First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Loved this thread, thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to a nice long road trip in the truck whenever it shows up!
Agreed. My favorite thread yet. Minus the snafus. Hopefully they get that DCFC charging glitched fixed asap.
Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
On a early summer road trip. Just me and the dog and my beautiful blue R1T.

Day 1:
Started in Sandy at 100% SOC
First charging stop EA station in Hermiston OR Space Age station. White R1T in a stall charging when I arrived.. hello friends
350kW station, max 215kW observed
Charged 39% to 77% SOC 24 min 22 sec 56 kWh delivered
Second charging stop EA station in T and T Country Store in Huntington OR. Had to be the oddest charging station I have been too. One ancient gas pump and 4 EA stalls.
Used a 350 kW stall, max 203kW observed (R1T showed station limited for part of the charge)
Charged 14% to 67% SOC 32 min 43 sec 79 kWh delivered
Arrived in Boise around 36% SOC

Used Driver+ most of the way, 98% driving in Conserve. 2.12 mi/kWh average.

One oddity of the day. R1T thought the speed limit on a portion of I84 in eastern OR was 43 mph???

Will update as I travel… not sure where to yet, will decide tomorrow ;)

8F9E456A-0BE8-469C-B025-9B7C76FC895F.jpeg

267D57B6-0026-4806-85E2-4D354B496503.jpeg
For the longest time, after the town shut down due to changing employment, Huntington was a fuel desert (EV or gas) and that was the last "big" stretch of 90 miles with no fuel from Baker City to Ontario of interstate. Someone put a fancy new truck stop there some years back, although the no services signs are still posted. Surprised it had EV charging.

In my Fuel truck, I drive seattle<>Boise all the time. I stop at the space age (Cheap gas) and on to Boise, typically non-stop. Leave 5pm from work and home by midnight or so. 350 mile range on the gas truck. I'm waiting for the max pack so I can (hopefully) do this run with one dinner stop.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Also one more thought, if you're willing to purchase a bed you might try to find hotels with free L2 destination charging. It's nice starting with 100%.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Day 6 Update: It was a doozy…

Traveled from Flagstaff to just outside of Bakersfield CA.

Charge 1: La Quinta Williams AZ, EA 350kW
Charged 29-59%, 48kWh delivered, 16 min, Max 218kW
Charge 2: Kroger Kingman, AZ, EA 350kW
Charged 28-80%, 76kWh delivered, 37 min, Max 217kW
Incident 1: Took a rock or something and I have a chip in my roof!!!! :(. - I think It can at least be repaired so it doesn’t spread but we will see.
Charge 3: Walmart Barstow CA, EA 350kW
Incident 2: Unable to DC fast charge (A whole thread on that)
Charged up to 8% at a CP at 28kW (I was down to 3 miles of range)
Finally charged 8-70%, 90kWh delivered, 39min, Max 203kW

Note: I have been getting over 200kW at a lot of EA stations on this trip. I wonder if EA updated something?

Incident 3: My R1T wanted me to stop and charge at an EA station in Mojave, thing is it is not in service, there was a giant crane in front of them, it looked like one might be active but it was inaccessible. This station isn’t even on the EA app so Rivian should remove it. Due to a strong headwind I was getting below 1 mi/kWh for the stretch around Mojave. Thankfully there was a long downhill stretch coming into Bakersfield and I arrived comfortably at 20%

Charge 4: Bakersfield Plaza, EA 350kW
Charged 20% to 52%, 51kWh delivered, 20 min, Max 209kW

10D91325-5FA2-4632-BB3E-B491EC664CFB.jpeg

6237C49E-591B-4826-B2BB-434453BFB879.jpeg
Bummer to hear about your rooftop glass. I noticed you don't have any Cargo Bars on the roof, so was that just a glancing blow that caused the damage? I don't know if it would have made any difference, but that is why I had Exoshield put on the windshield and the top glass.

Their advertising says it provides up to 6× the damage resistance to small rocks, but any additional protection, on top of the extra UV resistance, seemed worth it to me, especially if on a long trip. I'm sure glad it didn't sidetrack your journey!

If you were to get it, you'll notice some early distortion through the windshield, but I'm told it will mitigate some as it sits in the Sun. I've told friends the waviness is simply the Doppler shift that comes with the R1T's acceleration. So far, only three people have fallen for that line. That said, two of the three also fell for it when I asked "Did you know the word 'Gullible' isn't listed in the dictionary?" 🤔

Oh well, PT Barnum may have been right.... 😊

I'm sure looking forward to hearing more about your trip in person, either this Friday, or one day soon.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In my Fuel truck, I drive seattle<>Boise all the time. I stop at the space age (Cheap gas) and on to Boise, typically non-stop. Leave 5pm from work and home by midnight or so. 350 mile range on the gas truck. I'm waiting for the max pack so I can (hopefully) do this run with one dinner stop.
Well now you have me curious since I live in Seattle and am originally from Idaho. What do you do for work that has you splitting time?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Bummer to hear about your rooftop glass. I noticed you don't have any Cargo Bars on the roof, so was that just a glancing blow that caused the damage? I don't know if it would have made any difference, but that is why I had Exoshield put on the windshield and the top glass.

Their advertising says it provides up to 6× the damage resistance to small rocks, but any additional protection, on top of the extra UV resistance, seemed worth it to me, especially if on a long trip. I'm sure glad it didn't sidetrack your journey!

If you were to get it, you'll notice some early distortion through the windshield, but I'm told it will mitigate some as it sits in the Sun. I've told friends the waviness is simply the Doppler shift that comes with the R1T's acceleration. So far, only three people have fallen for that line. That said, two of the three also fell for it when I asked "Did you know the word 'Gullible' isn't listed in the dictionary?" 🤔

Oh well, PT Barnum may have been right.... 😊

I'm sure looking forward to hearing more about your trip in person, either this Friday, or one day soon.
Not sure what it was that hit my glass, wasn’t even on the highway. Good news is that Mt Hood glass did a repair on it for $55 and you can barely notice it.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Not sure what it was that hit my glass, wasn’t even on the highway. Good news is that Mt Hood glass did a repair on it for $55 and you can barely notice it.
That's outstanding news!

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
This is a phenomenal write up, so thank you for sharing. And, thank you for sharing screen shots with efficiency data.

I was wondering what the temps were in parts of the road trip and how they affected your efficiency. Some of the efficiency numbers are a little rough, so was wondering if temps were in the 40's or 50's on a fair portion of the drive outside of the northern Arizona and California desert section?

I have done a good portion of the the drive you did a few times, but in other EV's, so always nice to compare efficiency figures.

From your road trip details, and the info shared on the Rivian's high Vampire drain, it appears that road trip best practices would dictate that you do not venture too far from the Electrify America network and that you overnight at a hotel with a destination charger available - or at least have access to a 50kW charger like the free one in Moab. In its currently state, the Rivian battery sucks up a lot of juice, and takes awhile to fill up, even at an EA high speed charger.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

This is a phenomenal write up, so thank you for sharing. And, thank you for sharing screen shots with efficiency data.

I was wondering what the temps were in parts of the road trip and how they affected your efficiency. Some of the efficiency numbers are a little rough, so was wondering if temps were in the 40's or 50's on a fair portion of the drive outside of the northern Arizona and California desert section?

I have done a good portion of the the drive you did a few times, but in other EV's, so always nice to compare efficiency figures.

From your road trip details, and the info shared on the Rivian's high Vampire drain, it appears that road trip best practices would dictate that you do not venture too far from the Electrify America network and that you overnight at a hotel with a destination charger available - or at least have access to a 50kW charger like the free one in Moab. In its currently state, the Rivian battery sucks up a lot of juice, and takes awhile to fill up, even at an EA high speed charger.
Probably the last day was a little colder as I drove through a PNW spring storm once I came out of California. Otherwise the temps in SLC and Utah were very nice, even day 1 on the way to Boise was quite nice. I don't think temps had a large impact on any of my efficiencies. Maybe the last day but that could also include some loss in efficiency due to rain, wind. Also the drive from Moab to Flagstaff had some wind loss for sure.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Well now you have me curious since I live in Seattle and am originally from Idaho. What do you do for work that has you splitting time?
Went to School in Idaho (Caldwell) and Lived there 15 years (Sun Valley, Boise, etc.)

Some tech company decided they wanted to double my salary if I was willing to "work" in Seattle. So I live, work, and reluctantly tolerate the weather and lifestyle of the pacific northwest as an economic necessity, but my heart is with my friends and the lifestyle of the intermountain west. Airplane tickets are cheap, and I love to drive, so I spend a lot of time bouncing around not just Idaho, but also Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, and at times Arizona.

Last edited:

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I vote McCall next. Mostly because I want someone else to be the test dummy...

Edit: Obviously thanks for sharing! The first charge looked like you pulled pretty close to the theoretical curve. The second one was about 7 minutes "slower" than would be ideal. Not the end of the world, but it'll be nice when they clean that up a bit.

side note: It looks like around 15 to 20% charging losses scaling energy delivered against the usable pack size. Interestingly 10 to 55% with the theoretical curve and ~20% losses basically hits 140 miles in 20 minutes basing things off a range of 314 miles. I've yet to see someone pull 10 to 55% without throttling, so hopefully they can get that fixed to hit their claimed speeds. :)
N/S through Central Idaho is pretty much a disaster. McCall has some destination charging but there's nothing else available. Having driven a Leaf to McCall (because I could), was very interesting. The road is also very slow going and hilly, it's not just miles. Realistically, nobody is N/S transiting there. Some are, but most people stop -- detour to camping sites, go east/west into the national forest, haul a camper, or otherwise need to fuel up before returning.

A high speed DCFC in Cascade, ID where the road forks would be ideal. A 50kw one is probably adequate in McCall because there's enough to do for a few hours.

Lots of elevation gain and miles burned by the time you get there, especially with a trailer.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
N/S through Central Idaho is pretty much a disaster. McCall has some destination charging but there's nothing else available. Having driven a Leaf to McCall (because I could), was very interesting. The road is also very slow going and hilly, it's not just miles. Realistically, nobody is N/S transiting there. Some are, but most people stop -- detour to camping sites, go east/west into the national forest, haul a camper, or otherwise need to fuel up before returning.

A high speed DCFC in Cascade, ID where the road forks would be ideal. A 50kw one is probably adequate in McCall because there's enough to do for a few hours.

Lots of elevation gain and miles burned by the time you get there, especially with a trailer.
Yeah, I have been waffling over whether McCall, Cascade, New Meadows or Banks would be a better location. At this point I'd take anything that is 50kw or more at any of those locations.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yeah, I have been waffling over whether McCall, Cascade, New Meadows or Banks would be a better location. At this point I'd take anything that is 50kw or more at any of those locations.
Given the extreme high volume of recreational traffic that does not go past New Meadows, I would keep it south of there, although the nice thing is the 55/95 intersection that is there for the odd west-valley traveler. 95 is almost all local traffic though -- if you're in Boise you're going to take 55, and if your destination is any further north than Riggins (or origination anywhere west), you'll be on a different highway. That local areas boundaries won't have many EV owners.

Banks has nothing in it... good for the tourist-trap knife and gun store but that's about it. No cell service either.

Back to Cascade or McCall. You could supplement with Riggins if needed.

But really, the issue is not people going thru, but all the recreational traffic to the forest, lakes, that are almost always towing something.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Given the extreme high volume of recreational traffic that does not go past New Meadows, I would keep it south of there, although the nice thing is the 55/95 intersection that is there for the odd west-valley traveler. 95 is almost all local traffic though -- if you're in Boise you're going to take 55, and if your destination is any further north than Riggins (or origination anywhere west), you'll be on a different highway. That local areas boundaries won't have many EV owners.

Banks has nothing in it... good for the tourist-trap knife and gun store but that's about it. No cell service either.

Back to Cascade or McCall. You could supplement with Riggins if needed.

But really, the issue is not people going thru, but all the recreational traffic to the forest, lakes, that are almost always towing something.
Totally agree with you. I grew up in Boise as well, and my dad is still there so I visit a couple of times a year. Though I haven't been up north from Boise in several years.

At this point I want to be able to get up to Brundage and Tamarack in the winter, and to Payette, Deadwood, and Stanley Lake in the summer via 55 from Boise. Plus I just think it's still (even if it takes the same amount of time) to have to go through WA and OR to get from Coeur d'Alene to Boise. Banks would just be handy since it's at the highway 17 intersection, but you make a great point that it doesn't have cell coverage.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Totally agree with you. I grew up in Boise as well, and my dad is still there so I visit a couple of times a year. Though I haven't been up north from Boise in several years.

At this point I want to be able to get up to Brundage and Tamarack in the winter, and to Payette, Deadwood, and Stanley Lake in the summer via 55 from Boise. Plus I just think it's still (even if it takes the same amount of time) to have to go through WA and OR to get from Coeur d'Alene to Boise. Banks would just be handy since it's at the highway 17 intersection, but you make a great point that it doesn't have cell coverage.
Deadwood you can probably R/T from Boise -- but not with toys. Takes forever to get there, but mileage is low and slow.

Stanley Lake -- That's a problem. You can detour though Sun Valley and it's easy (DCFC), but Stanley, id would be a good charge addition. Maybe Rivian can sponsor a L2? The whole sawtooth national rec area is the issue. Option: Camp at a campground with 240v.

EV adoption is very low in Idaho and likely will be depressed for some time.

I can see an opportunity for a destination charger at Tamarack.

No real good solution here. I'd love to "invest" in a charger along this route, but the numbers never pen out, even if I had a free lot with business-grade power.
Sponsored