Sponsored

How interested are you in a factory/tour delivery option?

• Total voters

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Long story short, Rivian is reaching out to reservation holders (somewhat randomly) to get their stories and why they chose Rivian.

During our conversation, the subject of a Factory delivery option came up, and Rivian is seriously considering doing this.

They would likely include a factory tour as part of the package. I suggested a reduced/eliminated destination charge with free charging for the trip home. They want feedback from others.

A little of the hesitation is due to the doubt that people will want to fly to the middle of the US with nothing much around.
Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I would like the tour, but I'm not sure about the trip. It would take a number of factors coming together and a bit of planning. There would need to be a significant advance notice or flexibility to schedule the tour. It could be fun if everything worked out.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

For me a factory tour would be a nice touch, but not a deal breaker. I can get to just about anywhere in the country (including Normal) relatively easily, so if it means a slight drop in price (destination charge)like you said, then I'm onboard. I can take my time driving home and do some exploring as well.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
With COVID and being in Canada causing problems with border crossing, I have my concerns.

Ignoring that, I could see myself flying down and slowly driving home, making a fun road trip out of it. Especially if there were perks to doing so: factory tour, enough of a discount to at least cover the flight costs, or a priority spot in line.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I would go just for the factory tour even if I couldn't take delivery of my R1S.

If I were flying in to take delivery, I would appreciate some kind of assistance getting from an airport to Normal. While it would be cool to have them pick me up in a Rivian, simply coordinating a ride with a shuttle service so I don't have to figure out those details would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I suggested a reduced/eliminated destination charge with free charging for the trip home.
I forgot to mention reducing or eliminating the destination charge might tip the scales in favor of making the trip. If I can choose between paying say $500 in destination charges or flying to Illinois and picking up the car, I would be far more likely to go pick up the car. This might make more sense for Rivian if they selected people who were less convenient to deliver to. I'm in SoCal, so I would probably be easy to deliver to.

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
I’m a 6 hour drive from Normal. Was hoping to pick it up there or in St. Louis. Would love a tour/owner workshop. COVID would be my only major concern, hopefully it will have settled down by then. I could also see them running a (prototype?) passenger van from Chicago to Normal, it’s a fairly short trip - <3 hours-ish, depending on if you’re talking Midway or O’Hare.

JMR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC WK2 | Previously: Audi SQ5, GMC Canyon, many others
Interesting timing of this topic.. :like:

Just last night I was planning what the return trip to Denver would look like. I do not currently own an EV and my reservation is for the 135 kWh. Would be an awesome experience to tour the factory.

Used the PlugShare app to map out the route for +120kW CCS chargers. Note there's several other chargers along most of this route, I was just looking at the most efficient trip with an overnight stop in Omaha. I believe most of these locations are EA chargers.

Hopefully there's at least a few worthwhile scenic adventures along the way... (recently moved here from the PNW, not too familiar with the Midwest yet)

Rivian R1T R1S Poll: Rivian Factory Delivery & Tour Screenshot_20200812-154029

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
JMR1T: if your idea of scenic is corn and soybeans as far as the eye can see, then yes :).

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I have been considering it, but also thought about the possibility of picking it up at their planned location in Laguna Beach. For me that is an easy 1 hour flight from Phoenix to John Wayne airport, then a short Uber ride. I would like to see them offer that option for people in the southwest.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
"With nothing much around," says the thread starter? Aside from Chicago, Ann Arbor, Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities and other places in the greater Mid-West region I apologize for not mentioning.

Like azbill, I might prefer a Laguna Beach pickup, except I'd miss the factory tour, my Mid-Western relatives, and the great national parks, historical and archeological places of interest along the way home. So I'm all in for a factory tour and new vehicle pickup in Normal, especially if there could be some personalization/customization possibilities at the time my truck was rolling off the line.

Such as, me driving my truck off the line and into the great outdoors? Or, have a metal stamping (or laser etching) machine that prints my truck's production number, my name and the date, and fixing that to my truck? Photo opportunities? Free charging at Rivian Adventure Network chargers on the way home?

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Since I'm in Alaska I don't think I would like to take delivery in Normal. I would however be interested an owner tour/workshop in Normal before my R1T is delivered.

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro Hybrid, R1T El Cap, BM
Clubs

I think that would be amazing! I was hoping for some sort of factory tour for reservation holders, particularly because we're only about 4.5 hours from Normal. Being able to take a tour and then drive our R1T home would be outstanding! Now, if it could also be timed with a Cubs game at Wrigley in 2021, that would be the cherry on top! ;-)

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
I’d be game for Normal and a factory tour or a Laguna Beach pickup and hit some parks or cool cities on the drive back to Knoxville. #Pumped!
Sponsored