Sponsored

Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these?

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
I'm in Seattle and David from S00nish and I have been talking about it. I have a temp fix for it, but she ain't purdy.

Basically, per David's idea, I stuffed 3 furniture pads (the ones you put under seat or table legs) between the hood ridge and the bracket. This stopped 90% of the vibrations, so we are on the right track there.

@Sojhinn can chime in as well, as well as plug the s00nish parts ;)

8216F2B7-8603-4DBE-8037-D4F3BEFD69BB.jpeg

While thatā€™s what we ended up doing. Thatā€™s not the location we did it in. We went a different route for where to dampen the vibrations.

Also for the final product. This piece will be a piece of rubber.

The reason it's vibrating is due to the amount of bridging that is needed to get the lights in position, and the fact the Rivian hood vibrates a crap ton. Even going with a higher gauge of metal would increase the frequency of the vibration, though it would minimize the amplitude.

See picture how we fixed it.

Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? image
Sponsored

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
I don't have any lights installed yet. I have brackets from s00nish on pre-order. Not too happy to know there is vibration from the brackets. That's a non-starter for me. Maybe we need to use some smaller/lighter lights to mitigate the issue?
I can send you a video to show you how much ours vibrate. It's down to very minimal.

Wrinks

Site Sponsor
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Polestar 2
Occupation
Button Pusher
'sup @Leonbmx! Was good to hang out - hope your trip was awesome! I *will* make that pilgrimage to the motherland someday... =)

As @Sojhinn mentioned, and honestly triggered on my end by your suggestion that felt ISN'T the greatest long-term solution - we ended up sourcing some silicone dampening pads. Also made some additional tweaks to the design of the bracket itself that should help get it even sturdier so that any vibrations you're seeing are the vibrations of the hood itself.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I did too notice this, which I never had on the brackets for my Grand Cherokee. Definitely annoying to see them vibrate, although they vibrate less at highway speeds. I thought about reaching out to DCE but got lazy and forgot. Maybe if we both send them emails, that'll help for a redesign and shipping us an updated product. I actually considered just forking out for the other brackets (if they were available as a standalone product yet) to compare... but I don't think they are.
Ha! I had that same thought, as I also had Ditch lights on my Grand Cherokee and they did not move at all.

I actually called DCE yesterday and they said they "had not noticed that, and it was normal for them to move a little". I can't imagine driving at a decent pace on a forest road with them, you'd get the "free strobe option" ;)

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Ha! I had that same thought, as I also had Ditch lights on my Grand Cherokee and they did not move at all.

I actually called DCE yesterday and they said they "had not noticed that, and it was normal for them to move a little". I can't imagine driving at a decent pace on a forest road with them, you'd get the "free strobe option" ;)
Oh, I'll get my email going then and let them know. Then they'll know you're not alone!

Sponsored

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
While thatā€™s what we ended up doing. Thatā€™s not the location we did it in. We went a different route for where to dampen the vibrations.

Also for the final product. This piece will be a piece of rubber.

The reason it's vibrating is due to the amount of bridging that is needed to get the lights in position, and the fact the Rivian hood vibrates a crap ton. Even going with a higher gauge of metal would increase the frequency of the vibration, though it would minimize the amplitude.

See picture how we fixed it.

image.jpg
I'm a bit confused as to what I'm looking at here. What's the material you used and how did you place it on the bracket?

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
I'm a bit confused as to what I'm looking at here. What's the material you used and how did you place it on the bracket?
See the black thing on top of the silver bracket? Itā€™s against the hood bracket dampening the vibration.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I ended up buying the Garmin Powerswitch. It seemed like a more reputable/ Higher quality version of the Trigger system mentioned earlier.

So one thing that is worrying me a little is whether or not these kind of wireless systems will drain the 12V battery when the truck is not is use? They both operate on bluetooth, so it feels like they would be "always on" ?

Both systems accept trigger inputs, however, rivian was nice enough to put the fusebox in the cabin, so the whole "no wiring into the cab" bit falls apart with that. So, if I can avoid that, that would be swell.
Thanks for bringing this up, had no idea they make these. We get a good discount at work so will check it out.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I can send you a video to show you how much ours vibrate. It's down to very minimal.
No need, I trust you guys have figured out a solution. Great to hear! Looking forward to receiving the brackets once they're ready to go.

avigneault

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I haven't seen this discussed in other threads yet: any thoughts from the community on how to get power to the roof in a non-destructive fashion? Right now I'm thinking of running conduit or raceway up the passenger side of the windshield, against the a-pillar. But maybe there are some other traditional overlander solutions I'm not aware of.

Sponsored

Beanejar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - CY/OC
I installed the Garmin Powerswitch today.
It is a tight fit for sure, my hands are covered in small cuts and scrapes, haha!

here are some pics:
2E8547A0-B7B0-4AD3-B2AB-AA1F4540F494.jpeg

709AA21E-259A-47A1-8F1D-FAD2DD1B0B75.jpeg
89610925-C40D-4D11-A480-F4353011C39B.jpeg

A288D672-4C4C-4647-8A3F-BE05235605F2.jpeg
9383635C-F09F-4051-83F3-596EE26256FA.jpeg
Thanks for the pictā€™s - very helpful.

Looking to install my emergency lights and sirens on our new S. I use a pigtail in the B-pillar in my Discovery so that I donā€™t have to have my top lights on all the timeā€¦hoping to find a way to do that in the Rivian. I have smaller lights in the grill and a siren box to power as wellā€¦just need to figure out where to put the sirenā€¦

Iā€™m wondering what you attached the trigger switch wires toā€¦seemingly would need something lest it add to vampire drain off the 12v.

Have you noticed any interference with the multiple Rivian bluetooth signals out there?

Iā€™m using a professional installer, but they usually do the normal police and fire equipmentā€¦ not a lot of Rivians. My orange discover sport was such a hit for them, they changed their marketing color to orangeā€¦wondering if theyā€™ll change to yellow now. šŸ˜Ž

Thanks for the info!

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for the pictā€™s - very helpful.

Looking to install my emergency lights and sirens on our new S. I use a pigtail in the B-pillar in my Discovery so that I donā€™t have to have my top lights on all the timeā€¦hoping to find a way to do that in the Rivian. I have smaller lights in the grill and a siren box to power as wellā€¦just need to figure out where to put the sirenā€¦

Iā€™m wondering what you attached the trigger switch wires toā€¦seemingly would need something lest it add to vampire drain off the 12v.

Have you noticed any interference with the multiple Rivian bluetooth signals out there?

Iā€™m using a professional installer, but they usually do the normal police and fire equipmentā€¦ not a lot of Rivians. My orange discover sport was such a hit for them, they changed their marketing color to orangeā€¦wondering if theyā€™ll change to yellow now. šŸ˜Ž

Thanks for the info!
that looks like an interesting setup!

the Powerswitch has inputs for 2 triggers, and ways to program them, but I have not used that option just yet, so Iā€™ll be of little help in that department.

Beanejar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - CY/OC
that looks like an interesting setup!

the Powerswitch has inputs for 2 triggers, and ways to program them, but I have not used that option just yet, so Iā€™ll be of little help in that department.
Thanks for the reply - youā€™ve not noticed much 12v drain, then? šŸ¤ž

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I installed the Garmin Powerswitch today.
It is a tight fit for sure, my hands are covered in small cuts and scrapes, haha!

here are some pics:
2E8547A0-B7B0-4AD3-B2AB-AA1F4540F494.jpeg

709AA21E-259A-47A1-8F1D-FAD2DD1B0B75.jpeg
89610925-C40D-4D11-A480-F4353011C39B.jpeg

A288D672-4C4C-4647-8A3F-BE05235605F2.jpeg
9383635C-F09F-4051-83F3-596EE26256FA.jpeg
Sorry to bring this thread back. I just ordered the Garmin Powerswitch and should be able to wire it up this weekend. Would you happen to have a picture of the battery connection? Which battery did you choose and which nut did you remove to attach your + lead?

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Sorry to bring this thread back. I just ordered the Garmin Powerswitch and should be able to wire it up this weekend. Would you happen to have a picture of the battery connection? Which battery did you choose and which nut did you remove to attach your + lead?
I used the passenger side battery and I tied into the 150A lead.

I ran the ground wire to a nut on the driver side strut.
Sponsored