Sponsored

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Keep in mind that larger rims translate to an overall "hit" in range. For your daily driving, you won't notice the difference, but on a longer road trip- it can be significant.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'll take the smallest rim available for the most side side wall. I assume that will be the 20".
Me too. I actually hope there is an all season tire option for the 20" wheel (same size as current AT, ~34"), but I'll wear a pair of ATs out before going aftermarket, if I have to.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Me too. I actually hope there is an all season tire option for the 20" wheel (same size as current AT, ~34"), but I'll wear a pair of ATs out before going aftermarket, if I have to.
I wonder what the range difference will be between the all season and the AT?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wonder what the range difference will be between the all season and the AT?
Good question, I bet it won't be substantial. My primary reasoning is less noise & better on road & wet traction. I'm not concerned with off road traction due to having 4 independent motors, plus the fact I'll be on pavement the majority of the time.

Sponsored

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Back to the original topic though- every set of Pirelli tires I've had has only lasted a fraction of the expected timeframe or mileage. I'm not expecting a drastic change with these, so hopefully some other manufacturers start making different options in the "unique size".
Same here - A Jag and 2 Volvo's with Pirelli's in my rearview - I had to get new tires WAY before the expected range of the tires - after my experience the with the first vehicle - I switched brands as soon as they wore out on the second and third vehicle... it is the quiet rolling and enhance grip - I am not a tire expert, but I think those elements lead to a soft tire that wears so much quicker. Besides they really don't perform well here in the PACNW with water on the road nearly 24/7/365...

If I end up with my R1S and it has Pirelli's I will be counting the days until I have to replace them...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If I end up with my R1S and it has Pirelli's I will be counting the days until I have to replace them...
Be sure not to order the 21" wheel package then. They will all come with Pirelli tires but it may be a while, if ever, before a decent alternative is offered in a 275/55R21 fitment.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Is anyone concerned about the custom tire size? What happens if when you need a replacement? You have to go to the Rivian service center? Will they price gouge? I've blown two tires simultaneously in the middle of nowhere before. I guess with the Rivian and 21" wheels I'd be screwed.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Is anyone concerned about the custom tire size? What happens if when you need a replacement? You have to go to the Rivian service center? Will they price gouge? I've blown two tires simultaneously in the middle of nowhere before. I guess with the Rivian and 21" wheels I'd be screwed.
There is no reason to assume that the spec tire will only be available through Rivian. You should be able to purchase through Discount Tire, Tire Rack, or any local tire shop that carries Pirelli - same as with any other manufacturer spec tire. It may not be in stock for same day install but they should be able to source within a few days. Rivian's service may have an advantage there as they will (hopefully) keep them in stock. What is questionable though is whether any other manufacturer will see enough market potential to offer this size in the future so that there is an option other than Pirelli.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very solid reason to go either 20" or 22"...

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Ask early i3 owners about the cost/availability of replacements for a tire size unique to a specific vehicle.
I configured a LE with the 22's, but a bit concerned about the range impact. Difference between the 20 & 22 on the Model X is a 12% drop in range. Good news is we can change our configuration later after range ratings are released if we need to.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
For the price of the upgrade, you could simply buy new aftermarket wheels and tires of your choosing and have two set.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Be sure not to order the 21" wheel package then. They will all come with Pirelli tires but it may be a while, if ever, before a decent alternative is offered in a 275/55R21 fitment.
Agree! I looked on TireRack...they had 1 tire that would fit this 21" rim.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
@electruck I think your statement here is interesting and warrants a little further discussion. I'm very far away from being extremely knowledgeable from tires. I know the basics like most, but i've never delved super deep. With that said, are you able to shed some light on why the 275/55R21 size hasn't been produced previously? What is so novel about that size, including its advantages/disadvantages, and why do you think Rivian worked with a manufacturer (Pirelli in this case) to offer that size specifically? I can understand Rivian wanting to work with a tire producer on a specific rubber compound/formula, etc., especially for electric vehicles and their torque output etc., but it's that tailor made size I find intriguing. I would like to think or hope they didn't do it just to be proprietary like certain companies that rhyme with grApple ;)

Furthermore, why do you think it might be so long before a decent alternative is offered? This is an assumption, but I can only guess there may be some disadvantages to that size, or, it's simply just going to take manufacturers a while to ramp up production on a size that hasn't been done before. Or, even more likely, why make it at all if only one vehicle manufacturer (Rivian) is planning on using it, at least for the foreseeable future?

I think the answers to the above, or at least a discussion about it, is useful intel to those that are considering going with the 21s.

I'm willing to wait, and clearly will be for some time if I go with the 21s, but I really would like to see other tire manufactures start making the 275/55 R21. I'd really be pumped if Nokian would make their All Weather-WR G4 tires. Those would be fantastic here in CO.
Sponsored