Sponsored

What wheel/tire option do you currently have configured

• Total voters

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Well, I just changed mine back to the standard R1T 20" ATs. Not sure if I'm already too late for them to account for that in contacting order, but I figure I can always switch back when they reach out to me if the delay won't be that much longer. If they tell me it'll delay me by 6 months, then I'll stick with the standards. They won't look as good as the R1S 20" no matter what, imo, but I can still get them powder coated myself.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Caymanwent

Caymanwent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Well, I just changed mine back to the standard R1T 20" ATs. Not sure if I'm already too late for them to account for that in contacting order, but I figure I can always switch back when they reach out to me if the delay won't be that much longer. If they tell me it'll delay me by 6 months, then I'll stick with the standards. They won't look as good as the R1S 20" no matter what, imo, but I can still get them powder coated myself.
Same.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Having never owned a truck and living in the SoCal suburbs I doubt I need the ATs. I’ll hit Big Bear/Mammoth/etc from time to time in the winter, and some light off roading other times of the year, but my gut tells me it’s not worth going AT with that level of infrequent snow or trail driving. 22’s feel like a better choice for my city life. Thoughts or feedback? For those that have had ATs on mostly city driving how is it?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Having never owned a truck and living in the SoCal suburbs I doubt I need the ATs. I’ll hit Big Bear/Mammoth/etc from time to time in the winter, and some light off roading other times of the year, but my gut tells me it’s not worth going AT with that level of infrequent snow or trail driving. 22’s feel like a better choice for my city life. Thoughts or feedback? For those that have had ATs on mostly city driving how is it?
You'll be fine. 21s would probably be better overall for you as a happy medium, but it doesn't sound like you're doing anything that your typical CUV wouldn't handle.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I'm in a very similar situation as you. Mostly city driving, the occasional trip to a hiking trail or national park. I've been going back and forth between the 20's and 22's and what helped me make my decision was to ask the question, do I want to maintain status quo for my use cases? If the answer is yes, then 22's are gonna be more than sufficient. On the other hand, if I want to have the option to try off-roading /overlanding out in a vehicle that is clearly built for the job, then the 20" ATs seem like a better choice. I'm leaning towards the latter for now. The one thing that could sway me back is if the range estimates come back significantly worse on the 20's.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
For anyone on the fence about ATs, there are plenty of suitable tire replacement options in the OEM 20" size if you want to change.

My R1S will see mostly street duty, so I'm going to give the AT a try, and possibly switch to an AS later.

Last edited:

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
For anyone on the fence about ATs, there are plenty of suitable tire replacement options in the OEM size if you want to change.

My R1S will see mostly street duty, so I'm going to give the AT a try, and possibly switch to an AS later.
Same. I like the look better for one thing, and the mileage rating on modern ATs is more than sufficient. I expect the vehicle to have solid noise damping ability, so the usual grumble of AT tires is likely to not be a factor, and Pirelli says that was a design factor anyway. The one concern is the mileage on long trips. If it sucks, I'll buy another set of wheels and put some street fighter rubber on them.

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
I have the stock wheels since I am not LE and paying more for wheels is more than the special tires. I also saw that the frozen lake video was done on the stock size and RJ said that they would be the best for most people and give the best range.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
For anyone on the fence about ATs, there are plenty of suitable tire replacement options in the OEM 20" size if you want to change.

Curious if mostly street why not the 22s? I thought the 22s would handle canyon roads better and are the ones with the best acceleration. Was hard to pass up that free upgrade.

Have 20s on my Jeep GC, they handle fine and are pretty efficient but...

I configured the 22s, 80% sure I am not changing but was waffling a bit lately (in my head).

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Curious if mostly street why not the 22s? I thought the 22s would handle canyon roads better and are the ones with the best acceleration. Was hard to pass up that free upgrade.

Have 20s on my Jeep GC, they handle fine and are pretty efficient but...

I configured the 22s, 80% sure I am not changing but was waffling a bit lately (in my head).
Because I think the 20s will handle just fine...the performance testing video was on 20s, and I probably will not come anywhere near pushing the limits in corners. Plus, I like the look of more sidewall, and it is needed to air down if you do go off road.

Personally, I'm not a fan of summer/performance tires on a daily driver either. They're great for launches & handling, but the soft compound wears out too fast & these will be heavy vehicles. Maybe the custom Pirellis have taken this into account & the compound won't be quite so soft, but I'd love to know the mileage rating on the 22s.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
So I went ahead and changed to the 20's for a few of the reasons posted here and one that wasn't. When it comes down to it I like having the optionality *if* we decide we want to push it offroad. The look is great, and like others have said, I won't come close to pushing it when it comes to cornering/high-speed driving.

The kicker was recalling how I just had a blowout on the freeway on our XC90 the other day. 21" wheels that are an odd size and not regularly in stock most places, but I was lucky to be one exit up the freeway from my dealer. True or not, just the thought of having a more durable tire that could be relatively less prone to a blowout tipped in the favor of the AT. Spoke to a few friends w/ Jeeps/etc and they all said you get used to the increase road noise, and to a person each would opt for the AT.

But...I'm not spending $3500 to make the wheels black...sorry Rivian.

Last edited:

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I live in the Bay Area with virtually no off-road driving (at least for now). I ordered the 22" at first but had giving some good thoughts and changed to 20" R1S AT. I think it looks so much better with the AT tires.

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
21” road Included with configuration.
Ill buy different wheel/tire combo for winter snow.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

R1S - Midnight Black with Black 22s"

Rivian R1T R1S Poll of currently configured wheel options R1S Midnight Black
Sponsored