Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think they should have made the icon buttons bigger.
Sponsored

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
So you're telling me you'd rather mirror your android phone screen to avoid a one time sign in/syncing of your google account to the native android system in your vehicle???

I think that settles the debate that AA/CP philes will never accept a native system, even if it's a better version made by the same company.....Google is sitting there shaking their heads, saying, they do realize that AA was only a temporary hack solution until we could build and sell/implement Android Automotive, right? No vehicle with Android Automotive in the future will have AA functionality, that's the literal definition of unnecessary redundancy.

This also debunks all the arguments before that offering AA/CP doesn't mean a maker can't continue building their own system. Why would they do that, when you won't even use the native version of Android Automotive??

My wife has a 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 (BEV) with AAOS. I can tell you from experience that it is only good at doing a couple of things well relative to AA, like integrating charging stations on en route and estimating your charge on arrival. Everything else is either non-existent or subpar relative to AA.

The play store is extremely limited on AAOS and the apps don't work the same way as they do on AA or your phone.

Even apps with accounts sync differently (assuming they sync which is not always the case even when you are connected to good wifi at home) and don't have all the features. As an example, Prime Music app on AAOS does not sync your playlists at all. Waze is not offered as mentioned before.

While the XC40 is a great BEV to drive and is very comfortable, the AAOS spoils the experience significantly. I am not sure if the phone app is linked to the AAOS issues, but the phone app only gives you 3 things, lock/unlock doors, charge percentage, and climatize command. My 2015 BMW i3 app offered a lot more settings and info.

In short, I would take Android Auto any day over AAOS.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
There's no Waze in the play store for AAOS, for example. AA would let people use Waze.
That's focused on the present. I'm talking in general, when everything on AA is on AAOS as it's intended to be. Google would look like utter fools if people with AAOS were using AA long term.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
My wife has a 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 (BEV) with AAOS. I can tell you from experience that it is only good at doing a couple of things well relative to AA, like integrating charging stations on en route and estimating your charge on arrival. Everything else is either non-existent or subpar relative to AA.

The play store is extremely limited on AAOS and the apps don't work the same way as they do on AA or your phone.

Even apps with accounts sync differently (assuming they sync which is not always the case even when you are connected to good wifi at home) and don't have all the features. As an example, Prime Music app on AAOS does not sync your playlists at all. Waze is not offered as mentioned before.

While the XC40 is a great BEV to drive and is very comfortable, the AAOS spoils the experience significantly. I am not sure if the phone app is linked to the AAOS issues, but the phone app only gives you 3 things, lock/unlock doors, charge percentage, and climatize command. My 2015 BMW i3 app offered a lot more settings and info.

In short, I would take Android Auto any day over AAOS.
I'm not talking about literally right now as things stand with the state of each system. I'm talking philosophically, or in the future when AAOS does have everything AA does (because that's the point of it). AAOS is just as immature as Rivian's system, because it's still early days, but it's still a fundamentally better way to deliver a UX than a phone mirroring punting.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
One assumes that when Amazon offered to buy a gajillion vans and singlehandedly vouched for the Rivian brand pre-IPO they asked for a few things. Or perhaps Rivian offered/promised a few things as part of not being total jerks.

Whatever the circumstance, there are three reasons Rivian might not have CarPlay:

1, The code is a PITA and they just haven't gotten to it yet.

2, They plan to make their own Apps and App Store and don't want to be beholden to Apple.

3, They plan to sell the space to whomever will offer the most and Alexa/Amazon Music and Spotify won the bid for the time being.

It's 2 or 3, probably 3 for the time being.
It's definitely not 1, as RJ responded to a forum member and unequivocally shot down the notion of Carplay ever coming to Rivian. I don't think it's 3 either.

I personally don't think there is any intention to have an App store, otherwise they would just leverage Apple and Google and let people run wild. 3rd party developers are also not going to expend resources on apps for a Rivian system that has a limited user pool for quite some time to come. Part of the reason to not have those things is to have a cohesive experience for everyone. I know some people think the only way it should be is to allow each owner to choose what apps they use, but that's not the way Rivian/Tesla see things. They want to create the experience they think is best, and if people don't like it they either make it better or those people buy something else.

In the other world, some users would use Waze for commuting, Gaia for offroading (or something else) and maybe Google for searching for restaurants or whatever. That's a cluttered and poor user experience. I believe Rivian wants all those things in one map - their map. For example, Garmin uses OpenStreetMap, so no reason Rivian can't replicate many of the things Garmin devices have within their own map. They can even charge for an "offroad maps/software" package (or just have it be part of the Membership) and people will pay because it's better than sticking separate devices to the windshield and those cost money too.

Sponsored

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Google is sitting there shaking their heads, saying, they do realize that AA was only a temporary hack solution until we could build and sell/implement Android Automotive, right? No vehicle with Android Automotive in the future will have AA functionality, that's the literal definition of unnecessary redundancy.

This also debunks all the arguments before that offering AA/CP doesn't mean a maker can't continue building their own system. Why would they do that, when you won't even use the native version of Android Automotive??
Hilarious that you think Google actually has a holistic strategy. The only product Google actually has a strategy for is Search and Ads.

I'm fairly certain implementing AA/Carplay is somewhat straight forward. All these infotainment systems are based on Blackberry QNX and they provide AA/CP services as part of the package. The OEM can choose how to implement it (or not) but it's not like Polestar completely developed it on their own. It is strange to me that they shipped CP and not AA.
That's because there is only one vehicle from an obscure brand most people have never heard of using it right now. However, several automakers are signed up to implement in mass over the next couple years. It will be a transition, but there is no reason to believe that every app available and used in AA won't be available in the AAOS app store. AAOS was built to replace AA.
GM is shipping AAOS now and it works just fine with AA.
I think they should have made the icon buttons bigger.
This is one argument I do see against AA/CP... how do they scale to the various displays? It looks a bit silly on the RAM 12" screen as well.
Rivian R1T R1S Polestar (Android Automotive OS) adds Apple Carplay 1655932617838

I like how GM implemented it on their new 2022s with Android Automotive OS. You get a split screen with Carplay scaling pretty well then a side panel with the native OS features. I would love for Rivian to go this route.
Rivian R1T R1S Polestar (Android Automotive OS) adds Apple Carplay 1655932748588

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The wireless AA experience was garbage on the Hummer EV with AAOS. It worked, but if you're a Google maps user, you lose functionality and gain nothing. The couple of apps I use regularly when I am actively driving are on both AA and AAOS, so there really wasn't much of a point to having AA. I imagine carplay would feel about the same.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
…can we hack the hell out of this rig and make overlanders?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
So you're telling me you'd rather mirror your android phone screen to avoid a one time sign in/syncing of your google account to the native android system in your vehicle???

I think that settles the debate that AA/CP philes will never accept a native system, even if it's a better version made by the same company.....Google is sitting there shaking their heads, saying, they do realize that AA was only a temporary hack solution until we could build and sell/implement Android Automotive, right? No vehicle with Android Automotive in the future will have AA functionality, that's the literal definition of unnecessary redundancy.

Yes. I would. I don't have to synchronize data between multiple devices. I don't have to setup multiple cars with my preferences. My phone is always on me. It has the apps, accounts, and data in one place. It moves with me from car to car.

"even if it's a better version" -- show me this better version. We keep getting fed this line, and yet we're not being shown the "better" solution.

This doesn't debunk anything. If you're so confident a better solution can be developed natively then by all means manufacturers can continue to pursue it, but boxing out CarPlay and Android Auto means they're afraid to compete (because they can't).

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Amazon Music is supported through Alexa integration. Just fyi.
Yes, though it's clearly not a "first-class" support like Spotify. If Amazon was pulling the infotainment strings you'd better believe they would be making a fuss about a direct competitor being the primary streaming music service.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, though it's clearly not a "first-class" support like Spotify. If Amazon was pulling the infotainment strings you'd better believe they would be making a fuss about a direct competitor being the primary streaming music service.
Native app support for Amazon Music is preferred, no doubt.

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
I'm not talking about literally right now as things stand with the state of each system. I'm talking philosophically, or in the future when AAOS does have everything AA does (because that's the point of it). AAOS is just as immature as Rivian's system, because it's still early days, but it's still a fundamentally better way to deliver a UX than a phone mirroring punting.

Well, one can only hope that AAOS improves and challenges the competition to pick up their game too.

So far, AAOS doesn't seem to be a priority though as we have had 2 updates since we got the car in March and they have all been about bug fixes and not features.

It's really more an annoyance than a major issue. We are very happy with the car as a whole. It really is comfortable and sporty at the same time. The handling is closer to a BMW than a Volvo :like:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

…can we hack the hell out of this rig and make overlanders?
Put some portal axles on it and you'd be good to go.
Sponsored