Sponsored

How interested are you in a factory/tour delivery option?

• Total voters

joelg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I grew up in Normal, IL and my parents still live there so I'd be super happy and proud to visit and pick up my Rivian from my hometown. The road trip back to California would also be a great breaking-in period. I've been wanting to do that drive forever, but using a gas-powered van or SUV to pull it off has always made me hesitate.
Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I live 220 miles away in Milwaukee. Totally into factory delivery, very excited to see what Rivian releases.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I am going stir crazy for a Rivian event to happen, like the ones that got cancelled. So yes, count me 100% in for a tour and whatever else they ask of us. I have a Cybertruck , Nikola, and a Kandi reservation as well, all EV, all for different reasons. But the rivian is my number one anticipated vehicle. It will be my daily driver replacing my Gladiator.
Here is a Kandi review

irpete

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
When I purchased my 2014 Corvette C7 they had an option( for about $800 I believe) to follow your vehicle along the assembly line. I did it and watched my car from bare frame to when if finally rolled off the assembly line. It was really cool and I was able to talk to the assembly workers as they were putting it together. The only down side was that you couldn't actually take delivery. I had to wait 2 more weeks for it to be delivered to the dealership for pickup.

If this is an option I would do it in a heartbeat. Especially if you could take delivery once it's complete.

E-lectric

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T El Cap w/ 22s , 24 BMW i5 M60
Clubs

I am 10 hours away, but would not hesitate to rent a car and head up there to take delivery! Would be some kind of experience.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

E-lectric

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T El Cap w/ 22s , 24 BMW i5 M60
Clubs

I would only do it for a discount since it would not be delivered to my home and also to get a delivery sooner.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I feel like I need to share a story about this.

My father and I rode motorcycles together, and would regularly go on longer trips. One of those trips had a path through Kentucky and we stopped off at the Corvette museum and factory in Bowling Green right after they opened the museum collapse exhibit. Though neither of us were Vette guys, we both really enjoyed the experience. Looking back, and more importantly, I'm glad I was able to share and enjoy the experience with him before he passed.

My youngest son is 8. He's interested in motorcycle riding and we just got done watching the Long Way Up. We put a deposit down on a Rivian in part because of it. When I mentioned the possibility of the two of us picking it up right at the factory, he was absolutely over the moon.

I hope they make it happen. It would make a little boy from Pittsburgh very, very happy. His dad too...

OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm probably not alone in that the time of year will have a definite impact.

My vision is picking it up in Normal and taking a couple of weeks to get home with a combination of camping and visiting relatives along the way. If delivery timing is in, say, June-September I'd be all over it.
January? Not so much. Crossing the Rockies in the winter is certainly doable, but not something I would necessarily consider a pleasure trip. I70 is rarely closed for too long. 90 & 80 are currently not an option due to (lack of) charging. Plus for us camping is a warm weather activity and would be half the point.

Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I wrote Rivian and asked questions about the weight limitations of the tailgate. My plan is to ride my Guzzi from Pgh to Normal and take delivery. I will secure the bike in the bed and drive home, although maybe not directly. Depending on the timing I might detour to Oskosh for the airshow or just up around Lake Superior and cross back at Niagara.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

JMR1T: if your idea of scenic is corn and soybeans as far as the eye can see, then yes :).
With what we now know about the air shock system, you may be able to raise your Rivian up high enough to see your own taillights up ahead while crossing Nebraska.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wrote Rivian and asked questions about the weight limitations of the tailgate. My plan is to ride my Guzzi from Pgh to Normal and take delivery. I will secure the bike in the bed and drive home, although maybe not directly. Depending on the timing I might detour to Oskosh for the airshow or just up around Lake Superior and cross back at Niagara.
That would be awesome. I'd love to ride my Goldwing for a pickup, but I think that's too much bike for the R1T to handle in the bed (at least by length, if not weight on the tailgate). I suppose I could rent a trailer to bring the bike home, however.

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
I did not find this thread when it was originally posted so I'm adding my story today.
I am hoping to use some of my accumulated Amtrak miles so that my wife and I can take the train from our home town and get off at the Normal station. From there It's a three mile walk to the Rivian factory which would only take about an hour so I could be there before 5 PM. If I can pick up the R1T that I have configured, it would be about a 320 mile drive back to my home which would probably only require a short stop on the return trip to add a few miles to the available battery range.
Sponsored