Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Has anyone in this group been on the section of the Trans American Trail that goes through OR, No. CA, No. NV??
Might be a fun PNW Riviot trip. Sort of a retrace where the Motor Trend/Rivian group went. They might be able to tell us where they charged along the way.

Maybe just the OR CA section? Just throwing out ideas.

Rivian R1T R1S PNW Leg of the Trans America Trail OR TransAmerTrailSection
Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Has anyone in this group been on the section of the Trans American Trail that goes through OR, No. CA, No. NV??
Might be a fun PNW Riviot trip. Sort of a retrace where the Motor Trend/Rivian group went. They might be able to tell us where they charged along the way.

Maybe just the OR CA section? Just throwing out ideas.

OR TransAmerTrailSection.jpg
Hell , I would love to retrace any of that trail, kids might get a little anxious on the Moab part… lol ? but sign me up too, I’ve never stepped a foot in Oregon…

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I'm down

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Rivian R1T R1S PNW Leg of the Trans America Trail chargers.PNG

Part of any group trip planning is going to need to recognize the limitations of the number of level 2 chargers available at the stops. A group of 5 or 6 adventure seekers pulling into a spot like this on their TAT are going to quickly realize an issue when the plan was to use the full night it takes to charge. The RV/campground spots are less of a problem as long as it is one where each spot has its own 240v outlet. Given the adventurous nature of the growing community, it will be interesting to see how often someone pulls into one of the RAN charging spots with plans to charge overnight only to find they have an 8-10 hour wait for the next open spot. It would be nice if the new App allowed you to do something like make a reservation, and anyone else in the planning phases of a trip would be able to see that any particular charger was already reserved.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

anyone else notice most of the chargers that they did stop at look like they were just installed that week. The concrete is still green on some of them.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
chargers.PNG

Part of any group trip planning is going to need to recognize the limitations of the number of level 2 chargers available at the stops. A group of 5 or 6 adventure seekers pulling into a spot like this on their TAT are going to quickly realize an issue when the plan was to use the full night it takes to charge. The RV/campground spots are less of a problem as long as it is one where each spot has its own 240v outlet. Given the adventurous nature of the growing community, it will be interesting to see how often someone pulls into one of the RAN charging spots with plans to charge overnight only to find they have an 8-10 hour wait for the next open spot. It would be nice if the new App allowed you to do something like make a reservation, and anyone else in the planning phases of a trip would be able to see that any particular charger was already reserved.
ABSOLUTELY!! I think is this every time there is talk about group adventures. Even DCFC could be quickly overwhelmed by a group of Rivians pulling in together to charge at the same time. My understanding is that most, if not all, DCFCers share the power source and the amount going to each bay can be dropped to spread the demand out. The RV park (240V) overnight option is actually the best way for a group of two or more to travel and charge together. For "large pack" owners, better plan on 300 miles or less each day.

Traveling like this is a brave new world and until the charging infrastructure is well builtout there will be a need for creative patient planning.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Check out the PCOR (Pacific Crest Overland Route). That's my plan for the first big adventure trip, though if I do the entire thing I'll probably have to break it up into several multi-week segments.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Check out the PCOR (Pacific Crest Overland Route). That's my plan for the first big adventure trip, though if I do the entire thing I'll probably have to break it up into several multi-week segments.
Ooooww...looks good! Have to add parts of that to my bucket list! Maybe Fall 2022...will I have my Riv by then? (LE/LG/FE: 12/4/2018 #3146)
Need to scope out charging locations. ?

https://nimblvehicles.com/the-pacific-crest-overland-route/

Rivian R1T R1S PNW Leg of the Trans America Trail 1632411052044
Rivian R1T R1S PNW Leg of the Trans America Trail 1632411071758

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation