Sponsored

How interested are you in a factory/tour delivery option?

• Total voters

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Whenever this comes up I caution people to be fully up to date on what the registration laws are in the state in which you take delivery and in your home state. In Virginia you will pay sales tax on a car you bring into the state irrespective of where you bought it and even if you have already paid sales tax on it in another state. This has happened to me before and more recently when I bought my first Tesla which was at a dealership in NJ and proposed flying up there to get it was cautioned by Telsa against doing so as I would have to pay NJ sales tax and then VA.

So Rivian would have to have some arrangement with Illinois whereby they can sell cars there without having to collect sales tax. I would need assurance that such an arrangement were in place before I would think of going to Normal for pickup. And, of course, I'd have to be able to take the paperwork to VA DMV in order to get plates for the truck for the trip home.
I live in PA right across the Delaware river from NJ. I recently picked up my 2021 Tesla Model Y in Princeton NJ. They just issue you with temporary tags, they collected the sales tax that I would have paid in Pennsylvania and I was on my way. My PA plates arrived in the mail two weeks later. So picking up a vehicle in another state should not be an issue.
Sponsored

MarkB

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 1500HD
Aside from Chicago, Ann Arbor, Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities and other places in the greater Mid-West region I apologize for not mentioning.
So your definition of "around" is 345 miles (to Ann Arbor), 380 miles (to KC), 450 miles (to the Twin Cities)? Seriously, that's "around".

Sure, let's head to Normal to pick up our new R1T then make a quick stop in the Twin Cities (for some site seeing), maybe a quick hop to Ann Arbor (for more site seeing)...... I don't even consider Chicago (only 130 miles) to be "around"... you've got Champaign and Peoria within 50 miles (a more realistic definition of "around" and maybe pushing your luck with Springfield at 75 miles.....

I'm gonna stick with the original "not much around" statement on this one!

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
I was just on a road trip w my daughter, picking up 2 Jeepā€™s I bought, from Green Nay and St. Louis. So I made a night time stop at the Rivian factory to just lay my eyes on it. Hoping for a sneak peak of course, but no luck. It is a massive facility. Anyway, what I found to do in the area was drive along Route 66, which We followed from Chicago to St. Louis. The tourist traps passed the time well. Normal is just off Rte 66, and right in between those 2 big cities, and what I call short miles. I feel like anyone going to pickup their Rivian in person can enjoy driving that rte to their city of choice. I was driving back to Boston so went straight east from St. L. Which was 2 long driving days.
I canā€™t wait to get my R1T next year. Iā€™m mapping a newer, different roadtrip route starting right now. Maybe Iā€™ll see some of you on the road then.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Support now says:

Can I take delivery of my vehicle at the factory?
We will offer home delivery as our primary experience for the most convenient and flexible experience. Weā€™ll share additional delivery options that may be available, including factory pick-up, as we approach production and start accepting orders in early 2021.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
Support now says:

We will offer home delivery as our primary experience for the most convenient and flexible experience. Weā€™ll share additional delivery options that may be available, including factory pick-up, as we approach production and start accepting orders in early 2021.
Awesome! So youā€™re saying more information is coming soon as we approach early 2021.
Sounds like theyā€™re right on it. Thatā€™s indeed exciting!

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Support now says:

I would rather wait until next Spring (yep, 2022) to pick up my R1T in person and take a circuitous route back home to Oregon over ten days, than to simply have it shipped to my front door this June because of COVID-19. The thought of Rivvy making that "journey" in a trailer bores the Hell out of me! That's no "Adventure!". As POTUS himself would say, "Come on, man!". That said, I still want it in Launch Green.

If it means temporarily "borrowing" my elderly neighbor's I.D. to get my vaccination and "medical passport" prematurely to get to Illinois this June, so be it. He never comes out of his home, anyway, even before the lockdown began. Plus, he's told me a thousand times over the past 26 years how he's suffered a lifetime aversion to needles from growing up in the 60's, next door to some guy named Timothy. "Turn on, tune in, blah, blah, blah!". I say, "Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!" Everyone's happy!

It would mean more to me to meet the team, tour the factory, hear the story, and have a trip that is safer and more magical than my neighbor used to have, than just to have the R1T here early. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this, and I'm also pretty sure several of you will like my idea, if it moves you up for earlier delivery. But I'm good with that, too. Another chicken dinner for several of us! We all win! We all get a trophy!

It's late, I'm tired, and my medications are kicking in. At least mine are prescription....?

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Support now says:

True to form, when Rivian provides info it typically leads to more questions. The obvious one here for me is will there still be a delivery charge for this "primary experience" and what will it include? Until that's revealed I'm going to stick with my initial plan and take delivery at the factory. I'm only a couple hours away from the Normal plant, and as DuckTruck and others have expressed, I would prefer to turn it into more of an experience by possibly working in a road trip of sorts. Destinations: TBD

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Interesting timing of this topic.. :like:

Just last night I was planning what the return trip to Denver would look like. I do not currently own an EV and my reservation is for the 135 kWh. Would be an awesome experience to tour the factory.

Used the PlugShare app to map out the route for +120kW CCS chargers. Note there's several other chargers along most of this route, I was just looking at the most efficient trip with an overnight stop in Omaha. I believe most of these locations are EA chargers.

Hopefully there's at least a few worthwhile scenic adventures along the way... (recently moved here from the PNW, not too familiar with the Midwest yet)

Screenshot_20200812-154029.png
I'm in Denver too...was planning to do exactly the same if offered...
Sponsored