Sponsored

Phone key unlocks the vehicle but cannot ready/activate it

Bkasten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 tundra, 98 lexus gs400
I've had a mobile tech out twice to try and figure this out, The devs seem to have given up too. I currently have a Pixel 5, the tech is convinced it's the phone and I need to try another phone. The only way I can get the phone key to work is after "repair"ing and then it only works for about 8 hours. I have all the latest builds of the Rivian app and Android OS. The tech suggested I do a factory reset on my phone. I'm not happy about that. For me, this all started after a security update in August.
I've been having the same issue with mine the past 2 weeks or so. Close the app, Turn airplane mode on and off. Simplest fix for my case and so far so good. (I have had to do it 2-3 times)
Sponsored

happyjohn14

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Occupation
IT
I've been having the same issue with mine the past 2 weeks or so. Close the app, Turn airplane mode on and off. Simplest fix for my case and so far so good. (I have had to do it 2-3 times)
I'll try the airplane mode toggle tomorrow.

happyjohn14

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Occupation
IT
This is working for me! Weird, but thanks.

jbarrion

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My 2022 R1S was delivered on Feb 18 with the software version 2023.02.03 already installed. I've been struggling with having to reset my phone key as others have stated. Called support twice on this issue and both times they said to reset car and restart pairing process with my phone as a fix. I have a Samsung S22 and the only other phone connected to the car is my wife's (also a Samsung S22).

The airplane mode toggle worked for me today without having to reset my car or phone connection. I think it is an Android problem... Next time I call Rivian support, I will let them know about the "fix" described in this thread. I hope it is a permanent fix, but if not, it's much easier than having to reset the car and then pair my phone (not to mention the hassle of having to use the key card to start the car).

Thanks for posting a solution!

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine had been working issue free for 15k miles. And since update of truck, and also recent uodate phone....Galaxy S20....I have to toggle Bluetooth more thank 50% of time....to get the truck to see the phone, to drive.

But not bitching....hating on Rivian...Etc...Love the truck...best vehical ever....holding all my stock, etc...

Sponsored

FTWRS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Occupation
Consulting
Iā€™ve had my S for about a month now. iPhone has worked flawlessly until about 2 days ago. It wonā€™t automatically lock or unlock the vehicle. I can open the app and do it. It seems to recognize the phone when I walk up as the back taillight glows red for a second, but wonā€™t automatically unlock. Any suggestions?

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Iā€™ve had my S for about a month now. iPhone has worked flawlessly until about 2 days ago. It wonā€™t automatically lock or unlock the vehicle. I can open the app and do it. It seems to recognize the phone when I walk up as the back taillight glows red for a second, but wonā€™t automatically unlock. Any suggestions?
Same for me with my R1T.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Not sure what phone you are using. On the iPhone, if you set location services to only when app is running the app needs to be open to unlock the vehicle. If it is set to always for the Rivian App it does not have to be open.

I have mine set to only when app is open, that way I can close the app and do not get the random unlocks walking around the house with my phone.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Same for me, worked nearly flawlessly until 2 days ago. Also on an iPhone. Tried the basic stuff with no success, but have not tried a hard reset since Iā€™m a little worried based on some anecdotes Iā€™ve heard on these forums. I suspect thatā€™s what CS will tell me to do, so Iā€™m currently just in a wait and see mode.

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
Maybe double check the setting in the center console to ensure your key settings werenā€™t mistakenly changed during an update (or something).

Sponsored

FTWRS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Occupation
Consulting
Same for me, worked nearly flawlessly until 2 days ago. Also on an iPhone. Tried the basic stuff with no success, but have not tried a hard reset since Iā€™m a little worried based on some anecdotes Iā€™ve heard on these forums. I suspect thatā€™s what CS will tell me to do, so Iā€™m currently just in a wait and see mode.
Iā€™m afraid of the hard reset as well. I did a soft reboot but didnā€™t help. I have a SC appt in a week to fix a few other things so I will let them deal with it then.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Iā€™m afraid of the hard reset as well. I did a soft reboot but didnā€™t help. I have a SC appt in a week to fix a few other things so I will let them deal with it then.
Found the fix today. Somehow, proximity lock/unlock got turned off for my iPhone but not for my fob. I definitely didnā€™t mess with the settings and no one else was in my truck. Must have been a software glitch or something, but now itā€™s fixed. Maybe try that.

FTWRS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Occupation
Consulting
Found the fix today. Somehow, proximity lock/unlock got turned off for my iPhone but not for my fob. I definitely didnā€™t mess with the settings and no one else was in my truck. Must have been a software glitch or something, but now itā€™s fixed. Maybe try that.
That worked. Thank you!

happyjohn14

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Occupation
IT
So, I hate to say this, but upgrading from the Pixel 5 to Pixel 7 seems to have resolved the issue for me so far. I haven't had to toggle anything since I made the change. :(

OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Recently the Rivian app had a prompt in the pull up menu to allow the app to "manage my key for more reliable locking and unlocking", at which point android prompted me to accept the request.

Not sure if this new permission will help yet, but I was excited to see an option to improve the reliability.
Sponsored