Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

I have been searching for images and info on what the belly of the R1T looks like with and without the off-road upgrade, and I can't find anything. Can anyone with a truck now post some picks?

I'm playing with the idea of replacing the upgrade skid plates with HDPE skids, or maybe not paying the $2K and going straight to the HDPE.

Waiting for this truck is ging me too much time to play with ideas, lol
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
There are no trucks without the offroad package at present.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have been searching for images and info on what the belly of the R1T looks like with and without the off-road upgrade, and I can't find anything. Can anyone with a truck now post some picks?

I'm playing with the idea of replacing the upgrade skid plates with HDPE skids, or maybe not paying the $2K and going straight to the HDPE.

Waiting for this truck is ging me too much time to play with ideas, lol
This is a terrible idea. Why would some aftermarket plastic product be better than the OEM?

Reinforced underbody shield
Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

Also, despite what someone else implied, every truck built which has been photographed has the offroad package. You can tell this by the hooks in front.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Also, despite what someone else implied, every truck built which has been photographed has the offroad package. You can tell this by the hooks in front.
I agree with your conclusion, though the EPA tested truck / SUV supposedly did not have the offroad package. At this time, there is absolutely no detail on what the "reinforced underbody shield" of the offroad package actually adds or reinforces to the standard underbody shield. We'll have to see once they start putting these out in March / April. In looking through some of the surveys after the estimated dates were released, there was no indication that offroad upgrade would impact timing so they should be available simultaneously, or nearly so.

As usual, more details coming ... s OO n.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
I agree with your conclusion, though the EPA tested truck / SUV supposedly did not have the offroad package. At this time, there is absolutely no detail on what the "reinforced underbody shield" of the offroad package actually adds or reinforces to the standard underbody shield. We'll have to see once they start putting these out in March / April. In looking through some of the surveys after the estimated dates were released, there was no indication that offroad upgrade would impact timing so they should be available simultaneously, or nearly so.

As usual, more details coming ... s OO n.
This… Is one of the options that really bothers me. The below description is for the R1 WITHOUT the off-road package. Every CS I speak with confirms it, but they give me nothing of value beyond getting the tow hooks with the upgrade…

“Reinforced underbody shield
Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions”

Unless I’m mistaken, “…the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions” means… the most extreme off-road conditions.

What are they expecting the off-road option to provide beyond tow hooks for that extra $2k? Is it in case a grenade or land mine goes off underneath?!

Last edited:

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This… Is one of the options that really bothers me. The below description is for the R1 WITHOUT the off-road package. Every CS I speak with confirms it, but they give me nothing of value beyond getting the tow hooks with the upgrade…

“Reinforced underbody shield
Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions”

Unless I’m mistaken, “…the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions” means… the most extreme off-road conditions.

What are they expecting the off-road option to provide beyond tow hooks for that extra $2k? Is it in case a grenade or land mine goes off underneath?!
The consensus is that the offroad package extends said armor from *just the battery* to the front and rear of the truck. So you'd be getting armor to protect the motors and inboard suspension bits.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
The consensus is that the offroad package extends said armor from *just the battery* to the front and rear of the truck. So you'd be getting armor to protect the motors and inboard suspension bits.
Yeah, Ive also heard similar from CS that it extends the protection to the edges of the car side to side beyond the side edges of the battery, but that the motor and suspension is covered as we’ve seen.. The one pic we have seen of an R1T without the off-road package still appeared to not show the same skid plate going down towards the suspension and motor which might support this statement, though the pic doesnt show underneath the truck and maybe pre-production… We shouldn’t have to be guessing, like all else. Which is ridiculous.

That said, still not convinced of the value of it. I just can’t get past this “marketing” statement, though if it referred to the battery only instead of the underbody of the car it would be more clear. “Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions”. My Tesla protects the motors, though Im sure more plastic bits where the battery isn’t, so maybe the difference is where they use plastic and where they use reinforced compositing other than the battery.

Spin the wheel, place your bets! ?

Last edited:

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm thinking of getting the off-road package simply because that's what they're building now. I'm one of the people that skipped Launch Edition for Max Pack and got burned with the delay. Now I'm going back to Adventure/Large and am waiting for a delivery date. I'm hoping the off-road package gets it the truck me sooner.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'm thinking of getting the off-road package simply because that's what they're building now. I'm one of the people that skipped Launch Edition for Max Pack and got burned with the delay. Now I'm going back to Adventure/Large and am waiting for a delivery date. I'm hoping the off-road package gets it the truck me sooner.
FWIW, I don't currently have the off-road package configured and it didn't seem to impact my delivery window estimate relative to those in my region who do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Derek

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Yeah, Ive also heard similar from CS that it extends the protection to the edges of the car side to side beyond the side edges of the battery, but that the motor and suspension is covered as we’ve seen.. The one pic we have seen of an R1T without the off-road package still appeared to not show the same skid plate going down towards the suspension and motor which might support this statement, though the pic doesnt show underneath the truck and maybe pre-production… We shouldn’t have to be guessing, like all else. Which is ridiculous.

That said, still not convinced of the value of it. I just can’t get past this “marketing” statement, though if it referred to the battery only instead of the underbody of the car it would be more clear. “Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions”. My Tesla protects the motors, though Im sure more plastic bits where the battery isn’t, so maybe the difference is where they use plastic and where they use reinforced compositing other than the battery.

Spin the wheel, place your bets! ?
This has been one I've been going back and for with for months.
If they are adding a second layer of "armor" to the underside or protecting more under the truck (motors, suspension...). Like I said in the original post, if it's only a second layer, I can use HDPE (something used in the offroad market for years) and save myself $2K.

I've already seen some early pictures of prototype front bumpers with tow hooks and a winch, so I think that will be coming soon.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
For the sake of posting this pic in this thread… highjacked the pic from another thread on the off-road upgrade
Rivian R1T R1S Pic request: R1T underside / undercarriage with and without Off-Road Upgrade 1643817352294

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

For the sake of posting this pic in this thread… highjacked the pic from another thread on the off-road upgrade
1643817352294.jpeg
that's the best i have ever seen the 21"s look

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
I have it still configured with the off-road upgrade — just wanting to learn enough about it before committing… which is still months away for me

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
1643817352294.jpeg
Now if we could only get some pics of the underside of this beauty (the truck).

Without any apparent confirmation of what the off-road upgrade includes (other than the tow hooks), I've just got to assume it includes just a layer of plastic extending past the standard battery armor. Essentially, an almost pure profit option for Rivian. (Full disclosure: it is still part of my configuration.)
Sponsored