Sponsored

How interested are you in a factory/tour delivery option?

• Total voters

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
In Texas you only pay the difference in Tax if you paid tax in the purchase state... Illinois has the exact same tax rate as Texas on new vehicles... so assuming Illinois insists on collecting sales Tax because you took delivery in their state then you would notate that tax paid on form Form 130-U when registering the car in Texas.

Snippet from the form: Subtract Tax paid to another state (g) from tax due (e + f). I went through this when I bought my Lexus in Florida.. and yes I road tripped it home with my Uncle who also bought one...
Rivian R1T R1S Poll: Rivian Factory Delivery & Tour Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 8.52.30 AM
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Whenever this comes up I caution people to be fully up to date on what the registration laws are in the state in which you take delivery and in your home state. In Virginia you will pay sales tax on a car you bring into the state irrespective of where you bought it and even if you have already paid sales tax on it in another state. This has happened to me before and more recently when I bought my first Tesla which was at a dealership in NJ and proposed flying up there to get it was cautioned by Telsa against doing so as I would have to pay NJ sales tax and then VA.

So Rivian would have to have some arrangement with Illinois whereby they can sell cars there without having to collect sales tax. I would need assurance that such an arrangement were in place before I would think of going to Normal for pickup. And, of course, I'd have to be able to take the paperwork to VA DMV in order to get plates for the truck for the trip home.
Great reminder. This would appear to capture the current (2020) requirement for IL. We can reconcile this against our own state requirements.

Presumably Rivian, like Tesla, will be shepherding customers through these details but always best to know the facts for yourself.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I would definitely be interested in coming to Normal for an on-site delivery. A factory tour would be great and if they remove or lower the destination charge, that would be gravy.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I talked to a Corvette owner a few years ago and Chevy used to (not sure if they still do) have a program like this. The new owner would be the first person to start and only person to drive the car after it rolled off the assembly line. He loved it.

TyrusRex

First Name
Tyrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This is my plan:

I'll walk from my house to the nearest DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) station (5 miles). I'll take it to downtown Dallas and walk across the tracks to board Amtrak. I'll take Amtrak to Normal and then walk another 5 miles to the Rivian factory and pick up my truck. I'm not sure if I'll drive straight back to Texas or "get lost" along the way. I'm leaning towards getting lost. LOL

A factory tour would be AWESOME!!!

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Nice, TyrusRex. How long will the trip you outlined take, including the walking parts? I'm guessing someone from the Normal plant will be there to meet you, however.

Your post got me thinking.

No such easy, nearby rail options from where I live. I could take a bus or hitch a ride from Santa Cruz to San Jose, BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from San Jose to Oakland, and connect to the Union Pacific at Oakland for a 51 hour and $141 trip to Chicago, and then another 2-3 hours and $25-30 to Bloomington/Normal.

In spite of the time spent and how tired I'll be, it might be a better way to pick up my Rivian than flying. Flying would make the trip seem too easy, too uneventful. I want the entire trip, going and returning, to be eventful.

But I'll probably opt for the easy way in the end. Or go down to Laguna Beach for a California pickup though I suspect there will also be a Rivian "store" in San Jose.

Mr. Sparkle

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Perhaps the BMW Performance Center next to their factory in Greer, SC could be an inspiration for Rivian.

https://bmwperformancecenter.com/delivery/

Buyers can choose to take delivery there (even if their BMW is made in Germany) and get to take a driving course, as well as a factory tour. They don't waive the destination fee, but the program is no additional cost and BMW pays for one night's lodging and dinner at the Greenville Marriott.

I live in SC and have driven past the Performance Center a number of times. One can catch a glimpse of an off-road course from the highway. (https://goo.gl/maps/BKVVf7GZEARH4ugF8) The FAQ page mentions that the off-road course is available for customers who have purchased an X-model. I would love an opportunity to try out my new Rivian under controlled conditions with experts in both off- and on-road driving before setting out on public roads.

So, if Greer, SC can support something like this, I'm sure Normal can. Also, the Zentrum and plant tour is pretty neat, even if you're not buying a BMW or taking a driving course.

Last edited:

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Maybe something like the Raptor Assault class? Get to learn about our new vehicles and their capabilities (without having to learn on our own vehicles)

https://www.raptorassault.com/

TyrusRex

First Name
Tyrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Nice, TyrusRex. How long will the trip you outlined take, including the walking parts? I'm guessing someone from the Normal plant will be there to meet you, however.

Your post got me thinking.

No such easy, nearby rail options from where I live. I could take a bus or hitch a ride from Santa Cruz to San Jose, BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from San Jose to Oakland, and connect to the Union Pacific at Oakland for a 51 hour and $141 trip to Chicago, and then another 2-3 hours and $25-30 to Bloomington/Normal.

In spite of the time spent and how tired I'll be, it might be a better way to pick up my Rivian than flying. Flying would make the trip seem too easy, too uneventful. I want the entire trip, going and returning, to be eventful.

But I'll probably opt for the easy way in the end. Or go down to Laguna Beach for a California pickup though I suspect there will also be a Rivian "store" in San Jose.
I agree on making the trip eventful! I can walk the five mile portions, even with a backpack, in a couple of hours. The Amtrak schedule, as it sits now, leaves Dallas at 3:40 PM and arrives in Normal at 11:01 AM. So I can sleep on the train and be ready to go when I arrive. Overall, from house to plant, should take about 25 hours!

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
what if they don't eliminate the destination charge, or pay for the transportation to go there, but they give us pre-order holders a deal with some stock options for a future ipo...

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
what if they don't eliminate the destination charge, or pay for the transportation to go there, but they give us pre-order holders a deal with some stock options for a future ipo...
I wish. Would be an interesting way to build brand loyalty and reward early customers, but I doubt it's in the cards.

Additionally, Rivian likes to keep things private & would probably not want details on number of outstanding shares & company valuation made available to "public" option/stock holders.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
Hey, I’d come help screw it together if that meant I got my R1S sooner! :) I’d love to tour the factory —it’d be a great start to our new Rivian adventure.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I’m in the Seattle area, so my plan was to fly to Chicago and then just rent a car to drive the two-ish hours to Normal. Figure I’d keep things simple

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
I've made much of that drive a couple of times. It's not bad. Since I would fly in, do the tour and drive back home; I'm not too worried about what kinds of attractions Normal offers.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Whenever this comes up I caution people to be fully up to date on what the registration laws are in the state in which you take delivery and in your home state. In Virginia you will pay sales tax on a car you bring into the state irrespective of where you bought it and even if you have already paid sales tax on it in another state. This has happened to me before and more recently when I bought my first Tesla which was at a dealership in NJ and proposed flying up there to get it was cautioned by Telsa against doing so as I would have to pay NJ sales tax and then VA.

So Rivian would have to have some arrangement with Illinois whereby they can sell cars there without having to collect sales tax. I would need assurance that such an arrangement were in place before I would think of going to Normal for pickup. And, of course, I'd have to be able to take the paperwork to VA DMV in order to get plates for the truck for the trip home.
I buy a new boat at a dealership in Blythe, CA, then towed it back to Arizona. The dealership in Blythe collected the Arizona state tax and sent it in to them. Rivian should be able to do the same thing, but if Illinois tried to charge me tax, I simply would not pick it up there.
Sponsored