Sponsored

How interested are you in a factory/tour delivery option?

• Total voters
OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
"With nothing much around," says the thread starter? Aside from Chicago, Ann Arbor, Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities and other places in the greater Mid-West region I apologize for not mentioning.
A little context is in order.
The Customer Engagement rep I was speaking with came from Ferrari and prior to that Ducati. Factory tours in Modena or Bologna are a touch more exotic than Illinois ;)

I also have relatives in the Midwest and would take a vacation to do this. I have driven across Kansas (actually twice in two days), Wyoming, Montana, etc and there is a certain "sameness" that is relaxing for a while, then gets old. But the payoff of the Rocky Mountains and/or other fantastic natural attractions between Normal and Oregon would be worth it.
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Would the tour be only for people pre-ordering the R1T? Seems like Rivian has been treating the R1S as the ugly step sister

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Would the tour be only for people pre-ordering the R1T? Seems like Rivian has been treating the R1S as the ugly step sister
In order to make this worthwhile, I don't think they would want to limit it. My guess is this is something that would be an option for all vehicle deliveries going forward. If they had enough takers, it could also provide a minor little boost to the local BN economy.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I was kind of expecting to take delivery in Normal.... Since I live in Texas and until recently Texas was extremely unfriendly to the EV market... And really still is as far as deliverys go... Now that Tesla is setting up shop here I'm not sure if/when Texas will change the dealer rules.... Anyway I hope factory pickup is an option...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Fly there & "adventure" my way back to TX.

Factory tour would be an awesome bonus. Would be great to have a regular delivery/tour time each month (or more frequently) that would also give us the opportunity to meet other owners, and possibly some local activity or adventure options while we're there.

Would be a great way to build the brand & owner community. Maybe even encourage people to take & share videos from their adventure home.

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Did anyone else get this email ?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Maybe the author of this thread is a secret Rivian mole? Just remember I started this conspiracy theory. :devil:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@DucRider is very "plugged in" to the EV community, so this doesn't surprise me at all. ;)

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
Just pulled the trigger on an R1T preorder (the site is having you pick between the R1T and the R1S as of right now) in hopes that my wife and I can do a factory tour and pick up in Normal! We are both engineers and she works in the automotive industry so it would be awesome for us! So excited right now!

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has to be, I barely got the thanks for getting your money email
Pretty sure Rivian Santa put me on the naughty list for the order data stuff...I just hope it doesn't put me at the end of the delivery list. LOL

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I’m totally up for a factory tour and drive home to Salt Lake in my new R1S. I would also consider pick-up in California and driving home from there, but I could make a few stops to see friends in Colorado along the way from IL.

Count me in.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ve been counting on picking up my R1T at the factory ever since I placed my order - and was hoping they would include a factory tour! It’s an 8-1/2 hour drive back to my place in Oklahoma; easy one day drive if I didn’t stop for sightseeing along the way. Which I probably would.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
This would give me the excuse to visit a lot of friends that are too spread out to fly to visit. Add going through some great Utah trails sites.

But Laguna Beach is right next door. If delivery can take place there, Normal to SoCal may be too much in comparison.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Whenever this comes up I caution people to be fully up to date on what the registration laws are in the state in which you take delivery and in your home state. In Virginia you will pay sales tax on a car you bring into the state irrespective of where you bought it and even if you have already paid sales tax on it in another state. This has happened to me before and more recently when I bought my first Tesla which was at a dealership in NJ and proposed flying up there to get it was cautioned by Telsa against doing so as I would have to pay NJ sales tax and then VA.

So Rivian would have to have some arrangement with Illinois whereby they can sell cars there without having to collect sales tax. I would need assurance that such an arrangement were in place before I would think of going to Normal for pickup. And, of course, I'd have to be able to take the paperwork to VA DMV in order to get plates for the truck for the trip home.
Sponsored