Sponsored

How interested are you in a factory/tour delivery option?

• Total voters

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I buy a new boat at a dealership in Blythe, CA, then towed it back to Arizona. The dealership in Blythe collected the Arizona state tax and sent it in to them. Rivian should be able to do the same thing, but if Illinois tried to charge me tax, I simply would not pick it up there.
It's not up to Rivian. They can only do what the states require and that depends on whether or not the 2 states in question have a reciprocity agreement.
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
What would be nice to know is the time to build The Rivian..

If it was a reasonably short time(One day), I could watch my Rivian being built would cool, maybe remotely for a majority of the time. And the finishing touches upon delivery.

since there are no dealerships, seeing the color options live at the factory would be nice before my Color selection is made, unless a roadshow of all the colors would be done.

I have seen the RJ Blue, silver, and white live thus fa, And I like the White R1S that I felt was stunning with the light interior.

before this question popped up I was happy to get it delivered to my house.

candidly though, I just want the vehicle yesterday....and it will be 2.5 years waiting for one, if I am one of the first 5,000 to order since my place in line was from Dec 2018.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
It's not up to Rivian. They can only do what the states require and that depends on whether or not the 2 states in question have a reciprocity agreement.
I understand it is not up to Rivian, it is just that I prefer not to pay tax to a state I do not live in. I would rather pay a delivery charge to get it in my home state.

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
Need to weigh the delivery cost, what the factory tour includes, and availability dates for my visit. I think my R1T will not be ready for delivery until the Summer of 2022. And I am still waiting to see an R1T in person, along with available options.

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
I am going stir crazy for a Rivian event to happen, like the ones that got cancelled. So yes, count me 100% in for a tour and whatever else they ask of us. I have a Cybertruck , Nikola, and a Kandi reservation as well, all EV, all for different reasons. But the rivian is my number one anticipated vehicle. It will be my daily driver replacing my Gladiator.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Everything is virtual these days...Rivian could have a streaming or even interactive virtual event.

It would be nice to have something...

MTrivianR1T

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tacoma, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2016 Highlander
Occupation
Self employed
Long story short, Rivian is reaching out to reservation holders (somewhat randomly) to get their stories and why they chose Rivian.

During our conversation, the subject of a Factory delivery option came up, and Rivian is seriously considering doing this.

They would likely include a factory tour as part of the package. I suggested a reduced/eliminated destination charge with free charging for the trip home. They want feedback from others.

A little of the hesitation is due to the doubt that people will want to fly to the middle of the US with nothing much around.

MTrivianR1T

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tacoma, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2016 Highlander
Occupation
Self employed
"With nothing much around," says the thread starter? Aside from Chicago, Ann Arbor, Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities and other places in the greater Mid-West region I apologize for not mentioning.

Like azbill, I might prefer a Laguna Beach pickup, except I'd miss the factory tour, my Mid-Western relatives, and the great national parks, historical and archeological places of interest along the way home. So I'm all in for a factory tour and new vehicle pickup in Normal, especially if there could be some personalization/customization possibilities at the time my truck was rolling off the line.

Such as, me driving my truck off the line and into the great outdoors? Or, have a metal stamping (or laser etching) machine that prints my truck's production number, my name and the date, and fixing that to my truck? Photo opportunities? Free charging at Rivian Adventure Network chargers on the way home?
I like this idea of factory tour and taking delivery afterwards. I live in NW Montana and have family/friends in the Midwest so could make this work, especially with some of the incentives mentioned. But NOT in winter. Crossing the northern Great Plains in winter is not fun.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
I love driving in the snow. A winter delivery would be the best drive hime for me, and besides, it has 4 motors! And how awesome it would be to do some tank turns in the parking lot on the way out, lol!

Sponsored

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
When I picked up my 2014 Model S, I did so at the Tesla factory in Fremont, as it's only a couple of hours from my house. My son was 7 years old and I took him out of school that day to take the tour. It was a really cool experience and I'm glad I did it. I would definitely recommend that kind of thing to long term reservation holders who obviously have waited a while and have relatively deep interest in the brand.

That said, once was enough. When I bought my Model X in 2016, I didn't bother doing the same thing again. And when I replace the X later this year, I will be doing a local delivery again. It's just easier.

Normal is a haul from the West Coast, so I find it unlikely I'd go, though I think it would be interesting to compare my experience there to my experience 6-7 years ago at Tesla.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Great discussion...I can rent a car in the SF Bay Area to get to Normal, but I do like the train ride idea. If Covid is still around, the rental car route would be preferred.

I think the natives are getting restless.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The train ride from Oakland is pretty damn long, 51 hours, and that's to Chicago. Cheap, $141, but long. Then the waiting time and travel time to get to Normal. So, at least 55 hours. Rather than arrive frazzled and sleep deprived, flying is beginning to sound better even if it doesn't really allow one to appreciate the country you're flying over.

Maybe if there's enough of us from the same area and we're picking up around the same time, we can caravan. That might be fun. We can easily share what we're learning about our Rivians and the country along the way.

I'm still not sure which model I'll go for, though I'm leaning the R1S way, and I'm relatively early in the preorder queue, #14XX. So next Summer is the chosen time.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rather than arrive frazzled and sleep deprived, flying is beginning to sound better even if it doesn't really allow one to appreciate the country you're flying over.
Those of us trying to keep the airline industry alive would greatly appreciate your business, regardless of the motivation. :like:
Sponsored