you will be amazed at their daily driver aptitude.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Not really all that ‘funny’ — just physics. And really, two very different vehicles. I’ve owned 2x Porsche Taycan, and no other EV comes close to the handling mannerisms of the Porsche. Closest match so far to date would be either the Audi eTron GT (driven, not owned), or Polestar 2 PP (own Right now). But I’ve had my fair share of EV SUVs (Wranlger 4XE, Model X and Y Tesla, Audi eTron SUV, etc)— and all of those vehicles would slide off the road in a spirited drive or go half the speed.

So yes, in a straight line, the two may be close. Though… Edmunds recently tested the R1T and they were only able to get 3.5 seconds- a far cry from the 3.0 seconds that Rivian claims. So where Rivian seems ot have over promised and under achieved, most Porsche tests results are the other way around.

It is hilarious that the Rivian at 3.5 seconds will smash some serious kit — a lot of really nice/fast cars out there will get spanked by the rivian truck/SUV. Let’s just hope you don’t have to also turn at the same time ;) … I’m stoked for my forthcoming Rivian, but I don’t think it’ll ever replace my sports cars/sedans Too.
Consider Roadster Founders Series instead for cornering and speed?

Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
[/QUOTE]

I have a '21 Taycan 4s, but also have a R1T on order. Two different cars for two different types of driving experiences.

Try driving up and down Independence Pass in Colorado in light traffic in an all wheel drive Taycan, then you will re-evaluate your opinion. Performance statistics on paper are one thing, actually putting the vehicle to use on the road are two completely different things.

Cheers

Shaka

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Reservation
Consider Roadster Founders Series instead for cornering and speed?
Owned a 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport w/R80 upgrade. I never should have sold that car. It has more than doubled in value -- oops! I'd love a new 2nd gen Roadster but they're too rich for my blood.

Arthur Itiz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I have a '21 Taycan 4s, but also have a R1T on order. Two different cars for two different types of driving experiences.

Try driving up and down Independence Pass in Colorado in light traffic in an all wheel drive Taycan, then you will re-evaluate your opinion. Performance statistics on paper are one thing, actually putting the vehicle to use on the road are two completely different things.

Cheers
[/QUOTE]

You're probably right. Alas, I doubt I'll ever get that opportunity. Which is probably a good thing. Ignorance is bliss. :p

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
You're probably right. Alas, I doubt I'll ever get that opportunity. Which is probably a good thing. Ignorance is bliss. :p
[/QUOTE]

@Arthur Itiz: If you every make it out to Denver we will take that drive, weather allowing. Over the past 10 years, I have done that drive in a BMW X5, a supercharged v-8 full sized Range Rover, a 2016 Tesla Model S, a 2017 Tesla Model X, a 2019 Tesla Model S, a 2019 Audi e-Tron, a 2020 Porsche Taycan 4s, and a 2021 Porsche Taycan 4s. Nothing puts a smile on your face like the Porsche.

If you are in the area, we are going for a drive.

Cheers

Arthur Itiz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

@Arthur Itiz: If you every make it out to Denver we will take that drive, weather allowing. Over the past 10 years, I have done that drive in a BMW X5, a supercharged v-8 full sized Range Rover, a 2016 Tesla Model S, a 2017 Tesla Model X, a 2019 Tesla Model S, a 2019 Audi e-Tron, a 2020 Porsche Taycan 4s, and a 2021 Porsche Taycan 4s. Nothing puts a smile on your face like the Porsche.

If you are in the area, we are going for a drive.

Cheers
[/QUOTE]

That is a generous offer and one I would definitely take you up on if/when I get out that way. I'd just hate to see the look on the wife's face after I tell her we need to refi the house so I can buy a Porsche!
Sponsored