Photos of RAN Chargers construction in NC

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Stopped by the RAN charger location in Henderson NC to see how construction was going. Glad to see some rivian build up in NC

Rivian R1T R1S Photos of RAN Chargers construction in NC 8D4A3EC7-8DD0-4EDA-957A-F4B996182DC1

Rivian R1T R1S Photos of RAN Chargers construction in NC 588E4ECC-4DCB-42C4-90E3-FD41F4A97F48

Rivian R1T R1S Photos of RAN Chargers construction in NC 78B6B727-D5FA-4A7F-89BC-29CE77443598
Sponsored

sickhews

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback
Whoa this is cool to see! Would love to see them adding these to the western part of NC for all the mountain trips I'm going to be taking when my truck arrives!

Potentially naive question here, how'd you learn about this RAN location? Would love to see if there are any being built around me in CLT!

Edit: found this map in a different thread: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/viewer?usp=sharing&mid=1F-jpeAQfTwoHqy4dYtOStXLckGA714TJ

This one: https://aca-prod.accela.com/CHARLOT...apID2=00000&capID3=00193&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE

Is ten minutes from me. As soon as I get a chance I'll go over and see if anything has started over there. There's a target and an REI right there. It's right beside 485/Northlake.

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Whoa this is cool to see! Would love to see them adding these to the western part of NC for all the mountain trips I'm going to be taking when my truck arrives!

Potentially naive question here, how'd you learn about this RAN location? Would love to see if there are any being built around me in CLT!

Edit: found this map in a different thread: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/viewer?usp=sharing&mid=1F-jpeAQfTwoHqy4dYtOStXLckGA714TJ

This one: https://aca-prod.accela.com/CHARLOT...apID2=00000&capID3=00193&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE

Is ten minutes from me. As soon as I get a chance I'll go over and see if anything has started over there. There's a target and an REI right there. It's right beside 485/Northlake.
I was in Charlotte yesterday and a RAN station was sorely needed. The fast charging situation in CLT is underwhelming at best. Needed to DCFC to get from IKEA to home in Charleston (about 200 miles). Used Rivian nav to find a DCFC station on the route(ish), an EVgo station that Rivian had as up to 350kw so I was expecting to get up to 220 and get my 200 miles in about 30 mins as I have at EA.

Get to the station and there's a person in a BMW X5 hybrid trying to use the DCFC to charge her car, blocking the only available spot. The 350kw station was being worked on by a repairman and was offline, leaving 2 100 kW stations, one occupied by a MachE and the other occupied by the BMW. After minutes of messing around not understanding why they couldn't plug a DCFC plug into a hybrid, the person left and I pulled in and plugged in. The 100kw station and was getting 85ish kw for the entire charge, which meant a full hour to get the needed miles to get home.

Not ideal to say the least.

sickhews

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback
I was in Charlotte yesterday and a RAN station was sorely needed. The fast charging situation in CLT is underwhelming at best. Needed to DCFC to get from IKEA to home in Charleston (about 200 miles). Used Rivian nav to find a DCFC station on the route(ish), an EVgo station that Rivian had as up to 350kw so I was expecting to get up to 220 and get my 200 miles in about 30 mins as I have at EA.

Get to the station and there's a person in a BMW X5 hybrid trying to use the DCFC to charge her car, blocking the only available spot. The 350kw station was being worked on by a repairman and was offline, leaving 2 100 kW stations, one occupied by a MachE and the other occupied by the BMW. After minutes of messing around not understanding why they couldn't plug a DCFC plug into a hybrid, the person left and I pulled in and plugged in. The 100kw station and was getting 85ish kw for the entire charge, which meant a full hour to get the needed miles to get home.

Eeeek that's not good to hear at all! I live in Charlotte so hopefully I'm not regularly in need of a DCFC since I'll pretty much always be in range of home in the city, but for use cases exactly like yours that's not at all what you want to hear.

I'm worried about this exact scenario playing out but in the western part of the state, which is where I'm planning on doing most of my adventuring (and have been for several years with my ICE vehicle).

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Re: RAN in the NC mountains, when I was in Boone early last month charging my R1T at a 62.5 kW station at the local power company, Blue Ridge Energy (a very nice stop, nice folks there, very cheap charging), they said they’d been working with Rivian on an RAN charger in Blowing Rock. They said they’d done the provisioning of the power connection.

Sponsored

sickhews

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback
Re: RAN in the NC mountains, when I was in Boone early last month charging my R1T at a 62.5 kW station at the local power company, Blue Ridge Energy (a very nice stop, nice folks there, very cheap charging), they said they’d been working with Rivian on an RAN charger in Blowing Rock. They said they’d done the provisioning of the power connection.
That's amazing news!! I'm up out that way all the time. Now we just need one in Asheville, near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and by the Linville Gorge and all of my spots will be covered. The future is bright!

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Clubs

You could have went to the Electrify America chargers a few miles away from Ikea in the Walmart parking lot. I have a Mach-E and have stopped there a few times with no issues.

I have learned to just stick with the EA app when traveling with the Mach-E to plan my routes. I then use PlugShare to get an idea of how nice the chargers really are and if they in fact work.

Hopefully one day will have a R1T in the driveway.

Thanks,

Ken~

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

You could have went to the Electrify America chargers a few miles away from Ikea in the Walmart parking lot. I have a Mach-E and have stopped there a few times with no issues.

I have learned to just stick with the EA app when traveling with the Mach-E to plan my routes. I then use PlugShare to get an idea of how nice the chargers really are and if they in fact work.

Hopefully one day will have a R1T in the driveway.

Thanks,

Ken~
I saw those chargers and thought about going there since all my DCFC charging experience was with EA to that point, but I wanted something more on my route so I let the Rivian nav plan the charge and route. I've had some issues now with EA too so it's not exactly foolproof.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Any chance they gave any hints as to where in Blowing Rock? Downtown would be ideal for having things to do, but it’s excellent news no matter where it goes.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
They mentioned a location, and my wife and I remember something about a Target store, but I’m not in an area with good connectivity now, and can’t confirm there’s a Target in Blowing Rock…sorry!

Sponsored

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
They mentioned a location, and my wife and I remember something about a Target store, but I’m not in an area with good connectivity now, and can’t confirm there’s a Target in Blowing Rock…sorry!
There’s no Target in Blowing Rock. They were speaking of the Tanger Outlets (“Shoppes On The Parkway”). I have heard from a couple reliable people that they will be building a RAN DCFC at Shoppes On The Parkway.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
There’s no Target in Blowing Rock. They were speaking of the Tanger Outlets (“Shoppes On The Parkway”). I have heard from a couple reliable people that they will be building a RAN DCFC at Shoppes On The Parkway.
Thx! Well, it had a “T” and 6 letters, so I was close! 😜

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The outlets make sense, but aren’t my preference. Oh well, thankfully it would just be 45 minutes to an hour every few days of my typical trip to that area.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Looked for this one couple of weeks ago but could not find it. Hopefully it is operational soon.

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
Played golf today with a gentleman associated with Blue Ridge Energy and he said the Rivian charger in Blowing Rock was very close, just some issues with Rivian delaying the activation. Very interested in the truck as mine was the first he had seen in person.
Sponsored