Sponsored

Phone key unlocks the vehicle but cannot ready/activate it

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Mine had been working issue free for 15k miles. And since update of truck, and also recent uodate phone....Galaxy S20....I have to toggle Bluetooth more thank 50% of time....to get the truck to see the phone, to drive.

But not bitching....hating on Rivian...Etc...Love the truck...best vehical ever....holding all my stock, etc...
Similar issue with my S20+, unlocks the vehicle etc perfectly fine, but get in and try to dive and no dice, present key card or fob.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I did a full reset a week or two ago and have had perfect PaaK since. Not sure if it's just been a particularly good week for PaaK or if the reset actually resolved the issue, but time will tell.

My process was:

1. Delete phone key in vehicle
2. Uninstall Rivian app
3. Hard reset of R1T
4. Reboot Phone
5. Install Rivian app
6. Add phone as a key

WestRivian7000

First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
NONE
Clubs

Similar issue with my S20+, unlocks the vehicle etc perfectly fine, but get in and try to dive and no dice, present key card or fob.
Experiencing the issue mentioned in this thread. Got the vehicle on friday.
The phone key worked fine for a couple of days. Today wanted to try out the card key and used it to unlock and start the car. But know, the car is always expecting to have activate the car using the card. Doesn't seem to recognize the phone. I can unlock the car but still need the card once inside the car. Went through the thread but don't know if there is a definite solution that works.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Experiencing the issue mentioned in this thread. Got the vehicle on friday.
The phone key worked fine for a couple of days. Today wanted to try out the card key and used it to unlock and start the car. But know, the car is always expecting to have activate the car using the card. Doesn't seem to recognize the phone. I can unlock the car but still need the card once inside the car. Went through the thread but don't know if there is a definite solution that works.
It should not matter that you used a different key. Have you tried closing and reopening it? Have you tried power cycling the phone?

WestRivian7000

First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
NONE
Clubs

It should not matter that you used a different key. Have you tried closing and reopening it? Have you tried power cycling the phone?
Yes. Tried both. Everything I get in the car, I get a prompt to present the card key. Finally tried the solution somebody mentioned on this thread , to turn on airplane mode and turn off. That seems to work for now.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yes. Tried both. Everything I get in the car, I get a prompt to present the card key. Finally tried the solution somebody mentioned on this thread , to turn on airplane mode and turn off. That seems to work for now.
It’s not telling you to present the card key, just that you need a key. I’ve found when mine does this it sometimes just takes another 5-10 seconds to detect the phone (even though the phone just unlocked the truck) or I can take out the phone and open the app and it works right away.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I've had this issue happen once recently. As soon as I opened the Rivian app the truck recognized my key and off I went.

OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
In addition to PaaK, does anyone else have trouble waking your Rivian through the app? I have nearly a 0% success rate trying to wake mine up and/or activate climate, open the hood, etc. I can basically only control it if it's already awake.

The PaaK issues I can toss up to poor or disparate Bluetooth implementations, but the over-the-internet controls should be reliable.

OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My PaaK has been working amazingly with the newest update. Wassym's team looked at my logs and thought the newest update would address my issue so I'm hopeful that it's addressed for good, because it's been a huge upgrade to have seamless PaaK
🙏

Trainphilos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Immediately following the most recent software patch that was pushed to my R1T yesterday, my phone key continues to automatically lock/unlock the vehicle based on proximity, but the vehicle no longer readies itself when I sit down. Fortunately I keep the card key in my wallet as a backup which continues to work.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anything that can be done?

I've tried doing what I can on my phone (rebooting, turning bluetooth on/off, opening the Rivian app, etc.) but I can't see my phone being the problem since it's clearly working to unlock the vehicle.
Immediately following the most recent software patch that was pushed to my R1T yesterday, my phone key continues to automatically lock/unlock the vehicle based on proximity, but the vehicle no longer readies itself when I sit down. Fortunately I keep the card key in my wallet as a backup which continues to work.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anything that can be done?

I've tried doing what I can on my phone (rebooting, turning bluetooth on/off, opening the Rivian app, etc.) but I can't see my phone being the problem since it's clearly working to unlock the vehicle.
I have exactly this same issue now with my iPhone. The R1S updated to 2023.26.0 today ( 18 July 2023). The phone unlocks/locks the vehicle, but the vehicle will not ready/start and stays in Park. I have never had any issues until this update today.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have exactly this same issue now with my iPhone. The R1S updated to 2023.26.0 today ( 18 July 2023). The phone unlocks/locks the vehicle, but the vehicle will not ready/start and stays in Park. I have never had any issues until this update today.
I’ve seen that twice since I have had my R1S, message on driver display said present key to start. I force closed the Rivian App on my iPhone (once on a 12 pro max and once on a 14 pro max) then restarted the app and all was good.

Trainphilos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’ve seen that twice since I have had my R1S, message on driver display said present key to start. I force closed the Rivian App on my iPhone (once on a 12 pro max and once on a 14 pro max) then restarted the app and all was good.
I will give that a try. Thanks.

OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My PaaK has been working amazingly with the newest update. Wassym's team looked at my logs and thought the newest update would address my issue so I'm hopeful that it's addressed for good, because it's been a huge upgrade to have seamless PaaK
🙏
Another month later and my PaaK is still working amazingly so I think my issue has been solved once and for all.

That said, one edge case I've found is that sometimes, if I disable Bluetooth at some point and then re-enable it later, my PaaK won't work until I restart my phone. I'm guessing that there's some process within the Rivian app that dies when it can't access BT and doesn't restart correctly just by turning BT back on.

Zormino

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
This happened to me in the past on my Samsung phone and I had to go into developer settings, change Bluetooth AVRCP to a newer version, and re-setup the phone as a key to get it working. Although the unreliability has me carrying the key fob anyways.
Sponsored