Sponsored

POLL: How many of us have actually driven/seen a Rivian in person?

What is your experience with an actual Rivian model?

• Total voters

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

I hope you get your R1T in March/April. I live in the Treasure Valley and will keep an eye out for you.

What color?
Launch green; BM interior. I'm hoping to have it in time for a trip to Moscow in April. I'll likely be in the Boise area early summer.
Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I'm going to try to take some pictures, but I'll likely need to ensure I'm not violating any terms for my friend. I'll ask him first. Because the R1S is so "rare", there might be additional restrictions on those. Funny how I see 1-2 R1Ts every day but have never seen an R1S outside of a few photos. If I post a bunch, it is guaranteed they know which car it is and who had it

I do, thanks! Sadly with a new baby, work, and other life priorities there isn't much opportunity for joy rides. 4.5 years old and only ~7200 miles. :( Too bad I'm not supposed to put a baby seat in the back lols.
Too bad you are way out of my way, otherwise I would've came down to see the R1S, I wanted to see how can I fit 4 child seats in it :)

As for the GT3, my friend actually got a base 911 so he put a child seat in it lol If you haven't figured that out yet, he's a 911 nutjob... but works for me because I get to to drive them!

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Too bad you are way out of my way, otherwise I would've came down to see the R1S, I wanted to see how can I fit 4 child seats in it :)

As for the GT3, my friend actually got a base 911 so he put a child seat in it lol If you haven't figured that out yet, he's a 911 nutjob... but works for me because I get to to drive them!
Yeah, you're a bit far lols.

From what I know (from all my Google-fu and seeing an R1T multiple times in person inside and out), you'll have absolutely no problem fitting 4 child seats in. A caveat is will any of the 3rd row child seats be rear facing? They take up a ton of room. The "convertible" seats are even larger. I had a Nuna rear facing seat in the back of my X5 and it hardly fit (front passenger knees were touching the dash). Rear facing seats are no joke.

Forward facing, you're golden.

Fortunately rear facing seats aren't forever. There are differing opinions on when you can change your child's seat from rear to forward facing. Some seats are based on height/weight. Some "laws" are based on age. I moved mine to forward facing less than 2 years old and got a new seat that's pretty safe so I'm fine with it. I intend on putting this seat in the 3rd row of the Rivian.

Fortunately I can probably put my son in the passenger seat of the GT3 now but I haven't had the opportunity yet. Moving those big forward facing seats around all the time isn't very fun. Maybe soon.

FortyTwo

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Scion tC
Clubs

I got to see several R1Ts at the First Mile event at the factory back in October. I was very impressed with it. It felt like a finished product, not a prototype. I did not get to drive one, but I did ride in the back seat while an employee took us up and down Mt. Rivian.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I saw one pulling out of a driveway when visiting CA in December. It was much lower to the ground than I expected it to get.

I also briefly caught a glimpse of one going the opposite direction on the freeway in middle-of-nowhere Utah.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Yeah, you're a bit far lols.

From what I know (from all my Google-fu and seeing an R1T multiple times in person inside and out), you'll have absolutely no problem fitting 4 child seats in. A caveat is will any of the 3rd row child seats be rear facing? They take up a ton of room. The "convertible" seats are even larger. I had a Nuna rear facing seat in the back of my X5 and it hardly fit (front passenger knees were touching the dash). Rear facing seats are no joke.

Forward facing, you're golden.

Fortunately rear facing seats aren't forever. There are differing opinions on when you can change your child's seat from rear to forward facing. Some seats are based on height/weight. Some "laws" are based on age. I moved mine to forward facing less than 2 years old and got a new seat that's pretty safe so I'm fine with it. I intend on putting this seat in the 3rd row of the Rivian.

Fortunately I can probably put my son in the passenger seat of the GT3 now but I haven't had the opportunity yet. Moving those big forward facing seats around all the time isn't very fun. Maybe soon.
I have seen and driven the R1T and the back was spacious, but I am not worried about the space, I am more worried about the ease of getting in and out of the 3rd row. The issue is that with 2 seats in the second row tethered to the seatbelt, it's not practical to pop them in and out everytime. Especially that the seatbelt is on the pillar and not embedded in the seat. It's like playing tetris...

Luckily none are rear facing, I have the Diono re-enforced slim seats that do not take up space ( I could fit 3 across in most sedans!) but they are so heavy, and I will be moving one of my kids to a booster which will make life easier; especially that they can buckle themselves :)
Sponsored