First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
the owners manual says to use conserve mode on all highway trips.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Hi @JoelD ... as a former Bolt owner (3yrs/45K miles) myself, I'm curious as to your average mi/kWh efficiency and total range driving the Bolt? It's a good yardstick to compare vs. the Rivian.

My overall efficiency in the Bolt over a 3yr/45K span was right at 4mi/kWh.

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Hi @JoelD ... as a former Bolt owner (3yrs/45K miles) myself, I'm curious as to your average mi/kWh efficiency and total range driving the Bolt? It's a good yardstick to compare vs. the Rivian.

My overall efficiency in the Bolt over a 3yr/45K span was right at 4mi/kWh.
Rob, that’s about on par for us. We are on our second Bolt. We had a 2017 that we traded in for a 2020 in January 2021. Close to 50,000 miles between the two. That extra 6 kWh in the battery makes a big difference on a trip! We get 4.5 or more on local stuff, but it drops on the highway. The Bolt is quite inefficient over 65 mph, but it loves intracity stop and go. The Rivian likes 70 mph much better, and wants to roll, not stop and go (from an efficiency standpoint).

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ that's very helpful... thank you! With that in mind, seeing our Bolt numbers are very similar- I'm expecting to see close to your efficiency numbers out of my R1T... if Rivian ever decides to deliver one that is.

I loved the Bolt, I just had issues w/the seats being uncomfortable for me after about 30min of driving. But, the car was trouble free for 45K miles so in my book it's a winner! I'm currently driving an i3 and those seats are completely comfortable, I can sit in them for hours with no discomfort.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
You guys are making me curious to go see what I’m getting in my kona.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I don’t see how tires would wear unevenly, they’re all still moving at the same rate/speed regardless, it’s not like your doing full throttle punches at 60 plus to blow the front tires up to wear them differently.
No, they aren’t. In conserve the front wheels are delivering all the torque and are, therefore, turning faster (slipping). No slip = no torque. They wear faster than the rear wheel tires.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Yeah just took a 290 mi trip yesterday at mostly speeds of 75-80 and had about 10 mi left, not bad! Then charged at home during off peak hrs and full(85%) when I woke up.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
I’m surprised at the range it gets at those speeds…
Just as a comparison my konas range estimate is pretty accurate until I approach 60mph. At 60 it’s still fairly accurate unless hills come into or wind. But if I cruise at even say 65mph the range starts dropping drastically. At 70 I’d say could probably cut the range by 20-25%

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Interestingly, it seems to like hilly northern VA better than the flatlands,
Would that be the regen? I seem to recall someone who took a test Rivian on a very hilly offroad trip and they were surprised how much battery was left at the end of the trip. They attributed it to the regen on all the down hills.

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Would that be the regen? I seem to recall someone who took a test Rivian on a very hilly offroad trip and they were surprised how much battery was left at the end of the trip. They attributed it to the regen on all the down hills.
Yes, and also I95 in NOVA has good quality pavement. The pavement hugely affects mileage in all vehicles, us EV drivers just notice it…

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I’m surprised at the range it gets at those speeds…
Just as a comparison my konas range estimate is pretty accurate until I approach 60mph. At 60 it’s still fairly accurate unless hills come into or wind. But if I cruise at even say 65mph the range starts dropping drastically. At 70 I’d say could probably cut the range by 20-25%
Agreed. I have a Bolt that really drops off in mileage going 65-70. I think that the difference is likely to be the power of the motors (even running just two in conserve mode). The motors in the Rivian don’t have to work as hard. The bolt has a single 200 hp motor, the Rivian has 4.

i see a similar effect with fishing boats here at the NC coast. I have a 24 foot Whaler walkaround with a single 250 hp outboard. My brother-in-law has a 25 foot Pursuit walkaround with twin 150 hp outboards. He gets probably 20% or more better fuel economy than me at the same speed. The difference is that my single motor works much harder, at higher RPM to maintain the same speed. So he has two motors totaling more hp than me on a very similar shaped And weighted hull, and it’s more fuel efficient.

A caveat…I’m a retired computer scientist and not a mechanical or fluid dynamics engineer…but empirically, it makes sense.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
Agreed. I have a Bolt that really drops off in mileage going 65-70. I think that the difference is likely to be the power of the motors (even running just two in conserve mode). The motors in the Rivian don’t have to work as hard. The bolt has a single 200 hp motor, the Rivian has 4.

i see a similar effect with fishing boats here at the NC coast. I have a 24 foot Whaler walkaround with a single 250 hp outboard. My brother-in-law has a 25 foot Pursuit walkaround with twin 150 hp outboards. He gets probably 20% or more better fuel economy than me at the same speed. The difference is that my single motor works much harder, at higher RPM to maintain the same speed. So he has two motors totaling more hp than me on a very similar shaped And weighted hull, and it’s more fuel efficient.

A caveat…I’m a retired computer scientist and not a mechanical or fluid dynamics engineer…but empirically, it makes sense.
Ya that makes sense. Being a millwright and knowledgeable on hydraulics electrical and such I probably should’ve put a little more thought into it I guess lol. But I’m on holidays so I try not to think. 🤣
Sponsored