Sponsored

Plugshare and RAN & Rivian Waypoints

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I sent a feature suggestion to Plugshare to add the RAN and Rivian Waypoints as "networks" that can be filtered like they have for EA, EVGo, Tesla Superchargers and Tesla Destination chargers, among others. Here's their, IMO, disappointing response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting PlugShare Support.

We understand you wish to have the Rivian company added to the "Network" filter in PlugShare. We know how important this would be and apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Please note, the companies added to the "Network" filter are partners we are working with who have supplied data to be imported to PlugShare. Unfortunately, we are only adding these type of companies due to the amount of locations they have and options that can be viewed when chosen.

We know Rivian will be huge and many locations will appear. Our business development team will work with major companies to ensure their data get imported to our platform for all to see. We ask for your patience during this time.

If you have any other questions, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist you. We hope this clarifies things and that you have a great day!

Regards,
PlugShare Support Team
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I'm not sure what's disappointing here. How many Rivian locations are even out there? Is it even a dozen yet?

The other networks they are working with have a ton of locations. If they added every charger network, the list of networks would be overwhelming (TBH, it's already pretty large and might be due for a UI improvement).

Once RAN is up and has some significant coverage, I'm sure they'll get added.

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I'm not sure what's disappointing here. How many Rivian locations are even out there? Is it even a dozen yet?

The other networks they are working with have a ton of locations. If they added every charger network, the list of networks would be overwhelming (TBH, it's already pretty large and might be due for a UI improvement).

Once RAN is up and has some significant coverage, I'm sure they'll get added.
There are over 40 RAN locations with known addresses already. I'm pretty sure there are at least a dozen Waypoints already in operation.

The disappointment is mostly that they'll only add a "network" if they get the data directly from the network operator. Since a large part of Plugshare's advantage over other sites is its crowdsharing assets, their response also makes me suspect that a network might even have to pay to have themselves listed. Maybe not. Maybe I'm just feeling particularly cynical this afternoon, but the term "partners" usually doesn't just mean "people who give us what we ask for"

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
There are over 40 RAN locations with known addresses already. I'm pretty sure there are at least a dozen Waypoints already in operation.
I think it's fair for them to not worry about listing addresses if they don't have working chargers yet.

The disappointment is mostly that they'll only add a "network" if they get the data directly from the network operator.
Yeah, I can see being disappointed by this. It would be nice to be able to have "unofficial" filtering for networks as a separate feature.

I would assume Rivian will pretty quickly jump on board once they have a bigger network.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It's an entry in a database and an extra piece of art in the app...it's not like it's difficult. The problem is that the longer they wait on this the more crowd-sourced data on Rivian chargers will show up in their database while being marked as Other. So really, by waiting, they're making more work for themselves or someone else down the road.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It reads to me this isn't just "send us all your chargers in a CSV file and we'll import them." Chances are there is some financial cost to this, although perhaps they open up other features (like showing stations in use).

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder of this is a function of them being acquired a year or two ago...

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
I just want to see one RAN open. Last I read that one in Colorado was completed but not yet operational. Is there a list of operational stations you can use in your r1t? It's disappointing to see these very large lists of 'in progress' stations with none being operational afaik. And if one is open I want to see 5. A company with more than 15 billion in cash can open a few if they really want to.

This reminds me of the early tesla supercharger days when there were huge lists of places with permits and guesses from looking at maps from tesla, but the reality of those stations took many years to clarify.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Don’t forget that PlugShare is owned by EVGo now so a lot of their decisions will be business driven going forward. They are no longer the independent upstart.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I just want to see one RAN open. Last I read that one in Colorado was completed but not yet operational. Is there a list of operational stations you can use in your r1t? It's disappointing to see these very large lists of 'in progress' stations with none being operational afaik. And if one is open I want to see 5. A company with more than 15 billion in cash can open a few if they really want to.

This reminds me of the early tesla supercharger days when there were huge lists of places with permits and guesses from looking at maps from tesla, but the reality of those stations took many years to clarify.
Things just take time to get done and I t is not all up to the owners.

Tesla just opened a new one in F.V., CA, it was completely done for almost 3 months before they got the green light from the utilities and permitting departments to turn it on.

Sponsored

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good afternoon

Is there an actual workable map (with actual addresses) or RAN and waypoints? I am in Socal so would figure a few would be here relatively quickly but not sure how to find them.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
Good afternoon

Is there an actual workable map (with actual addresses) or RAN and waypoints? I am in Socal so would figure a few would be here relatively quickly but not sure how to find them.
There are some user curated ones, for RAN, like this one - but apparently no RAN stations are currently open, so these are all future. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/v...ckGA714TJ&ll=40.59851631990813,-93.810149&z=3

For the waypoints there are lots of them around, but I haven't seen a map.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Don’t forget that PlugShare is owned by EVGo now so a lot of their decisions will be business driven going forward. They are no longer the independent upstart.
Isn't EvGo one of the networks embedded in Rivian navigation???
Sponsored