Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

I voted no, but if control of Tesla’s plug is transferred to an independent body I would possibly vote yes.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Only under certain terms:

1. Tesla relinquishes all IP around NACS and surrounding charging patents, including how AC v DC switching occurs on vehicle side via the 2 pins on NACS

2. NACS standards board becomes an independent third party, where all members of the board get to determine how NACS evolves over time.

3. All vehicles of any brand with NACS compatibility get access to Superchargers. This point matters, because the only reason we're talking about this is because people want Supercharger access. (We wouldn't be talking about this if the debate is about whether EA should adopt NACS or CCS)

Otherwise, I would prefer to keep CCS. The last thing I want to see is EV adoption/growth done on Tesla's terms.

Last edited:

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Yes, Assuming all CCS vehicles get access to superchargers via an adapter.

Sponsored

240vPlug

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

Voted yes. Its a much less cumbersome plug and utilized the same plug head for both AC and DC charging. Also feel we need to open up charging to all EV.

I will admit I have concerns about the layout of chargers at stations and specifically Tesla SC which are designed around driver rear charge port locations. My main concerns are around utilization efficiency of the charging stations. We also need more pull through access at chargers across the US. These are separate issues from the plug standard IMO.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I voted no, but if control of Tesla’s plug is transferred to an independent body I would possibly vote yes.
This - exactly this.

It has less to do with the NACS port and everything to do with Tesla having undue influence on NACS charging infrastructure.

We need competition to keep costs low for consumers and to drive innovation. Third parties are going to be severely disadvantaged relative to Tesla who already has tens of thousands of NACS chargers world-wide. They immediately corner the market the moment you decide to just switch everyone to NACS.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Voted yes. Its a much less cumbersome plug and utilized the same plug head for both AC and DC charging. Also feel we need to open up charging to all EV.

I will admit I have concerns about the layout of chargers at stations and specifically Tesla SC which are designed around driver rear charge port locations. My main concerns are around utilization efficiency of the charging stations. We also need more pull through access at chargers across the US. These are separate issues from the plug standard IMO.
You raise excellent points and I share all of your concerns. The issue here is that the existing network of Superchargers is simply not designed for non-Tesla vehicles and there are no easy fixes.

I am all for a charging standard, but whatever that standard is, it can't be a monopoly which is exactly what it will be if everyone switched over. Tesla controls nearly 100% of NACS charging infrastructure. Third parties would be toast. No ability to effectively compete to lower cost and drive innovation.

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Canyon Red R1T, 2022 Blue Model Y,
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
If Rivian goes to NACS that does NOT mean you have to use a supercharger. This is only about the connector and every other station can EASILY put in NACS cables. It's a better connector: slimmer, lockable, same for AC and DC, more reliable.

This doesn't meant that EA, EVgo, and Chargepoint go away. They will also switch to NACS, especially if Rivian joins that standard.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
If Rivian goes to NACS that does NOT mean you have to use a supercharger. This is only about the connector and every other station can EASILY put in NACS cables. It's a better connector: slimmer, lockable, same for AC and DC, more reliable.

This doesn't meant that EA, EVgo, and Chargepoint go away. They will also switch to NACS, especially if Rivian joins that standard.
this is reductive. The ONLY reason this entire thing is a debate is because of access to Superchargers.

If Tesla said no one will get supercharger access, even if they adopted NACS, then no one would even consider it.

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
this is reductive. The ONLY reason this entire thing is a debate is because of access to Superchargers.

If Tesla said no one will get supercharger access, even if they adopted NACS, then no one would even consider it.
It's not reductive. It's exactly the issue. No one is FORCSD to use a supercharger. And even if I couldn't use the supercharger I want an NACS connector because it's better.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I voted no because my truck would have to kiss the pedestal in order to use a Tesla SC right now. If they fix that I could be convinced.

I predict That the intrigue around this will quickly increase to Dune space opera-levels very soon.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles